New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa Sky Guest House
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone stayed with them? Any comments?? Looking for change of scenery from Afton House, no problems, just looking for a change.
Thanks

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gracy Travel is using them now unless someone requests Afton House and the reports are very good. They have a restaurant on site and they will haul you away from the O.R. Tembo without waiting for other customers that do not have their SAPS completed correctly.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I overnighted at Africa Sky in October. Gracy travel did handle the arrangements.

It was nice, the staff was pleasant, food was good.

No problems to and from the airport.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, why is Gracy going away from Afton House???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 17 December 2009 10:15 Hide Post

Me too - luis and analise have just been so great

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
quote:
Posted 17 December 2009 10:15 Hide Post

Me too - luis and analise have just been so great

To me "great" is a vast understatement! I've stayed there, perhaps, 25 times, with and without family, and they always treat me and mine like family members. Sometimes, of course, they are pretty harried with trips to the airport, etc., but if there is a problem with luggage, they always seem to get it fixed.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stayed at AFrica Sky on 13 November this year. Comfortable, ate breakfast there the next morning and then off to Windhoek. Awoke to the sound of guinea fowl calling to each other.

Would not do it again, 'tho, but only because we always have dinner with friends who live in downtown Joburg and a place nearer there than the airport makes better sense.

Best for the New Year,
Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
My wife and I stayed their in 2007 - wonderful place!!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
How do the rates compare with Afton House?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW - How quickly things change?? Gracy has always played up and worked with the Afton House, now all of a sudden they are touting African Sky??? I have never been to African Sky, most likely never will as long as the Afton House is up and running. Not saying Sky isn't a good place, just have no reason to change just because Gracy says I should.

Maybe Gracy got a better cut from African Sky??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the AFton late October 2009 along with SBT and his son Chad. One or two other people were there also. Room was clean and the steak and breakfast were fine. Of course we did not see Louis. Analise, never really acknowledged our existence or voice one word of appreciation for us staying with them.

Analise's son in law brought some guy over for a while who was obviously trying to sell us some jewelry or cigars.

He disappeared about the time our steaks were ready.

Just my observations.

H Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As we all know things can change.

However, I have stayed with Afton 3 times. I always stay 2 nights in SA so IF there are baggage problems, it gives time for it to get sorted out..

Touch wood I have never had any problems.

So with my 2 days I have had time to see the sights, shop, and EAT.

On one trip there, the last with my wife, Afton was fully booked on the first night, so Louis took us to one of his buddies, that ran a lodge as well. I wish I could remember the name of the place as they treated us first class as well.

My experience with the service of Afton House has been perfect... In every way.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going after plains game on April 8th. I had my PH book me the first and last nights of my trip at Afton House. It will be my first visit to RSA, so it just makes sense. Too many of the fine folks here have told me that a trip to Africa is incomplete without meeting Louie and Analise and an overnight stay at AH.

Rich
DRSS member
Searcy 470NE

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for information only
Louis has been suffering from cancer the last few years and some times is bed ridden for weeks and his wife of course is attending to his needs.
Keep Louis an the family in your prayers.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
thumb

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked Gracy travel the same thing at the DSC. They said the Afton was being sold. They wanted a track history with the new owners before they send clients there.

Posts: 33 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A trip through Joberg without Afton House...simply unheard of...No one can match Louis and Analise hospitality, knowledge on how 'things' work around the airport and connections. Every time I've been through Joberg the folks at Afton House bent over backwards. Additionally Analise on the state side has been perfect and her family connections have proven priceless. I trusted my entire family to that family, it just does not get any better. Afton house has set the standard.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems reasonable that an agency as large and successful as Gracy would need more than one accommodation in Johannesburg for their thousands of travelers every year. How many can Afton hold in 10 rooms?

The day I left JNB in July 2009, Bruce commented that he was waiting for two groups of 16 people to arrive on the afternoon flights that day! Where would Gracy put them if they all had to stay over?

If I want to stay at Afton I will request it, and if I can't get in I will be happy that I have another choice.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found Safari Club SA to be a good place, very nice and quiet. Closer to airport than Afton House. Cost about the same.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if the Africa Sky Guest House is close to the sporting good store Powderkeg?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powderkeg/Africa Sky Guest House? Seven, what are you planning? Wink Just kidding of course. Just sounded a little cynical I guess with all the goings on here on AR. Surly someone can help out here?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
Does anyone know if the Africa Sky Guest House is close to the sporting good store Powderkeg?

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I recall, the Powderkeg is in the west suburbs of Joburg and the airport is on the east. It's a trek.

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what are the rates at afton house and/or africa sky

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky charged 113 U.S. for one night and a 32 dollar airport transfer fee. This is for May 2010.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We couldn't get our JFK flights into Joburg for this Oct so it's the Dulles route we're on.. Leave on Oct. 7th. With that said, we had to book a night in Joburg instead of our usual get in/get out of the city ASAP.

We are overnighting with Africa Sky on the 8th. I've never stayed with this business before (only Afton twice).. After reading and hearing alot of testimonials, I think all should be smooth sailing.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well managed comfortable place to stay.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote