Find
Notify
Tools

Duty Free cigars at JNB?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm flying into JNB on the way to Bulawayo in June and want to know if there is a good selection of Cuban cigars available at the duty free shop there?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12556 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
They have Cubans in two or three shops there, but it's not a large selection IIRC.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring your own Dominicans. That is what I do.

IMHO, Cubans are overrated and too expensive.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JUST SO YOU KNOW, IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN, AND BUY A CUBAN CIGAR ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF US LAW...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
JUST SO YOU KNOW, IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN, AND BUY A CUBAN CIGAR ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET, YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF US LAW...

True. But often the evidence is destroyed in a series of small fires.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Bring your own Dominicans. That is what I do.

IMHO, Cubans are overrated and too expensive.

But you will miss the sweet flavor of child labor. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7596 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have a pretty good selection at the duty free. Big walk in humidor. They can be spendy, but not near what contraband smokes cost in the states. Are Cubans better? Not necessarily. Is Bordeaux better than Napa? Just differant.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

True. But often the evidence is destroyed in a series of small fires.

Damn, thats funny! rotflmo

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I bought five Cubans in Shanghai in 2007, and it cost me 19 yuan, which is less than $3.00 US. It took me two days to smoke them, they lasted so long.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, you mean I was breaking the law when I brought two dozen home last April?

I am mortified...

Rich

stuck them in the bottom of my aluminum gun case and wrapped each DR in about three of those lovely wool binkies SAA gave us. Went right thru, along side the Amarula.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
I bought five Cubans in Shanghai in 2007, and it cost me 19 yuan, which is less than $3.00 US. It took me two days to smoke them, they lasted so long.

I hate to say this, but if you got Cubans for less than a dollar each they were almost assuredly counterfeit.

Good to see that the Chinese don't just copy American technology, but steal from fellow communists.

Cuban cigars are expensive. They may be communists, but they sure as hell understand capitolism!

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
OK all you Aficionados...dumb question from the ignorant.
I like a good cigar a few times a year, but I am not a regular. I can definitely see it adding to the fire experience in the evening on safari.

Do you all take a traveling humidor with you when you go? If so, any suggestions on a decent priced traveller?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
OK all you Aficionados...dumb question from the ignorant.
I like a good cigar a few times a year, but I am not a regular. I can definitely see it adding to the fire experience in the evening on safari.

Do you all take a traveling humidor with you when you go? If so, any suggestions on a decent priced traveller?

It is unnecessary to take a humidor. Africa is, however quite dry and over a long safari, the cigars will dry out. I place a box of cigars in the plastic bag it came in and place wet tissue every day,

Not fancy, but it's cheap and it works.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a custom "Tupi-dor". The Tupperware lunch meat container (6"Wx10"Lx3"H model with a small bit of towel moistened daily works great.

A good cigar, with some adult beverages at the end of a day, having had a long hot shower and put on a T-shirt and shorts; is the perfect way to relive the days events whilst dinner is being grilled on an open fire. Absolutely...

Rich

I can see me there right now.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tim, no need for a traveling humidor unless you are going on a safari for an extended period. If you are on a 14 day hunt you open the box the first evening in camp and it will be fine. Just keep the box in a cool place.

Mike

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
They have a pretty good selection at the duty free. Big walk in humidor. They can be spendy, but not near what contraband smokes cost in the states. Are Cubans better? Not necessarily. Is Bordeaux better than Napa? Just differant.

We have just about every possible Cuban cigar for sale at the Cigar Clubs in Osaka and Tokyo. Americans seem to be big customers and no, I have not see any G-men prowling around (except as customers). <g>

Personally, I favor Monte Cristo No. 2s. Others are great but these seem just right.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote