THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Opinions on luggage for a trip to Zim?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on luggage for a trip to Zim?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to Zim in August, any opinions on luggage/Duffel bag that can take a beating?

Dakota Traveler .458 WM

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have used the top of the line Cabela's duffels for years and they are still as good as new. I forget what they're called but they're a heavy green nylon mesh with heavy metal zippers and tan leather trim. Tough stuff.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13405 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have traveled to a number of countries over the last few years and so far my Kifaru duffel bag looks like new.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1075 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Cabelas luggage. Mine, after 4 trips still look new and are more than functional.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used several Filson bags for trips to Canada, Alaska, and Africa, as well as many, many trips in the lower 48, with excellent results.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
First choice, Filson. Second choice, Filson. Third choice, Filson.

Mike

Posts: 21271 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add that my carry on on most of my airplane flights has been the MLC [Maximum Legal Carryon] by Patagonia.
Filson makes similar sized bags, but I have had this Patagonia bag for ever...

This bag has backpack straps, and no wheels.
So the bag itself is light weight.

Most of the time my carryon weights 45 to 49lbs...

I put as much primary stuff, that is legal to carry on the plane...

That way if I and my carryon arrive, and all of my other baggage is lost or detained, I have as much of my necessary gear as possible...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee
I guess Iam out of this league
I have 250,000 miles on my $20 Walmart Action Packer.
13 trips to Africa, 5 to Alaska and countless others.
Never had anything stolen or any major breakage.
OH well
JUst my 2 cents
Forgot to mention travel with my Break down Blaser R-93 and R-8 in it also
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Gee
OH well
JUst my 2 cents
Larry

Walmart, Walmart.... Somebody get a rope... I have a shovel... diggin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Let me add that my carry on on mopst of my airplane flights has been the MLC [Maximum Legal Carryon] by Patagonia.
Filson makes similar sized bags, but i have had this Patagonia bag for ever...

This bag has backpack straps, and no wheels.
So the bag itself is light weight.

Most of the time my carryon weights 45 to 49lbs...

I put as much primary stuff, that is legal to carry on the plane...

That way if I and my carryon arrive, and all of my other baggage is lost or detained, I have as much of my necessary gear as possible...

i can't even imagine a 50lb carry on bag. my carry on plus my checked bag( only 1) weigh less than 60lbs. the thought of schlepping a 50 lb bag from 1 flight/terminal to another is mind boogling. i use a cheap small back pack as a carry on and a Filson duffel as a checked bag. of course i don't travel with a rifle anymore- whatever they have in camp works fine as long as it goes BANG when i pull the trigger.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Gee
OH well
JUst my 2 cents
Larry

Walmart, Walmart.... Somebody get a rope... I have a shovel... diggin

no, with a 49lb carry on, you have a tired back.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Cabela’s green ballistic cloth ones with heavy brass zippers and tan leather trim. I’ve been using them for 15 years, Africa, Alaska, Canada, South Pacific, all over the USA, plus I’ve loaned them to friends. When I get home I wash them off with a garden hose and put them away. They never needed any repairs and they still look new.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought you were my friend now its the hangman CRYBABY
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, are you sure it's called an Action Packer? On our last trip together, I thought Karl looked at you unloading your stuff, but he mentioned the term Fudge Packer. I just assumed he was talking about you luggage. :-)

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My carry-on is a small back pack, similar to what the school kids use. Meds, change of underwear, bino, camera, toilet kit, reading, documents, etc. Everything else goes in my golf club case. It's a common brand, but can't remember it at the moment. (Wait five minutes.) It's been all over the world, 10x to Africa. Easily holds a rifle and everything else I need. That way, I always have one hand free.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Based on a suggestion from a member here, I am seriously considering a TuffPak takedown case as my checked bag for clothing and such.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should mention that I fitted the case for padlocks for TSA compliance.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjbull:
Based on a suggestion from a member here, I am seriously considering a TuffPak takedown case as my checked bag for clothing and such.

+1

Additionally, why would a locked TuffPak takedown case not qualify as your "locking ammunition box".

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well remember guys last time i went over you culd still put scopes in your carry on, so I had 4 scopes, camera, flashlights, one complete set of clothes, the electrical converter, fleece jacket etc...

Like I said everything I could get in the bag, that was valuable. As long as it was with me it was safe from theft.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Buy the best quality wheeled duffel you can afford. Ridged sided luggage can be a problem if at some point you have to charter in a small plane and luggage space is at a minimum.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard of them stealing the scopes of rifles?

quote:
Well remember guys last time i went over you culd still put scopes in your carry on, so I had 4 scopes, camera, flashlights, one complete set of clothes, the electrical converter, fleece jacket etc...

Like I said everything I could get in the bag, that was valuable. As long as it was with me it was safe from theft.

Dakota Traveler .458 WM

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Cabela's Outback Series...

...or...Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series(both tough as nails)

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SAA was checking carryon bags this past October/November for both size and weight [18lbs. is the max weight/ 45 total inches size] Though you MIGHT get by with more if it does not LOOK like it's heavy! [might not though]

[wear or carry a jacket or vest to stow whatever you can fit if weight is close]

I have been using a huge Pelican 1610 as a checked bag but it is 20+ lbs empty so it does not take much to get to the 50lbs Max weighton checked bags. It does protect against baggage gorillas, but without good locks its just another suitcase.

I have also used a Tumi drop bottom duffle several trips previously and it has held up very well.

But as long as you are using the wimpy TSA locks, NOTHING is very secure. NEVER check anything of value in your bags.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Aliulis:
Has anyone heard of them stealing the scopes of rifles?

quote:

Think about it, if my rifle case gets stolen, at least I do not have to replace the scopes...

Also it keeps them out of the hands of the baggage handlers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the section directly from the TSA web site on firearms.
Read carefully.
No metion of having to use TSA locks if you are not there at the inspection area, it states they will cut the lock off anyways.
Also Ammo can be carried with the gun in a container as specified. Airlines may say different. It does not exclude other items to be packed with the gun such as clothers or other items.
It also must be locked so no portion of the case can be pryed open usually taking 2 locks but that depends on the type of container.
Travelers may only transport unloaded firearms in a locked, hard-sided container in or as checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

Failure to adhere to the following regulations will preclude passengers from traveling with firearms, ammunitions or firearm parts:

Travelers must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.
TSA must resolve all alarms of checked luggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
These regulations are strictly enforced. Violations can result in state and local criminal prosecution, as well as civil penalties of up to $2,000 per violation.

Airlines may have additional requirements for traveling with firearms and ammunition. Travelers should also contact the airline regarding firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Also, please note that other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If international travel is planned traveling internationally, check the regulations of the destination country to ensure compliance with their requirements.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input!!!!!

Dakota Traveler .458 WM

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Filson and TuffPak.

Sometime ago, bags with nylon self-repairing zippers were being forced open by using a ball point pen and then re-zipped - minus some goods - by sliding the zipper back and forth. Filson bags use heavy duty brass zippers exclusively.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another option.
Take 2 long guns, take 2 tuff paks.
Put one gun in each tuffpak, put the rest of your stuff, clothes, etc in the 2 tuff paks.

Since both tuffpaks contain a gun, both will be locked and will not be opened with out you being present.

It is the most secure way to travel with out getting something stolen out of your checked baggage that I know of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael
I see on the signature you have a Dakota traveler. I have one also in 416 Rigby what a great gun and a great gun to travel with.
Have fun on your adventure to Africa.
After your first trip you will be a seasoned pro.
Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I have used the top of the line Cabela's duffels for years and they are still as good as new. I forget what they're called but they're a heavy green nylon mesh with heavy metal zippers and tan leather trim. Tough stuff.

We have a few of these and they are great. Hopefully will be on my flight to Tanz in a few hours.

I can't see spending a bunch of bucks for a duffel when Cabelas stuff works great.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are taking a chance trying to carry on a scope. It is part of the rifle and TSA has been known to make travelers check it. I know it makes no sense...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I always wonder if a simple ballpoint pen is all that is needed to enter any luggage with a zipper. I avoid that possibility.

I take a Red Oxx carry-on that can carry enough clothes and toiletries for a couple of days, my camera(s) and other valuables like a notebook computer and my Kindle. It has a padded shoulder strap if I load it up, too. I doubt it weighs 15 pounds, maybe a bit more if I put my C-Pap machine in it, too.

I use a TuffPac for my rifle(s) with jackets, etc. for padding. Because I pack light, I really don't need a second bag, but due to the restrictions sometimes imposed re: ammo and rifles being in the same bag, I use a hard case, small piece of luggage that looks like a take-down TuffPac that has no zipper and is amenable to a TSA lock (and/or a conventional one). Inside it, I pack a cheap folded duffel, a locked box with my ammo in a metal box I got from WalMart and stuff like tee shirts, flip-flops, skull caps and other stuff to give away to staff. If I'm flying a charter, all my stuff can fit in the duffel that I packed in the smaller bag and the TuffPac (except the rifle, which is in a soft case, of course) and I can leave the TuffPac and second hard case if necessary at the charter office.

More than once, while going through SAPS on my return, I've given away the cheap duffel to a hunter that screwed up and had his ammo in is gun case, btw.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the rolling adventure bags from LL Bean. They have a lifetime warranty, so that is one less worry. I have returned 2 so far: the ridgid bottom broke one 1 and the wheels came apart on the other. They are relatively light and can be had in many colors.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry relax, we are still best buds.

I filled in the hole I was a digging... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
JudgeG: A simple ballpoint pen is all that is needed. After having been robbed of some very expensive cameras and other stuff while in the Vic Falls airport that were in a locked zippered duffle bag, that is why I only now travel with the new Samsonsite hardsided luggage and a Tuffpak. (No zippers). I also carry a PacSafe backpack on the plane with my valuables in it, and it does not leave my sight and is locked unless I need something out of it. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
like this

/Users/robertrose/Desktop/OpeningBaggage.wmv

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Users/robertrose/Desktop/OpeningBaggage.wmv

Sorry that didn't work it was a video of some one opening a bag with a pen

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always used the big Cabela's duffle in the past. Worked great -- a very tough bag. Kind of big. Was considering buying the medium size for this year.

But, bought a new Red Oxx at DSC. Main objective was to get something smaller.

Both look like good bags. Red Oxx is more expensive, but has a couple more options.

You couldn't go wrong with the Cabela's green bags though.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Used the Cabelas for my last 4 trips to Zimbabwe. Only thing I ever lost in 8 safaris was stolen from my Browning GunVault in camp on my first safari. From that time forward I always left any extra dollars or travellers checks with the outfitter in his home safe.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any well made bag will work. I carry on everything possible and check only ammo or guns or heavier items. Go as light as possible.

I also started taking bare essentials and then leaving them behind - shorts, shirts, hats, sneakers, etc. These items make up about $200 of your trip expense and you will not likely use them again.

I leave books and anything possible behind.

Posts: 10217 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote