THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Rifle case not more than 62 inches (H-W-L)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle case not more than 62 inches (H-W-L)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
A domestic carrier is going to stick me with a $200 charge (each way) for a rifle case that exceeds 62 inches overall (length + width + depth).

Does anyone have any personal experience with a a one rifle case that comes in under these dimensions?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really?! I always thought that sporting equipment were excluded. Imagine a surfboard or skis measuring less than 62in. Which airline?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Which airline?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will: if I measured correctly my SKB single rifle case measures 61 1/2" overall.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be screwed with my Starlight case!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pelican 1750

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 26 October 2012 21:26 Hide Post
Really?! I always thought that sporting equipment were excluded. Imagine a surfboard or skis measuring less than 62in.

me2 - i'd check the airlines regs before paying that - wouldn't be the 1st time an airlines employee screw up

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
American.

HSV - DFW - Durango, CO.

I've already checked the website and called AA. Same info both places.

I also thought there was an exception for oversized sporting equipment (firearms cases) but that was not the answer that I got from the website or the service rep today.

I've checked Pelican and TuffPak cases on more than 30 trips and never paid a dime. I might show up, get lucky, and not get charged, but I think I'll get a smaller case just to play it safe.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy458:
Will: if I measured correctly my SKB single rifle case measures 61 1/2" overall.

Karl

Karl:

Got your PM. Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm making a plan on this end.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,
If you decide or want to, I live an hour away from Durango and will be more than happy to loan you a rifle. Sounds like and Elk hunt to me. Which caliber would you like to borrow?
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't accept the answers you've received from the airlines. Push the question higher. Acceptable firearms cases are mandated by federal standards in the US, not by individual airlines. They are simply wrong about the measurement issue. I suggest you also contact both SCI and NRA about this issue. They just got a firearms problem with U.S. Airways resolved in our favor.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I fly with a gun case most of the time and have never paid except when I had excess bags and then I was charged for sports equipment. I am in Dallas right now with a large SKB case and didn't pay a dime. Tomorrow I return to FLL. I mostly fly AA.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post

Gentlemen,

I believe the airlines can charge you for an oversized gun case if they want to. Also, the way I read the various baggage rules for different airlines on a recent trip, most airlines no longer give you a free pass for an oversized rifle case which is a change from just a few years ago. Additional charges can be significant and are for each leg on the flight (i.e., a separate charge coming and going). If you happen to be flying on a couple of different airlines, each airline will probably ding you.

The above case is a Pelican 1700 in which I was able to fit a rifle, a handgun, binoculars and some small tools and it all met the various airlines weight and size limits for checked baggage.

Yes, I know Blasers are expensive but start paying oversize baggage fees and the price doesn't look so bad.

By the way, I think American Airlines is the most rude and pitiful excuse there ever was for an airline. Unless I HAVE to be somewhere and HAVE to fly there, I will never fly with them.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem. I built a gun case myself in the right size.

Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2093 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
American's parent corporation HQ is in Ft Worth and I believe that AA is on Stemmons in Dallas. Maybe the DSC can bring some influence to the discussion.

I have always flown AA from BWI to DFW 3-4 times a year but have been reconsidering someone else even if it means a layover instead of a direct flight. They are NOT customer friendly.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the helpful input. Thanks very much for the generous offers. Within hours I was offered a rifle for loan as well as a compact rifle case. This the the best of AR. Thank you very much men.

I don't have time to make a federal case of this. An hour or hours on the phone with AA costs me alot of money. I'm content to purchase a smaller case, which is something I planned to do before going to CAR in January. I'd be better off sending someone to get me a case on Monday while I do what pays the bills.

Anyway, I'm off on Friday for the last rifle mule deer season. With a one way ticket and no return reservations, I'll come home when I shoot a jaws Mulie or the season ends, whichever first occurs.

Best and thanks!

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Will.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
It seems as if all the airlines are hiring idiots now as part of their down sizing programs. I was returning from DFW to FLL on AA yesterday and 3 different idiots wanted to charge me for my bags. I explained that my wife and I are flying first class and are executive platinum members and we do not get charged for bags (we only had 3 total). Then they wanted to bargain with me! "How about I just charge you $150, it's normally $200." I politely asked for them to go get someone with the skills and authority to use a computer, speak English and make decisions despite what "the computer say.." A manager arrived and immediately straghtened everything out. He did a great job managing the situation, but come on! Why should I know AA policy better than the people that work there?

I see a lot of "never use this airline" recommendations on here but the bottom line is they all have horrible customer service at times. This is a result of the spoiled, semi-educated, "me generation" being in the work force.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take the rifle apart and use a smaller case. i'vew been doing that with a americase for years. Then put it in a sports equipment bag. nobody knows you even have a rifle

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
SFRanger7GP - tu2 Unfortunately, very true.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SFRanger7GP- spot on tu2

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2093 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately airlines have begun to look towards sporting equipment for revenue. What used to be exempt are being reevaluated. AA has a size requirement now but Delta does not. Unfortunately SFRanger is right switching airlines is much like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
butchloc: that is a great idea. I flew to the UK this month for a hunt. I used an Americase for my Merkel K3 and put the case in the bottom of a drop bottom duffle bag. Worked out great and I even got praise from the security at the Birmingham airport and our own TSA for the "low profile" baggage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

I spoke to Shawn with Gracy Travel this AM. She says there is no 62" regulation on size of sporting equipment that she is aware of. She also said that American of recent has been a problem with guns in general.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
butchloc: that is a great idea. I flew to the UK this month for a hunt. I used an Americase for my Merkel K3 and put the case in the bottom of a drop bottom duffle bag. Worked out great and I even got praise from the security at the Birmingham airport and our own TSA for the "low profile" baggage.

As long as you declare it as a firearm. On Delta every firearm gets tagged with a CAGPT sticker; I have never had a problem - they deliver it to me only in person.

As for the question about surfboards, I assume the guy who asked that has never checked a surfboard. I can assure you flying with a bike is not cheap either.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I'm flying KLM for my next trip and just checked their website. Yep, you are allowed an extra checked bag at no extra charge flying from the U.S. to Africa as long as it weighs 23 KG or less and is 62" (158cm) or less in total dimensions.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will:

I live 10 miles north of Durango. I will be around town through the month. Glad to help any way I can. Rifle loan, place to stay on the way in or out of town, airport pickup. Dinner. Don't hesitate to ask. Sent you a PM with my contact info.

Tom

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta only charged me the oversize fee, for the case one way. There were no additional charges for the return trip. It was this way in 2008 and 2011 when I flew into Jburg.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I'm really trying to do due diligence on my flight and I just called KLM (which is also Delta and Air France) and they said the 62" limit did NOT apply to sporting equipment and that firearms were considered sporting equipment, so I'd raise a stink if a counter agent wants to charge you extra.

But, be sure to let them know well ahead of time that you'll be carrying such item. There's a button on the KLM website for your flight for you to report items that require special handling such as sporting equipment. When I contacted them they wanted to know the weight of my ammunition, the weight of the rifle, and the weight of the case. There's an implication there that the ammo can be carried in the rifle case, but I didn't follow up on it as I already have a hard case for the ammo and stick it in my checked luggage bag.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
postoak:

That's a good point. I flew with firearms and ammunition to the UK in October. United was pretty clear that I needed to notify them no more than 30 days out and no less than 48 hours prior. I did that and had no problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
American in 2011 got me for oversize on my "bowcase" and my buddy as well when flying to Namibia out of Dallas to Frankfurt. No matter that I had the rules in my hand, "their rules" they werre not checking the bags unless we paid 400 dollars extra total,,,,, I am "platinum" with them as well, they negotiated it down to 300.00 dollars?? like they were doing me a real favor. It got to the point where I had no choice but to pay or miss my flight and safari....Now I just expect to pay some idiotic charge and as long as they get my equipment there I gues it is just part of the expense now....

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, to exhibit true AR generosity, I'll save you the angst and just do the hunt for you :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Ziegel Enginering 562-596-9481.I recently bought a case they call the "62 inch rule case". Seems well made,
Larry

Posts: 377 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Will, to exhibit true AR generosity, I'll save you the angst and just do the hunt for you :-)

I wish I could send anyone other than me on the hunt I just returned from. It sucked.

Expecting CAR to be much better.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
I wish I could send anyone other than me on the hunt I just returned from. It sucked.

Hunt reports on unsuccessful trips sometimes are more important than the 'happy' ones, Will. Can we expect details?

Sorry for the disappointment (along with your entire college football season) and better wishes in CAR.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I just returned from an overseas trip where my two companions paid oversized and "extra fees for rifle cases" that nearly doubled their ticket price ! I used a new lightweight Negrini case inside my travel case and got by with no extra fees.

Here is the 6 1/2 # short case with the Luxus rifle I used as well as one of their longer cases

When I travel with a bolt rifle I use this one

It does't take long to save enough to pay for a number of these cases

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
lightweight Negrini case

Mr Shoemaker - How well do these thermo -plastic, "resin/fibreglass" type cases withstand airline luggage abuse in your experience?

I have two, very good aluminium full flight cases made by Case Craft Containers (or a name which sounds similar). They are very good, but they are heavy.

These cases, at less than 7lbs, compare very well (on weight) against my cases at circa 18 - 21lbs. But would they withstand more than one leg of the journey with the buggage gorillas?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk real sweet, tell the lady at the counter how gorgeous she is, blink your long eyelashes at her and hold your toe under the scale. It's worked for me -- not sure which.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote