THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    RUMORS about AFTON House!!!!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RUMORS about AFTON House!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To Whom it may concern: I recently spoke with a travel agent about booking a trip to Africa.

Wanting to overnight at the Afton, I inquired about a reservation, and they expressed to me that AFTON house has been SOLD, and that because of new owners, they wouldn't refer any clients without a proven track record and wanted to book me somewhere else.... I asked again, out of surprise AFTON sold? the agent again, assured me that AFTON has indeed been sold.

SURPRISED by this news of the Afton being sold, I called the DAUGHTER of the owners of AFTON, who is also a travel agent, and inquired about her family's business status.

She informed me that there had been an offer, however the AFTON house has not been sold, isn't under contract, ect.....SO I just wanted to set the story straight, I'm very disappointed to find out that a certain Travel agency that is regularly recommended here is spreading false information, which might have roots in personal issues, in order to direct clients away from a service that many of us have come to enjoy and rely on.

Giving a client a choice of another guest house is no crime, however, lying about another person's business to support your personal agenda is not OK!

SO in Summary, The AFTON house is open for business, and your host will continue to be Annalise and Louis.

I know where I'm staying and which travel agents are not getting my money!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please name the Booking agent/s who are involved with this sham so we all know who is into the "game playing" for their own benefit scenerio. This just might keep someone else from getting the same treatment. Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meant to Travel Agents, sorry.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that would surprise me if they had been sold and only allowing proven clients considering that they're doing permit expediting/meet and greet service for me in just over two weeks. They had no problem allowing me to book with them personally if I needed to do so. Oh, and they don't know me from Moses: this is the first time I've ever dealt with them.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bellevue, NE, USA | Registered: 05 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
SURPRISED by this news of the Afton being sold, I called the DAUGHTER of the owners of AFTON, who is also a travel agent, and inquired about her family's business status.

She informed me that there had been an offer, however the AFTON house has not been sold, isn't under contract,

I spoke to Annelise in Africa, literally minutes ago. There was an offer, but the deal fell through, and it is business as usual for Louis and Annelise.

I am glad they will be there when we stay at Afton's on August 30th.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From topic:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...741081421#8741081421

quote:
Originally posted by DEW:
I asked Gracy travel the same thing at the DSC. They said the Afton was being sold. They wanted a track history with the new owners before they send clients there.

I was lead to believe they were "SOLD as well, which is NOT TRUE.... A COMPLETE MISREPRESENTATION OF THE TRUTH!

posted Hide Post
All, Afton House is not sold and Annelise and Louie are still doing a 5 star service. I'm not sure who's playing games with this but it's not cool and it's obvious to everyone what you are trying to do...it's not working

All, lets make it a point to stop by Afton house when in Joberg, or passing through on the way out or coming back. Just a nice place to kick back before the 26 hour flight!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this newcomer (and i suspect all newcomers) would benefit greatly from learning who shoots straight and who doesn't. i know that when i call someone i see referenced here for any service or info i go into the conversation with the belief that i can rely on what he or she tells me. to hear that there is a "fungus amoung us" without a more specific id makes me nervous when i pick up the phone to seek help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The report of my conversation is accurate and truthful. It was what I was told.

Posts: 33 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad that they will be there when I arrive in about fifty-five days. It would not be Afton House without Louie and Annelise to visit with.

This is about the second or third post recently by someone who has been given information by Gracey Travel that does not prove to be the truth...
Enough so that I have taken them off of my list of companies to do business with or refer others to do so.
The economy can cause some folks to do strange things.

Rich
did I mention just fifty-five days until I return to Africa? I did? Hmmmmmmmm...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I am glad that they will be there when I arrive in about fifty-five days. It would not be Afton House without Louie and Annelise to visit with.

This is about the second or third post recently by someone who has been given information by Gracey Travel that does not prove to be the truth...
Enough so that I have taken them off of my list of companies to do business with or refer others to do so.
The economy can cause some folks to do strange things.

Rich
did I mention just fifty-five days until I return to Africa? I did? Hmmmmmmmm...

Not to derail this thread, but given the circumstances, I just want to point out how professional Annelise, in particular, has been in dealing with my permits. She helped me, an Africa first-timer, through the entire SAPS 520 form process over a Skype phone call and inspected the entire thing to ensure accuracy. After our call I went to bed. I woke up to find an email saying it was good to go and she would notify me when it was handed to SAPS and approved. Sure enough, a young lady named Tina emailed me with confirmation of permit approval a few days ago (about a week and change turnaround time).

Despite less than a month's notice, Annelise took measures to save me from the added expense of paying for international overnight mail to get my forms to her in time and made the whole process as painless as possible. All that's left to do is meet her or her rep at JoBurg airport to thank them in person and catch my transfer flight to Port Elizabeth. So far, I am extremely pleased with their service and would recommend them in a heartbeat to anyone needing similar help and desiring similar treatment.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bellevue, NE, USA | Registered: 05 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'll be there on March 4th for the umpteenth time. Can't wait. Only decision is whether to eat the good steak at Afton or go to the Italian restaurant.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to remain rational guys, NOT.

If you think locigally and not EMOTIONALLY you can clearly see that Gracy was using caution beacause the Afton was was on the market and almost sold.

It didn't sell THIS TIME it would be safe to assume that it is still for sale and could easily be sold at any point in the future.

Would I be upset if the Afton house was sold and changed owners between the time I booked and the time I arrived with out a word from anyone? You bet.

Hang up the emotion and make a business decision and it may be a risk you are willing to take.

Think of it this way. The hardware store in the center of your town is for sale and was almost sold 3 months ago. Is it likely that hardware store will be sold in the near future? You bet.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Afton was NOT in the market, a person made an offer and it did not
work out. I am in contact with Afton ( A&L) and they will tell you
the same. Gracy Travel could have phoned to check with Afton, ,
before telling clients that Afton was sold,after all Gracy claims to
be 'close friends' with A&L, and I'm sure she would not want mis
information about them floating around the internet, isn't that right
Deb?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24 -Gracy Travel switched places they were booking their clients into sometime ago I believe. Didn't realize they were telling people that Afton was sold until the current findings are coming forth.

As a business Gracy Travel can use any source they want to push their clients toward. Most likely they get more of a cut from the new people they are pushing now? That can be a "good business" decision on their part, but to bad mouth and spread untruths about the Afton House, their former associate is "bad business". People who's business relies on good faith and good reputation should play straight up with people.

I too will put them on the back burner for now and not tout them to anyone I consider friends. Maybe an explanation will be forthcoming from Gracy Travel on this issue. There are always two sides to the story?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gracy Travel is using them (African Sky Guest house) now unless someone requests Afton House and the reports are very good. They have a restaurant on site and they will haul you away from the O.R. Tembo without waiting for other customers that do not have their SAPS completed correctly.

Mark

Let's not start bashing Gracy without knowing all the facts. The above is what I posted 17 Dec. Gracy is not trying to run Afton House out of business but just trying to provide the best service possible for their clients. my clients have stayed at African Sky and been very happy.

I'm glad that people including my clients have had great expereinces with Afton but that doesn't mean they offer the only good service or that theirs is the best service.

Sometimes I think peole are looking for a conspiracy behind everything. Gracy is probably the best informed in the industry but they do not always know everything. I had a client come up with some mileage usage info they did not have recently. I'm sure what they told people about Afton was the truth as they knew it. I would think they could be given the benfit of the doubt since so many people have used their services without a hitch.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
Way to remain rational guys, NOT.

If you think locigally and not EMOTIONALLY you can clearly see that Gracy was using caution beacause the Afton was was on the market and almost sold.

It didn't sell THIS TIME it would be safe to assume that it is still for sale and could easily be sold at any point in the future.

Would I be upset if the Afton house was sold and changed owners between the time I booked and the time I arrived with out a word from anyone? You bet.

Hang up the emotion and make a business decision and it may be a risk you are willing to take.

Think of it this way. The hardware store in the center of your town is for sale and was almost sold 3 months ago. Is it likely that hardware store will be sold in the near future? You bet.

Oh bsflag It's one thing to use caution and inform you clients of a POSSIBLE sale and let them decide what they want to do based on that information. It is entirely something else to FALSELY tell them Afton House has been sold and they won't book there until they have a track record. You'd think ethics was a foreign word to some in here.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,

I would be interested in discussing buying your safari company.

Regards,

Rich

not interested in your current client base though

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEY EVERYBODY DON'T BOOK ANY HUNTS WITH MARK YOUNG. I JUST READ ON AR THAT HE SOLD HIS SAFARI BUSINESS AND THAT THE NEW OWNERS WOULD NOT HONOR THE PRICING AND DATES FOR HUNTS BOOKED IN 2010/2011

Whaddya think Mark? After all, it was posted on the AR forums...

Rich

NOW: how much will you pay me not to post this everywhere else on the various forums here?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Once again you've stepped on your appendage. I do not own a safari company but I'll tell Adam and his partner that your interested.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Actually, I've already purchased both firms. I am proud to announce that I am open for business as Afton Safari Trackers House.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A question. Doesn't a daughter of the AFton House owners work with Gracy Travel?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I believe she left for another agency out of Wisconsin....Custom Travel, but not sure of the name

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you may know but Louie has been very sick the last year or more. Many of the old timers know when he was the main man and greeted us at the baggage area and walked us thru the gun importation, a lot different now.
He has worked a long time and probably would like to relax, so selling his business may be an option but rest assure we who have spent time with him, it was just part of the whole African Safari made much better. Good luck to my friend Louie no matter if the Afton House is sold or not.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have dealt with Gracy Travel and have no reason to suspect that they are guilty of unethical business practices. Let's not jump the gun here.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What else would you call it? Lying?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter,

I completely agree with you, it is not a question of whether or not Gracy Travel is guilty of unethical business practice or not,(which anyone can decide for themselves) it is a question of, how would you like it if another business spread rumors about your business being sold without taking the responsibility to check the facts with the owners themselves.

Especially considering the theater in which they are expressing these falsities, if they told one person at the DSC show, I can easily extrapolate (having worked at shows like this, I know that you say the same thing over and over and over all day long) that this was told to many people.

Gatogordo- WE HAVE A WINNER! that's what I would call it...

posted Hide Post
Lets just vote with our cash, spend it where it should be spent, the outcome will prove who is full of it and who we want to do business with. Annelise and Louie,, even if you sell it, tell any future buyer I'm 'all in' just based on your reputation, if they perform I stay....I vote with my cash.

posted Hide Post
I am new to the accurate reloading website but as I was scanning through all the topics something sprung to mind regarding this whole Afton business.

At the SCI 2010 show a couple was introduced to me as the new owners of the Afton Guest House. They handed me a business card and ranted on something about tours and how excited they were having secured this property. I remember them well - the guy had a South African accent and the lady was from the US.

From the above it just seems a bit weird that someone would incur all the costs in travelling to Reno, marketing material ect if they did not buy the Afton.

So let’s just be careful before we start throwing around accusations of unethical business practices. Out of gracy's point of view she probably just acted in the best interest of her clients – lets be serious, what does a touring company know about servicing the hunting industry. Is it then not the afton that should have informed their long standing clients that the afton is in the process of being sold or would this move have decreased the value that they are asking for their running concern. Their bookings for 2010 would surely have dropped if we all knew that Louis and Annelize are not running the place anymore.

Stay at the Afton, stay at the AfricaSky all the same to me. Next time around if you have a few extra dollars to spend book yourself in at the InterContinental - 2min walk from the permit office. You will be drinking an ice cold beer at least 1-2hrs before else.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Liars suck.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Mark,

that sucker is pretty long. I may have to go to sock-garters or blousing my pants to keep it off the ground.
What I said, and your' reply are about as truthful and honest as what Gracy did. Even worse, since they DO know the truth.

But, to be serious; you can see what sort of mis-information can be spread.

Gracy is likely getting a larger "kick back" than Afton House would give them. The two issues are:

1. Is Gracy referring people away from AH for money? They call that a "kickback" or "Bribes" in other trades.

2. Did Gracy spread the rumor about AH in order to squeeze them a little?

regards,

Rich

posted Hide Post
follow the money....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Actually I think they call it "commission". You know, income, for doing their job at little or no cost to you.
Like all travel agents get from the airlines, the booking agent gets from the outfitter, the outfitter gets from the taxidermist, the taxidermist gets from the shipping agent, etc, etc, etc - it's called doing business.

I don't understand the conspiracy theory here, has anyone asked Gracy?

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jcarr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
I don't understand the conspiracy theory here, has anyone asked Gracy?

Les

Absolutely no point in doing that, they've already been convicted in an official Kangaroo court of "Net Based Opinion Law", therefore their statements on the matter will not be needed.

The main vice of capitalism is the uneven distribution of prosperity. The main vice of socialism is the even distribution of misery. -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 412 | Location: Wy | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jcarr,
They made it very clear to me the first time I called! Read the first post!

One of Us
Picture of jcarr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
Jcarr,
They made it very clear to me the first time I called! Read the first post!

I did, quite well in fact, so did you contact Gracy, and ask for the manager or owner to see if this is the position of his business or just one person's decision. My point being you spoke with an agent, and this agent was either misinformed or lied to you, I see no response from them to you or in this forum as to whether this was one individuals actions or a business policy. Having people who work for me in a sales position I am occaisionally suprised to hear some of what gets said to customers to make a sale or a quick buck on the side, typically these indivduals do not last long before being found out, but it does happen. Point being a rep from Gracy should log in here and give us their take on the situation, I will not crucify someone with a long standing reputation without listening for a response. For the record I stayed with the Afton house last May and thoroughly enjoyed it, it was booked by Gracy who I have to say did a fantastic job as well, had me in and out of the SAPS office in about 15 minutes, well ahead of the crowd. Either way, I will stay with Afton next time, and likely will use Gracy to book my next trip in May of 2011.

I would also say, the timing of the whole thing-Afton House has an offer, it falls apart they continue as normal, any chance the people at Gracy were informed it was being sold and never informed the deal fell apart? Not like this is some months apart it seems. Anyhow, someone from Gracy should be a member here and post on the matter, the volume of business this site generates would merit this IMO.

The main vice of capitalism is the uneven distribution of prosperity. The main vice of socialism is the even distribution of misery. -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 412 | Location: Wy | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dear friends at accurate reloading,

I thank you all for your loyal support over the last 15 years.
We have met and made so many wonderful friends. You feel like part of our family.

We have assisted thousands of hunters at the ORT International Airport (Johannesburg) and accommodated thousands of you every year. We also assisted many of you who missed connecting flights and experience problems with lost/misplaced firearms and luggage.

We worked with many travel agents, outfitters, booking agents and Tour companies. Never had any problems nor did anyone complain to us. .

In October 2009 Gracy Travel send a person to look at places to use for their clients and they stopped using Afton. No reason was given. For many years Gracy Travel and Afton worked very well together, you know how Afton played a role in assisting and supporting Debbie and her agents. We did the same for other travel agents. We wish Debbie well. She has been using another Guest House for more than a year.

Want to confirm that it is still business as usual at the Afton Guest House. The place was never on the market (For sale or for lease), although we had a number off offers to purchase over the years.

We are unaware that the person who made the last offer distributed business cards without our permission and want to reassure you that WE DID NOT SELL AFTON AND IT’S NOT FOR SALE.

I am also glad to tell you that my health is improving every day. Thanks to every one who prayed for me, all the guys who send letters get well cards, e-mails, books, CD’s DVD’s Salmon fish from Alaska and Nuts from Hawaii! Hector from Customs visited me twice during my illness, stayed a number of days and told me some wonderful Hunting and safari stories. He hunted almost all over the world and he still phones me every day!

Many thanks to our great friends who accommodated us in the US during our visits. In 2008 Hector and Marcy showed us the Awesome Great Grand Canyon. Something we will never forget!

We are looking forward to see you again this season and ensure you of our best attention at all times.

Louis, Annelise and the Afton Team.

Posts: 4 | Location: Johannesburg S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hello Louis and Annelise, thank you for your post and clearing this matter up once and for all. I look forward to staying with you again in May. Kind regards, Bill Campbell

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread just reiterates the reason I try my hardest to get my flights connected the whole way through so I can forego having to stay in Jo'burg at all. What a PITA.

As for Gracy, I'll pass. I used them twice and that was two times too many.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
I really enjoy taking a night in the Afton, take a hot shower, straight through is just not that fun! Afton makes life easy!