Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo policies with SAA etc.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
I am looking at a non-stop Delta flight to Johannesburg and later next day on to Bulawaya on SSA.

SAA requires that ammo packed separately than firearms. Delta allows it.

If I check my Tuffpak directly to Bulawaya seeing that I am starting with Delta can I get away with my hard ammo case being in my TuffPak with my rifles?

Assuming that is not possible and seeing that I will need to spend the night in RSA will I need to retrieve the guns, and do the RSA paperwork as well?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't believe that you can check through all the way to Zim if you are staying overnight in South Africa and flying from there with SAA. you most likely will need to do the SAPS 520 and comply with the ammo rules, i.e. packed separately out of tuffpak AND luggage.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We just flew through Jo'berg and had to collect our luggage before getting on our flight to Windhoek. SAA had no problem with ammo in our duffle bags....just could not be in gun case. It was the same when we returned.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I check my bags Albuquerque/JFK/JoBerg/Beira with no overnight along the way and no pickup of bags along the way. My ammo is in my checked duffel, pelican case with locks, and has never been a problem while IN TRANSIT through JoBerg. Will do it this way again end of August.

It is my understanding even if you overnight in JB and as long as you take the first available flight to final destination one doesn't have to retrieve bags/guns in JB. Did it this way two years ago. Actually stopped by SAPS on arrival in JB, talked with the folks, saw that our guns were there and were assured by SAPS that they would be delivered to our flight next AM. And they were, no problem.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The general requirement is to pack ammo SEPARATELY from guns. (Also TSA rules I think). You can likely check guns all the way to Zim BUT
that will mean taking a chance as guns will be in baggage holding overnight. The alternative is to fill out the SAPS form (ahead of time), clear guns (and re- clear w/SA police the next morning) and take your guns with you to your room or guest house.I have friends who checked guns through to Beira, Moz. and left guns in transit overnight with no problem but security is an issue. They got away with it but you may not.
Too bad the Delta Atl.-Joberg flight arrives in Jbg. too late for a connecting flight the same day, requiring an overnight in Jbg...

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Ammo separate from your gun case

SAA made use check our ammo separate on our return trip home

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stopckmaker:
The general requirement is to pack ammo SEPARATELY from guns. (Also TSA rules I think). ...

I just flew Delta from SC to a LAX. I had my ammo case in my TuffPak along with rifles. TSA had no issue with it, though they did check to make sure the ammo was packed correctly in the ammo case.h

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSA rules and how they want things handled here in the USA doesn't apply to the African way of thinking, (SAA). They have their own rules, so a good idea to plan using their train of thought. It also depends on if your flight back originates in JB or are IN TRANSIT from another Country and just passing through.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Just flew to Pemba Moz this AM with SAA AIRLINK and had ammo locked within checked luggage and rifles via the firearms check-in. all ok.
I would prefer never again to book luggage direct through Jo Burg.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Well, checking with Delta, it looks like I can combine them together in the TuffPak.

Then, clear them through customs at SSA via Afton house and separate the ammo for the flight to Bulawoya.

On the return flight I won't have a choice as I will take SSA from Bulawoya and rifles and ammo will have to be checked separately. And, on the return trip, I don't care.

My concern is to make sure that rifle and ammo arrive together during the connection I have to make from LAX to Atlanta prior to the flight to JNB.

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
Well, checking with Delta, it looks like I can combine them together in the TuffPak.

Then, clear them through customs at SSA via Afton house and separate the ammo for the flight to Bulawoya.

On the return flight I won't have a choice as I will take SSA from Bulawoya and rifles and ammo will have to be checked separately. And, on the return trip, I don't care.

My concern is to make sure that rifle and ammo arrive together during the connection I have to make from LAX to Atlanta prior to the flight to JNB.

That's exactly the way to do it, just make sure they don't try and charge you for additional luggage.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I've gone through RSA. Are they still trying to restrict what you can put in a Tuffpak in the way of no clothes?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I have no idea in regards to clothes in the TuffPak.

I did a dry run. With ammo(10.3 lbs, with case 14lbs), and some clothes, two rifles, two knives I am at 64lbs, under the 70lbs weight limit per bag of Delta for me.

If I move the ammo box to RedOxx carry on that I would check-in, I am a tad under 50lbs for the SAA flight with the TuffPak, and the RedOxx bag would be way under 50lbs.

So, I should not have any issues with added weight or extra charges at least from Delta. I don't know if SAA charges extra for gun cases or for two bags being checked in (counting gun case).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Been a while since I've gone through RSA. Are they still trying to restrict what you can put in a Tuffpak in the way of no clothes?

I'm interested in this also...anybody know about United-SAA and clothes in Tuffpak?

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We had clothes in our Tuffpack with no issue on SAA.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good news.....

Had to empty my Tuffpak of boots & jackets a few years ago on British Airways...they said to comply with South African policies!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken my Tuff Pak to Africa over a dozen times now. Been on American, Delta, SAA, SA Air Link, Air Namibia, Lufthansia . My Tuff Pak always has boots, day pack, shooting sticks, pants, shirts, socks along with the rifle in a soft case and have never had a problem or have anyone question these items.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
No tufpack for me but my Pelican was choked full of clothes for my trip back in June

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cloths or sponge, what's it matter.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen or heard of a regulation anywhere stating that a "gun case" can/must only contain a gun on airline flights. Confused

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Cloths or sponge, what's it matter.

Only in California or with British Airlines was there an issue! ????? This time flying United.

Thanks for the info all!

D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I have never seen or heard of a regulation anywhere stating that a "gun case" can/must only contain a gun on airline flights. Confused

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

British Airways seems to make up rules as they go along regarding firearms. I would never fly with them with firearms. Recently, thye told some friends of mine that they didn't have room on the plane for their bows and rifles and they'd have to leave them behind.

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Does your ammo need to be in a lock box inside your luggage or just be able to lock your luggage?

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe your ammo has to be in "a locked hard sided case"...so if you are using a duffel, I would suggest your ammo box be hard sided and lockable. If you are using lockable, hard sided luggage, you should be OK...but TIA and be prepared for both!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We've received so many interpretations on this one that it's scary but we just lock the ammo in a pistol case and put it in our luggage to save any hassle.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Last year SAA made me check in the ammo case separately with my rifle case upstairs at the firearms control

Nick

We've had the same thing happen with a couple airlines...the pistol case makes it easy to pull it out and check it separately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
British Airways handled our firearms quite well from DFW-LHR-JNB and return JNB-LHR-ATL this week.

Firearms traveled in a Pelican case with Master 630D locks and ammo in an aluminum ammo box with TSA combo lock.
These two pieces were counted as one piece of luggage by BA and also by SAA when we went on to Port Elzabeth.

Only problem with BA is the £50 fee.

Steve Turner is a genius.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote