THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    What site for booking international flights??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What site for booking international flights??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Seems that I seeing more than just few people booking their own airline tickets – so --- other than going straight to the airline website -- what website are you guys using -- I have previously used Expedia with fairly good success ---but their system does not appear to be able to handle a three legged international flight.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
Seems that I seeing more than just few people booking their own airline tickets – so --- other than going straight to the airline website -- what website are you guys using -- I have previously used Expedia with fairly good success ---but their system does not appear to be able to handle a three legged international flight.

My flight in May was 8 legs. Kansas City-Dulles-Johannesburg-Windhoek Namibia-Johannesburg-Kimberley SA-Johannesburg-Dulles-Kansas City

Kathi at Wild Travel booked it for me and I think it cost a little over $2200. Eight legs 3 different countries and everything went smoothly and I had the best cheap seat on the plane going over. To reach the seat in front of me I had to get up and walk to it. Plenty of booze and lots of movies.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
That's my girl, Kathi!

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Expedia does handle multiple destinations. You just have to click on the "Flights" tab, and then select "Multiple Destinations" from the top drop down. The main page doesn't give you that option at the start.

I have found that Expedia is good, price-wise, for domestic flights or sun/sand vacations, but so far, in every case, for travel to Africa my travel agent has gotten fares WAY cheaper than those on Expedia.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would STRONGLY advice against booking through the Internet for flights that are concerned with hunting.

One might get a cheaper fare, but, ultimately I would rather have the peace of mind of dealing with someone who knows what travelling with firearms entails nowadays.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66988 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only site that would give me a response on my route (Air Namibia to Windhoek, connecting in Frankfurt) was cheaptickets.com I ultimately did book through cheaptickets (due to idiosyncracies with Delta's contract fares), but I would gladly pay a reasonable premium for the services of someone like Kathi. She can tell you obscure but important little facts like which airlines will actually transfer your baggage to connecting airlines. She can also help you avoid potentially fatal pitfalls like some of the cheaptickets connections that are as little as 40 minutes for an international flight (ain't gonna happen!) Whenever I go again, I'll check the cheaptickets site for information and comparisions, but I'll give Kathi a try for sure.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed said it best.
I lived, I learned, I use Shawn at Gracy now.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I 100% agree with the use of a travel agent that understands hunters, and in particular the various nuances of travel with firearms.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a travel agent in Canada that really knows the ins and outs. And Gracy won't work for Canadians.

If any other Canuck knows of a good, experienced travel agent for hunters, please let me know. So far I have had to do all the heavy lifting and just let the travel agent book the flight to get their volume fares.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
The American Express travel agent at our company suggested to look at this site www.sidestep.com She said even if you don't book thru them use it to compare prices.

I took a look and it has loads of flight information in all price ranges.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can anyone give me the contact information for Kathi at Wild Travel?

It appears that I'd better get busy for my first trip to Namibia next May.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi Klimes

708-425-3552

708-425-4188 Fax

KATHI@WILDTRAVEL.NET

She's very good!

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
The only one I used was Steve Turner at Gracy Travel...He went above and beyond the call to fix a lost luggage problem. I can't recommend them enough.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Shawn at Gracy. I have used her for 5 Safaris and never a problem.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I would no more leave home for africa without a travel agent than I would without my rifles. If you need help, you will not find it on the Internet. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the vast experience of some of the guys, but the five trips I've taken have been booked via the Internet. I've never had any problems, so far (Jeeze don't let this be the jinx). Most of my flights have been straight to the country I'm hunting. My wife recently booked our flight to RSA and got it for half the price quoted by the airlines or a travel agent. It doesn't hurt to shop and as long as you have confired seating and know how to clear customs in your country of origin, then have your PH meet you at the air port when you land, you should be OK.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also used Shawn at Gracy.

Hacksawtom, I'm curious how your wife was able to book at HALF the cost quoted by the agent? You're saying it was half for exactly the same trip routing? Have you already taken that trip?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have booked a dozen or so flights via the internet including my last flight to Dar, Tanzania. The savings over what agents quoted me was substantial.

I've also missed flights, lost luggage etc and have found that when you are on the other side of the globe 7 or 8 time zones away and need help now, you are on own and have to fix your own problems. Been there, done that too many times.

Travel agents are great for folks who don't like to deal with the hassle but I enjoy all the logistics involved.

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukon,

Nope, we leave Oct. 9 returning Oct. 31. Believe it or not she was watching one of the shows on the Travel Channel and they mentioned a web site which was gaining a great reputation for great prices and service. The best price she could get to RSA was about $2300 each, coach however when she went thru this site we got the tickets for $1250 each. This is on a Delta flight routed thru Atlanta to Johannesburg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Website name?

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.bookingbuddy.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barb at International Journies is the only person I would trust. A few hundred bucks saying if it were attainable does not come close to the service Barb provides. She knows and understands hunters. I carry her cell number in case things change. And Africa is afterall Africa.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote