Find
Notify
Tools

Vic Falls Suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
For those of you that frequent the falls, what are the must see and must do attractions for a couple spending two nights there on the tail end of a short hunt?

Where are the best places to stay, eat, etc?

Thanks,

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

I think you'd be doing yourself an injustice if you did not stay at the Victoria Falls Hotel. It reeks of "Old Africa". I was there in '12 and the whole hotel seemed to have been refreshed. I think you'd love it.

You might also consider going to Gorges Lodge for dinner or drinks. The view is amazing of the gorge.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
take a swim at the devils pool for some good pics. A couple of GT´s in the Vic falls hotel. I did not find any real good places to eat. Go for some fishing or just a tour on the Zambezi with Russ crew.

Skip the Boma restaurant and make a heli trip

http://www.falconsafaris.com/Activities/default.php

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A night out at the Boma Restaurant is a must. Do a search on YouTube for the Boma Vic Falls to see some what goes on there.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've sent you a p.m., also, but:

I've spent time at the falls about 15 times, or so. I always enjoy a lunch at the Victoria Falls Hotel on the veranda when, hopefully they have butternut squash soup... but everything else is wonderful.

Dinner at the Boma is a bit touristy, but quite fun. The Ilala Lodge has great food and is nice, close to town and safe.

Gorges Lodge has some of the most breathtaking views from the rooms of anywhere in the world. It is very relaxing and they give a free ride (return) each day. It's about 30 minutes there, but worth it, just to stay at so beautiful a place.

River rafting is really great, but be prepared to climb down into the gorge and back up again. It's quite physically taxing.

The helicopter ride is a thing not to miss. You really see the magnificence of the falls, that way.

I had much more fun riding an elephant than I thought I would. We even saw bushbuck, waterbuck and kudu while we were cruising about on the jumbos.

I've never played golf, but a friend with me did and said it was a hoot to lose a ball to a baboon.

Booze cruise is fun, particularly if you go on a first class boat and the guide is a good raconteur.

Walk with the lions is .... well, strange!... to be a foot from a 300 lb lion. Eeker Surreal, for sure! And the lions eat someone every other year or so, it seems.

I think this year, I'll take Sandy on a day long canoe trip, do the walking falls tour, have one dinner at Ilala Lodge, ride the helicopter, spend the first evening on the booze cruise and then get to the second seating at the Boma, half-day river raft, get Sandy a guide for the shopping and croc farm and chill some at Gorges. I don't think I'll bungee or zip-line ever again. Big Grin

Funny you asked today because, just this morning, I was writing back and forth with Candy Pieters about the things Sandy might like to do.

We're going to do the Vic Falls stuff and then spend four nights at Nehimba Lodge in Hwange in late August.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

I wouldn't mind a copy of the PM. Joyce and I will be doing Vic Falls in April 2015 so any tips are helpful.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking the wife along for her 1st Africa trip in July, and we are planning to do something similar to Will. I've heard the Chobe day trip is excellent, Devil's Pool is worth seeing, but the water is too high to swim in July-August. There is an old steam train that does an evening dinner trip that was also highly recommended, but it only runs on Wednesdays & Saturdays. Does anyone have pros-cons of The Royal Livingstone Hotel, we were considering it for nice accommodations & proximity to the falls?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wil,
We stayed at Gorges lodge two years ago...simply amazing!!!
I agree with lunch at the hotel, but I'm not sure I would stay there...
One of the highlights we had was a dinner/sunset cruise above the falls..just you two, a waiter, and the captain..we watched Ele's walking under water, hippos at the boat, along with a great dinner, and a very romantic evening!!!
On that trip, before hunting with Thierry, we had Mark Young set it up. He in turn, had Terry Ander's wife set up everything for us. It was done perfectly, with a very small admin fee, and was a GREAT time!!
If you can, they to get over to Hwange for a day...WOW!!

Dino

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
The river booze cruise is a must. I think they have the hippos and elephants trained.

Have a great time. beer

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
MUSTS:
Old Victoria Falls hotel (Stay two nights and maybe dine one evening there)
Boma Restaurant (dine one evening-dress up in the African garb, eat the numerous African meats and the obligatory mopane worm, dance, have fun)
Helicopter ride of the falls (take plenty of pics)
Walking tour of the falls (up close and personal with the falls) (again pics galore)

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Will, email Candy ( admin@nehimba.com ) we offer assistance with all bookings and activities in Victoria falls and can pretty much get best available prices on the ground.

Mart

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesnt seem that there is anything happening there.I would rather be in the bush or at camp or at a excursion like Mana pools,Kariba or back in Harare.I would love to go to Mana Pools someday.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We atayed at the Royal Livingstone on the Zambia side for a couple days before our hunt in the Luangwa Valley.

I personally liked these accmmodations better !

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 442 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Concur on the helicopter ride, booze cruise, trail to the Falls. Recommend you don't use the Zambezi Safari & Travel Company to book anything though. They might take your money and leave you on your own like they did us.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have been to the falls several times. I really enjoyed the helicopter ride and the ultralightes. Walking the falls from the Zambia side is a must see IMO.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great to see this info. I hope to be staying at Gorges Lodge in Sept.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
This is all great stuff.

What are the logistics to get from Livingston, Zambia airport to Vic Falls for the touristy stuff mentioned above?

Thanks,

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Will:

I know nothing about getting from Livingstone to the town of Vic Falls, sorry, but...

Anyone done the train/tram and bridge tour?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will- Try the zip-line over the falls gorge! Has a bit of a pucker factor.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, the wife and I are doing Vic Falls after a hunt with Andrew Baldry in August. Steve Turner took care of the transfers from Livingstone Airport to the Royal Livingstone Hotel. Booked a day trip to Chobe Nationsl Park, Devil's Pool, and a dinner at the boma. That, along with time at both sides of the falls will be an enjoyable few days after the safari.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My schedule changed by a few days & I lost my Gorges booking.

But Candy has been great. I will now stay at the Safari Club. I will do the helicopter ride, river cruise & Bomma dinner.

It is a pity that I could not accept a kind AR member's invitation to meet as our dates did not match.

44 days to go!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if you are feeling adventurous, try for the Zambezi Triple- bungi jump, ultralite flight( motorized hang glider) and tandem parachute jump, all in the same day.. logistics are a bit tricky. i ran out of time and only made the jump and the hang glider flight. if you complete all 3, you get a nice certificate! dinner at the Boma Resturant is a lot of fun, too

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13148 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Lozano:
The river booze cruise is a must. I think they have the hippos and elephants trained.

Have a great time. beer

+1 tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
Depending on when you will be there: Do the rafting! But be prepared for some turn-overs...
Probably one of the best rafting trips in the world.

Devils pool is nice.

Sunset cruise at the river is also good.

Rgds,
Andreas

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andy_7x64:
Depending on when you will be there: Do the rafting! But be prepared for some turn-overs...
Probably one of the best rafting trips in the world.

Devils pool is nice.

Sunset cruise at the river is also good.

Rgds,
Andreas

Would not raft after September.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote