THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Warning carring $$$ at OR TAMBO Air Port SA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning carring $$$ at OR TAMBO Air Port SA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Got pulled aside at the Airport security check yesterday when they searched me and found my stash of $$. They asked if I was carrying more than $5000 as this was not allowed. They then got me to confirm this. Fortunately this was on my return home and I was carrying just under but it may be prudent to watch this for future trips.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Were you checked or asked on arrival concerning how much cash you were bringing in?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Checked at Customs prior to reaching the departure lounge.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Checked at Customs prior to reaching the departure lounge.

How did that go? Did you declare you were bringing in more than $5000.00?

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
South Africa do not require you to fill in a customs slip on entry so the $5G maximum was news.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I had more than that with me whenI went through last month.

Customs? Jsut walked down the hall after getting my bags and went straight to SAPS/

Were they perhaps looking for a bribe to let you go on your way?

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1058 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Oz

Can I confirm that you mean you were stopped at O R Tambo in Joburg and told you cannot take more than US$5K out of the country?

If so, I think thet's BS & they were hustling you. Can you let me know (by PM if you prefer) what flight you were on, date, surname & if you have it, the names of the staff involved and I'll pass it on to PHASA for investigation.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
That has happend to me twice in Zimbabwe (Vic Falls and Harare).

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
That has happend to me twice in Zimbabwe (Vic Falls and Harare).

There is a restriction on what you take out of Zim but (as far as I know) not out of RSA.

If certain individuals are scamming hunters we need to put a stop to it asap and passing it onto PHASA will ensure that happens.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would be helpful for us to know all of the details in order to determine whether it was pure hustling or something that we all need to watch out for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim asks how much you are bring in as well as out. I have never had that asked in the RSA.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
In Zim it used to be the case that you had to declare all hard foreign currency going in and then when you left.

This was to prevent people (residents) taking hard currency out of the country.

As a visitor you could not take out more than you took in.

I do not know if that is still current.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like U.E.G. said it would be great to get the hard facts as many are still headed to Africa via JoBerg. Since SA does not require a visa or entry slip it sounds like a scam to me,and a potentionally a very expensive scam at that. Were they checking everybody??

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It is a scam and if someone would care to give me details of flight number and date, I'll be delighted to pass it onto PHASA who will put a stop to it.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Oz

Can I confirm that you mean you were stopped at O R Tambo in Joburg and told you cannot take more than US$5K out of the country?

This happened at the security screening between Baggage check in counter and the customs counters on the way into departure terminal as I was leaving for Aus. They weren't pushy and wanted nothing other than to make sure I was carrying no more than $5000 of cash.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate. If you can tell me the flight number and the date of travel, (PM if you prefer) I can pass it on to ensure the scam (and it is a scam) doesn't continue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When traveling to Zim, putting down how much currency I am carrying in gives me pause. I fear I could be marked for robbery by a corrupt customs official. What does everyone else put down? Since plastic may not work many places, and since I need cash for tips, etc, I may have $5000-$8000 on me going in, and I'm not nuts about divulging it.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Travelers Cheques are one way to help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

Pre paying everything and taking only tip and pocket money is the way to go. When a client books through us we ask for a trophy fee deposit and hold that money until we find out what the client actually shot. If the client under shot his deposit we refund the balance or bill him if he over shot.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12872 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:

A. Make sure your outfitter will accept them?

B. Go to the bank a few weeks ahead of time and order the $1000.00 Checks. You won't have to sign your name so many times when you pay the outfitter. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried to get AMEX travelers checks in large denomination last summer and was told $100 is as big as they make these days due to counterfeiting. Web sites I checked confirmed that. May have changed in the last year, but that was the case - writer's cramp signing & countersigning for a hunting trip...

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

AmEx Traveler's Cheques are not accepted by some anymore after having a client report cheques he used to pay for trophy fees report them as STOLEN when he returned home then the safari company got stiffed by the fraud. Many here know the story. AmEx Cheques are NOT to be accepted as cash! They are only as credible as the person who uses them. Hard lesson learned.

Prepaying trophy fees is the better way to go to avoid many problems for client and safari company.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I was able to order $500 travelers checks in 2009.
It still made me nervous carrying around $9,000 in checks. I will be pre paying for everything i intend on shooting and carrying the least amount of cash i think i can get away with next year.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
A year ago I took Travelers Cheques in $1K lots. PH emailed after I was home that his bank wanted my passport ID (copy) and other personal info. I called my bank, then followed their advice: "screw your bank." I was assured they were scamming both myself (RSA) and my PH friend. I assured him he would have no problems being paid. Evidently the bank personel changed their tune as soon as he spoke with a manager. Funny thing, he was only wanting to deposit them into his account, not cash them. It seems angles and scams are non stop in Africa, pays to keep advised best you can.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last time I checked it was $9000 allowable, has that changed..

I always carry a large amount of cash as I am over there for an extended time and so many places do not accept CCs these days..

Also, and although it has never happened to me I want to be able to grab a charter flight to fly me out of the country in case of problems such as a damn revolution of sorts such as has happened to some of my good friends such as the late George Hoffman who had a narrow escape, and Adelono Serras Pires who wasn't so fortunate.

Africa is a 3rd world country, particularly in the Northerm most countries, and not too long ago things got bad enough for concern in Zimbabwe.

I have no fear of being in Africa, but I like to be prepared for the worst everywhere I go.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote