THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    RUMORS about AFTON House!!!!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RUMORS about AFTON House!!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcarr:
a rep from Gracy should log in here and give us their take on the situation

popcorn

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
Scott,
I really enjoy taking a night in the Afton, take a hot shower, straight through is just not that fun! Afton makes life easy!

Agreed, those things are nice after the flight, but I have stayed at Afton twice (coincidentally both times when I booked through Gracy) and I just prefer to get to where I'm going ASAP. The stays weren't worth it for me.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Louis Bekker:
Dear friends at accurate reloading,

I thank you all for your loyal support over the last 15 years.
We have met and made so many wonderful friends. You feel like part of our family.

We have assisted thousands of hunters at the ORT International Airport (Johannesburg) and accommodated thousands of you every year. We also assisted many of you who missed connecting flights and experience problems with lost/misplaced firearms and luggage.

We worked with many travel agents, outfitters, booking agents and Tour companies. Never had any problems nor did anyone complain to us. .

In October 2009 Gracy Travel send a person to look at places to use for their clients and they stopped using Afton. No reason was given. For many years Gracy Travel and Afton worked very well together, you know how Afton played a role in assisting and supporting Debbie and her agents. We did the same for other travel agents. We wish Debbie well. She has been using another Guest House for more than a year.

Want to confirm that it is still business as usual at the Afton Guest House. The place was never on the market (For sale or for lease), although we had a number off offers to purchase over the years.

We are unaware that the person who made the last offer distributed business cards without our permission and want to reassure you that WE DID NOT SELL AFTON AND IT’S NOT FOR SALE.

I am also glad to tell you that my health is improving every day. Thanks to every one who prayed for me, all the guys who send letters get well cards, e-mails, books, CD’s DVD’s Salmon fish from Alaska and Nuts from Hawaii! Hector from Customs visited me twice during my illness, stayed a number of days and told me some wonderful Hunting and safari stories. He hunted almost all over the world and he still phones me every day!

Many thanks to our great friends who accommodated us in the US during our visits. In 2008 Hector and Marcy showed us the Awesome Great Grand Canyon. Something we will never forget!

We are looking forward to see you again this season and ensure you of our best attention at all times.

Louis, Annelise and the Afton Team.

I'll see you a week from Thursday with the case for the notebook computer and a thumbdrive!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well, i guess we know who was lying now. i have had 3 enjoyable stays at Afton and 1 screwed up airline reservation with Gracy. yep, i will vote with my money.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stoffel - new member

Could you be so kind to post the name and address on the card you received at Reno 2010 of the folks claiming to be the NEW owners of the Afton House? I am sure lots of us here would really like to know who these folks are. Someone at a major Show handing out cards for a business they don't really own, while claiming to do so might just smell of fraud or misrepresentation?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by stoffel:
I am new to the accurate reloading website but as I was scanning through all the topics something sprung to mind regarding this whole Afton business.

At the SCI 2010 show a couple was introduced to me as the new owners of the Afton Guest House. They handed me a business card and ranted on something about tours and how excited they were having secured this property. I remember them well - the guy had a South African accent and the lady was from the US.

From the above it just seems a bit weird that someone would incur all the costs in travelling to Reno, marketing material ect if they did not buy the Afton.

So let’s just be careful before we start throwing around accusations of unethical business practices. Out of gracy's point of view she probably just acted in the best interest of her clients – lets be serious, what does a touring company know about servicing the hunting industry. Is it then not the afton that should have informed their long standing clients that the afton is in the process of being sold or would this move have decreased the value that they are asking for their running concern. Their bookings for 2010 would surely have dropped if we all knew that Louis and Annelize are not running the place anymore.

Stay at the Afton, stay at the AfricaSky all the same to me. Next time around if you have a few extra dollars to spend book yourself in at the InterContinental - 2min walk from the permit office. You will be drinking an ice cold beer at least 1-2hrs before else.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scotty Boy,

it's hard to bypass Jo-Berg if you're hunting in South Africa these days.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Scotty Boy,

it's hard to bypass Jo-Berg if you're hunting in South Africa these days.

Rich

No one said anything about bypassing Joburg.. We're talking about staying there. Pay attention.

Thus far, I have flown in and then left out of Tembo 4 times within 3-4 hours of arriving and have gone onto Phalaborwa, Pietersburg, Harare, Cape Town, each time without a need for a room..

Two other times I've had to stay in the city overnight because of a late landing flight and twice I've stayed at the Afton House during those layovers.

As for this year, in 60 days I'll do the same when I leave Tembo in 3hr 20min after landing there and head onto East London the same day.. In Oct, I have 4 hrs to catch my flight on into Bulaywayo, again, the same day. Let me ask... Should I book a room for these short timeframes between the upcoming flights I'm booked on for this year??bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scottboy,
Obviously, you're flying through Europe, because thats about the only way to get into Joberg in the morning, which would allow you to catch connecting flights the same day. If taking a direct flight from the US, then the only choice you have is to pretty much spend the night! Because the flights get in at 5-530.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only flown through Euope thus far one time in any of my trips to Africa.
The flight I have in May lands there at 5PM (going through Dulles). Our flight to East London leaves out at 8:15PM and we arrive in East London at a little over 9ish..

As for the Oct trip to Zimbabwe this year, I arrive in Joburg at 6-7AM in the morning. Going through JFK. Again, arrive there and then on into Bulawayo the same day.

I've only taken the Europe route once through London.

posted Hide Post
any issues with guns through London?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scottboy, I stand corrected, I was merely refering to flights out of RSA, and from Dulles, WDC.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottjames:
any issues with guns through London?

scott

I am far from giving advise to someone as to how to take their guns through London. I've only done it once back in 2000.
What I had to do was get a courier to take my gun case from Heathrow to Gatwick. Other than that, it was fine. But again, I only went that route one time (flew that way because it was CHEAP!! I got to Joburg from Dallas round trip for 850$!)

If you are looking for someone on AR with alot of advise of flying with firearms through London, get in touch with Mark Young. I do believe he's done it quite a few times.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

If you follow the rules you'll have no problems transiting London with guns. In fact it is hassle free. just call Gracy Travel and let them set it up. Make your arrangement well in advance and it won't be necessary to travel fron Gatwick to Heathrow so no gun courier is required. Just check you guns all the way through.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote