THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Larry Summers want the $100 bill eliminated

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larry Summers want the $100 bill eliminated
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In 1969 the US stopped printing bill over $100 in an effort to stop the undetected transfer of large amounts of cash.

Now Larry Summers proposes we eliminate the $100 bill for the same reason. A million in $100's will fit in a brief case, but a million in 20s weighs over 100 lbs.

If this happens, it will obviously make taking large amounts of cash to Africa difficult.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Big brother has a big nose

Posts: 3456 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Then a million in $50 will fill two briefcases that weight 20 pounds each. Hardly much to bother about either way.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big brother has a big nose

Amen!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How hard would it be to open a bank account in Dar, or whatever location your outfitter chooses to bank. Transfer money ahead of time and then just move the money from one account to another in the same bank? I've been thinking about doing that lately.

There are reasons to carry cash even in substantial amounts to tip the staff, for example. But, I've never liked carrying it. And, while you can carry a lot of it in 100's, when you have to break down the tips among a couple of dozen people, smaller denominations are going to be necessary as well, increasing your volume.

Posts: 10061 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

How hard would it be to open a bank account in Dar, or whatever location your outfitter chooses to bank. Transfer money ahead of time and then just move the money from one account to another in the same bank? I've been thinking about doing that lately.

I would STRONGLY suggest you run this idea by your accountant BEFORE you do it. You might find that the tax consequences and flagging of your returns might make it a very bad idea.

However, if the outfitter would use a major US/international bank such as Citibank, then you can easily transfer money from your US Citi account to his overseas, I'm told (but haven't tried it, don't have a Citi account but do have several Citi credit cards).

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Foreign bank accounts and some new laws make a foreign account something one had really better understand. Large fines and criminal conduct are not hard to find to the unsuspecting. Cost of compliance can be substantial.

Posts: 12003 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act aka FATCA.

Posts: 12003 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote