THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Most Dangerious Place You Ever Visited?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Dangerious Place You Ever Visited?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Why is it that here in US, majority places with extreme violence are black and Hispanic areas?
And I don't wanna hear anything about disadvantaged poor people...that just pisses me off to no end

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Why is it that here in US, majority places with extreme violence are black and Hispanic areas?
And I don't wanna hear anything about disadvantaged poor people...that just pisses me off to no end

No punishment to fit the crime!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have ever been in a real jam.

But one time in Ivory Coast me carrying around 15K in my pocket(all travel money for a month) my sister wanted us to take the bus straight across the country!! When we arrived to the busstation in a small car the driver screamed ROLL UP YOUR WINDOWS !! After that around 100 people "attacked" the car - at one point the car was air borne/standing on the side Big Grin ! I were around 17-18 years old at the time but did not get robbed or harmed.

Last year hunting for PB we took some chances and crossed a crack in the ice ( on purpose to go on thinner ice and follow a big track). The crack when we crossed it were around 1 inch...1 hour later with bad wind around 50 meters! My guide had lost his brother and father on the ice. No problems for us but you don't get cocky when all you see is smoke from the water you are miles out on the ice and the sun is going down and add -45celcius and polar bears everywhere haha.

Pakistan, Guinea etc no problems at all only positive things to say.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by Goatwhiskers:
Probably not a great comparison, but Baton Rouge, La. is getting that way. I don't keep a tally, but seems as tho they kill at least one a night ever since Katrina. I definitly carry when I go to town. GW

One of my co-workers said the invasion of New Orleans to take the city back by special forces was worse for him than the 2nd invasion of Iraq.

In a 6 block area around the stadium they found 205 dead bodies with gunshot wounds in them.

They personally disarmed and arrested over 50 police officers that were involved in looting businesses. He said there were deadly firefights on a regular basis, until the tide shifted enough for people to start acting right.

He told me that he had no hope for humanity in a big city if there was another natural disaster like that.

Little doubt that New Orleans is a really bad place. If you go to the wrong area, you are in real trouble.

Never thought that but a friend was there a couple of years ago, robbed first night! He is a BIG guy ended up at the hospital with some bruises and a black eye and no money or phone.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Divorce court with the 1st wife in 1990,final hearing, was pretty sure she was going to vaporize everyone in the room but mainly me!! Everyone escaped but the feeling never really left me. Hunting in BC and had a mountain grizzly try to get in the lap of me and the guide but that wasn't near as frightening. I still get cold chills from the divorce hearing memories.

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by Goatwhiskers:
Probably not a great comparison, but Baton Rouge, La. is getting that way. I don't keep a tally, but seems as tho they kill at least one a night ever since Katrina. I definitly carry when I go to town. GW

One of my co-workers said the invasion of New Orleans to take the city back by special forces was worse for him than the 2nd invasion of Iraq.

In a 6 block area around the stadium they found 205 dead bodies with gunshot wounds in them.

They personally disarmed and arrested over 50 police officers that were involved in looting businesses. He said there were deadly firefights on a regular basis, until the tide shifted enough for people to start acting right.

He told me that he had no hope for humanity in a big city if there was another natural disaster like that.

Little doubt that New Orleans is a really bad place. If you go to the wrong area, you are in real trouble.

Never thought that but a friend was there a couple of years ago, robbed first night! He is a BIG guy ended up at the hospital with some bruises and a black eye and no money or phone.

I have only been once and for about 3 hours. We got to Burbon Street at about 10 PM, our friend went to find a bathroom and came back with his throat cut from ear to ear. Somehow they missed his wind pipe and jugular.

We spent the next 2.5 hours at the hospital while he got stiched up, and went back to Memphis where we were stationed that night. Never been back, not interested in it.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I was going to stop in New Orleans and Baton Rouge on my way to the Ducks Unlimited National Convention in San Antonio. My family is going to be with me and we will not stopping in New Orleans after reading this. It is a shame, I have always wanted to visit that city.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Combat zones aside, I would have to say Detroit, MI, although as a young man I was robbed at knife point by two men in Seattle, WA, and there was the time I witnessed two men robbing another man in the tenderloin district of San Francisco. They walked past me and gave me a hard look, but I guess I didn't look like a victim so they kept walking.

And then there was the time as a teenager, I was shot at by a man who was upset with one of my friends, and the other two times while growing up, that I've had people pull guns on me because they where drunk and PO'd.

I guess it is hard to say for me, because I've had a varied and eventful life.

Maybe that's why I love hunting cape buffalo. With them you always know the score.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wrong part of NO is indeed a bad place. Even relatively good parts can be.

Personally, I have seen someone shot there. A couple of drunk guys tried to rob me in a restaurant bathroom. Both of these were when I was in college. More recently, my youngest stepdaughter went with a group for some sorority function. They were in a relatively nice restaurant/bar. As she exited a stall, she was robbed by two black males at knife point. The reaction of security told me that they were involved. Her drivers license was found in Baton Rogue the next week.

I have heard stories from bar owners there that are really scary.

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caracas

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
North Las Vegas. Big Grin considerate man on the bus suggested we might be out of our depth, but no problem, other than than the guy sizing up my wife's purse for snatching.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arda, Save Conservancy in 1985. Sitting on a concrete platform at the skinning shed pig hunting. It was so dark you couldn't see your hand six inches from your face. An old female lioness came up and was crunching bones 25 yards away...in the dark. PH JIm Mackie said be quiet and wait for the pigs...

Then we chased a wounded pig into the "river" reeds till we found a hippo. Eeker We both had shotguns with buckshot. We hauled butt out of there.

Pig hunting is more dangerous than one would think.... Big Grin

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a meeting in Natal, Brazil with a local contractor that brought a bodyguard with a camera taking photoes of me...

Brazil is no good.. you do not feel safe there. Your life is worth 4.000 reais if you meet the right People... approx USD 1.500,-

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A Uruguay friend of mine says he does not know one person who has not been robbed in that country Confused

It is always interesting to see the experiences of others. I was hunting with a chap from New Zealand who told me that he had never met a person from New Zealand that he liked ..

I have been to Uruguay half of a dozen times hunting and that is the first time that I have ever heard about that kind of theft ... actually the topic has never ever come up. And when I had a rather significant birthday some years ago, I could have celebrated anywhere in the world .. I took some amigos and went to be with my great friends in Uruguay ....

The nicest of people ..

Come to think of it ... when I did the unguided buffalo hunt in Cameroon I was enchanted with how nice everyone that we met was ... however we damn near got off the Swiss Air jet in the middle of the night at the wrong city. The map showed us going past Douala so we assumed that we had landed in Yaoundé ..

A couple of dumb white guys with guns ... midnight ... Douala ... that might have ended badly .. Luckily I like to talk to people and I chatted up this dude who was getting off the airplane and when he told me that he was going to a ship I asked him how could he be getting on a ship at Yaoundé?

Dumb white guy ... Confused

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOLA is a great city, and I have been seeing live music there for 15 years. That said, like any big city it definitely has sections that are sketchy. These days I never go to Bourbon Street and hang out on Frenchmen. Great food and music. Also, going to Tipitina's is a must for any fan of music in general.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been to a lot of places around the world and there is a variety of shocking differences you wouldn't expect.

Most dangerous Place: Uptown Neighborhood of Chicago, circa 1993.

Honorable Mention: Jo'Burg

Least dangerous place: UAE

Honorable mention: Havana, Cuba

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with jaegerfrank that Caracas is not a place you want to wander around much - day or night!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Downtown Albuquerque after dark in the summer will make you open your eyes. Good resturants on Central, but some bad actors too.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chicago,LA,Detroit,Memphis,DC,Jamica,PuertoRico,El Paso at certain times have made me nervous.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I Corps, Republic of Vietnam, 1966-67. Hands down. salute

Remember it well. And there are times I would like not to remember it.

Semper Fi

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New York in 1982 and New Orleans in 1994 (where a cop pulled his .357 mag. at me...)

7 times in Africa, west African coutries, Namibia, Botswana...never a problem..

The United States are scary.. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
North Philly as a dumbass 18 year old taxi driver.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:
Caracas

This is one I have to agree with wholeheartedly!

Albania in the late '90s was another place as was Sarajevo in 1995.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Etosha National Park in August 2012. My wife and I were playing tourist for four days in Etosha and were driving in a rental Toyota Landcruiser between Halal and Okaukuejo. A herd of about 25 elephants blocked the road in front of us, so I just stopped the car and took a bunch of pictures from about 50 yards away. We never approached the herd, just stopped while they blocked the road. A big old bull charged us at full speed, so I threw the Toyota into Reverse and floored it. Despite going as fast as the car would go, the bull was gaining on us fast. Finally, after chasing us 100 yards or so, he gave up and returned to the herd. They still blocked the road, but after about 10 minutes a semi with several local natives in it came by us, and just blew their horn and spooked the herd back into the mopane brush. Scared the crap out of both of us!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morning guys

Scariest thing is arriving home one oclock at night from the pub with friends.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
I was 20 in 1956 and attending the University of Arizona when I took a summer job at a railroad siding called Hyder, about 20 miles across the desert from Gila Bend and Dateland (this area was called the "fan belt capital of the world" back then) in Arizona. A farmer had cultivated the Gila River bottom land and his first crop was 1,000 acres of cantelope. My job was to operate a machine that made all the wooden crates needed to ship them.

The "town" consisted of one small building owned by the Southern Pacific railroad. There were no permanent residents, even the farmer lived elsewhere. This was long before OSHA, so there also were no Porta Potties or showers.

About 300 migrant workers were needed to pick, pack and load the melons into refrigerated railroad cars, and they slept (and relieved themselves) everywhere imaginable -- in the reefer cars, on hastily built conveyor belts, in their cars, under the "town's" three or four tamarisk trees, wherever. I was fortunate that I had a small camp trailer.

As a "college kid," I was a novelty. If I had to guess, a lot more than half of the men around me had spent hard time in prison.

I worked for a box company and my assistant and I were its only employees at the site. I was paid $0.015 per crate, and could make 300 crates an hour. It was a lot of money at a time when the minimum wage was $1.00 hour.

If I failed to keep up with the packers another crew would be sent in, and that meant less money for me. To keep up I worked from 4 AM to midnight, stopping only to eat, seven days a week for six weeks. The long hours helped get me through the school year.

Did I mention that it reached 120 degrees every day and cooled down to about 100 at midnight? Or that the migrants were paid in cash at sundown every Saturday? The money arrived in one car, followed by three or four station wagons with prostitutes who set up shop next to the railroad tracks. A couple of guys would also arrive with trucks of groceries, beer, wine and cheap whiskey for sale at outrageous prices.

There were at least four or five crap games -- accompanied by fighting with fists and knives -- every evening, but especially on Saturday nights.

On Sunday mornings, deputies and an ambulance or a hearse would arrive to take away the injured and dead. One guy died in front of my trailer, and I had to wait until the season ended before I could wash his blood off it in Yuma.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Central African Republic June 19, 2016. Shot at by 9 LRA cult soldiers with AK-47s. Miraculously, not a single bullet hit me. Then detained at a village by doznes of angry young men with machetes. Guess it wasn't my time. You can read about it in The Hunting Report. Don't go there.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The San Antonio neighborhood I grew up in. We were the only house on our entire block that was never broken into. Couldn't leave cars on street at night.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott CWO:
Central African Republic June 19, 2016. Shot at by 9 LRA cult soldiers with AK-47s. Miraculously, not a single bullet hit me. Then detained at a village by doznes of angry young men with machetes. Guess it wasn't my time. You can read about it in The Hunting Report. Don't go there.

You should post a hunt report on that one, crazy deal and glad your ok

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was quite the story in the Hunting Report.

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, for you it had to be going to the shooting range with Mikey :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:
Caracas

Absolutely, the most dangerous city I've ever been in, and that includes all of the fifth ward of NO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably not Caracus, but I have some "Interesting times" in both Beitbridge, Zim and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some places in Dar were pretty scary, but the scariest place in the world was a coffee shop in Houston when my wife was in town.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...Laos, 1969

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bogota Columbia on a White House press charter with George.W.Bush and company. The commies were doing their best to snuff a gringo that day. I was one of the gringos. Fortunately we had some serious fire power on our side.

I had a grizz try to share a tent with me one night while moose hunting in the Aggieshakshak river basin in the Western Arctic of Alaska.

Flying a small bush plane in Northern Ak, in frog spit weather with a drunken Eskimo going crazy right behind me was right up there.

Polar sea ice in the spring has its moments.

I've been to some dark and ugly places on state department business but I've been lucky enough to not be there on the days when they were flinging heavy munitions at each other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took a wrong turn near the Superdome in New Orleans, scary area around there

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsibindi:
...Laos, 1969
Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marriage license office!

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Since my homestate of Louisiana tops the USA in murders per capita I am going to include Shreveport in the mix.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote