THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Changing airlines at JFK...with guns

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing airlines at JFK...with guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted
I've read a few posts about guns and JFK airport.....

I'm interested in the SAA flight from JFK to JNB which arrives early enough for travel same day (to Botswana in my case). I'd catch a red-eye on JetBlue, but then have to get my bags/guns checked on SAA.

Is this a pain? Anyone done this? Are you screwed if your outbound flight is cancelled?

Thanks

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Hmm. That sounds pretty easy.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ropati - Absolutely NO reason to claim your bags in JFK. Simply check them in ABQ to your final destination. Been there done that last year and will do the same this August. My final is Beira, Mocanbique with no overnights along the way. Jet Blue is no problem and were actually very helpful at the ABQ check in. Take the train from arriving terminal at JFK to departure terminal, about 15 minutes. You will need to go back through security at the departing terminal, line was kinda long, but took maybe twenty minutes. Flight was 2 hours late leaving ABQ, but still had plenty of time in JFK. PM me and we can get in touch if you have additional questions or need details.

Larry Seller
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Larry,
That makes sense. I checked my bags from Maun to Albuquerque with an airline change in JNB so I don't see why it shouldn't work the other way around. In my case, it would require flights on JetBlue, SAA, and Air Botswana. Wow, that does still require a bit of faith, though.

Anyone else do this successfully.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have Jet Blue check the bags all the way to final. Check the tags they put on them to verify all is well. After going through security at JFK, and proceed to SAA boarding gate, ask the folks at SAA to verify your bags are onboard to JoBurg. They have always been glad to do this for me in the past. In JoBurg you follow the In Transit signs, go through Security then on to your boarding gate. The plane to Beira is a small Embrarer and the bags are setting right by the plane when they drop you off to board it, so you can see your bags going on to the final leg. Don't know if this is the same for Air Botswana, but should still not be a problem I would think?

FWIW - I personally would never claim a firearm and recheck in JFK unless there was no other option!! shame

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
...Have Jet Blue check the bags all the way to final....

Larry has this changed recently?

We had previously been told that Firearms could not be transferred to SAA from JetBlue at JFK.

That they must be claimed from JetBlue and hand carried to SAA within JFK [with the assistance of PA Police, of course]. [and vice versa on the return]

If this has changed that makes travel through JFK MUCH more practical, and efficient, with the non stop flight to JNB.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les - I did it this way last year in June. Checked with JB folks in ABQ and they said still the same procedure. I will check again this week in person and see if I can get it in writing. Will advise as to what I am told.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
...Have Jet Blue check the bags all the way to final....

Larry has this changed recently?

We had previously been told that Firearms could not be transferred to SAA from JetBlue at JFK.

That they must be claimed from JetBlue and hand carried to SAA within JFK [with the assistance of PA Police, of course]. [and vice versa on the return]

If this has changed that makes travel through JFK MUCH more practical, and efficient, with the non stop flight to JNB.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked with Jet Blue customer service and they assured me my checked bags, including firearms case would be transferred to my continuing flight with SAA in JFK. Jet Blue and SAA are partners and honor luggage transfers. I will however check with ABQ Jet Blue customer service later this week to confirm my outbound from ABQ is good to go with straight through baggage checking.

ABQ Jet Blue Customer Service is 505-200-3950 ext. 2#.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2012 my wife and I took SAA out of JFK to JNB. We arrived the night before stayed at a local hotel and had our guns checked in with SAA by 8:30 9:00 the local LEOs were very pleasant to deal with...
I would do it again ...
Enjoy your trip

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
From the JetBlue website:

South African Airways
BOOK NOW
Explore the continent of Africa with South African Airways (SAA), a JetBlue codeshare partner. South Africa, Kenya, Botswana, Tanzania and other points in Africa are now within easy reach with the convenience of a single ticket and automatic bag transfer from JetBlue to SAA at New York (JFK) and Washington-Dulles (IAD).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Thanks Ropati and I will check the web site and print this out to carry along.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Ropati:
From the JetBlue website:

South African Airways
BOOK NOW
Explore the continent of Africa with South African Airways (SAA), a JetBlue codeshare partner. South Africa, Kenya, Botswana, Tanzania and other points in Africa are now within easy reach with the convenience of a single ticket and automatic bag transfer from JetBlue to SAA at New York (JFK) and Washington-Dulles (IAD).