THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Killing Time During Layovers

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killing Time During Layovers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leaving San Antonio, TX on Sep 19 at 12:05 p.m. on Delta 2132 to Atlanta, arriving 3:31 p.m. Don't leave Atlanta until 7:20 p.m. for Joberg on Delta 200, on to Harare the next morning. Returning Oct 4 from Harare landing Joberg 3:00 p.m., don't leave for Atlanta until 8:20 p.m. Three hour layover in Atlanta before heading home. Any suggestions on the best way to kill time in Atlanta and Joberg airports would be appreciated.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The three hour layover in ATL upon your return is about the minimum time to claim you bags, clear customs and homeland security, recheck your bags, and get to your gate for the final leg to SAT.

As far as your layover in JNB, you will have to check-in with Delta and go through security before you gain access to the international terminal. I think the check in counter only opens 3 hours before the flight leaves. Once you are into the international terminal, there is lots of shopping and plenty of places to grab something to eat before you get on DL201 for home.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I a Sky Club member but you can buy a day pass for around 50 bucks. If you are in B class you get into the club for free.

If you leave out of Terminal E there is a pretty good one there.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I flew into Jburg and had 4 or five hours to kill. I found that there was a lounge adjacent to the SAA first class lounge that charged $40 for an unlimited stay.

For $40 you got all you could eat and drink(snacks and a good selection of soda and beer and alcohol), free internet, telephone and TV use, free massages(tips accepted, of course) and comfortable sofas.

But the best part for me were the bathrooms and showers.

There is nothing like taking care of the three S's after 25 hours of flying.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Atlanta. Agree with what everyone said about Jo-berg. The last time I was there, some years ago, there was a great bookstore. I can kill hours in a bookstore and usually add significant weight to my luggage. Great books you would never find here.

Also, there is a lounge that overlooks the tarmac where you can watch the planes come and go. Interesting tail art -- on the planes. If I recall, you needed Rand.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
All my flights begin in Atlanta and not knowing what problems I might face with checking firearms or how long the security line might be, I generally arrive a good bit early and grab a bite to eat and have a few drinks upstairs at Houlihan's in the main terminal then take my time getting down to Concourse E and go to Duty Free if needed.

In JNB I typically kill time grabbing a bite to eat and then do a good bit of my remaining shopping in the International Concourse.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a hotel in OR Tambo. You can get a room, shower, watch TV, take a nap, read or what ever while in a secured area the entire time.

Personally, I am over the shops in the airport.

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Several years ago I flew into Jburg and had 4 or five hours to kill. I found that there was a lounge adjacent to the SAA first class lounge that charged $40 for an unlimited stay.

For $40 you got all you could eat and drink(snacks and a good selection of soda and beer and alcohol), free internet, telephone and TV use, free massages(tips accepted, of course) and comfortable sofas.

But the best part for me were the bathrooms and showers.

There is nothing like taking care of the three S's after 25 hours of flying.

The KLM club in Amsterdam has showers as well - it is my ritual to take one coming and going.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote