THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Ship rather than fly to Africa
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ship rather than fly to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great adventure, but I worked in the Gulf of Mexico one summer & feel about the same as Todd. I just got tired of looking at all that water day in & day out.
The view just seemed to never change,
Now an inland cruise in Alaska, that's a whole different ballgame. Simply amazing.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I guess I spent to many years in the Navy, the thought of taking a ship to Africa doesn't thrill me. I've been bored for to many days underway.

Hey Shipmate, if you were bored, we must have not been working you hard enough! Big Grin I know what you mean but I had the opposite experience. I loved every day at sea. Almost nothing better than being out on the bridge wings on the mid watch in the middle of the Pacific with endless big rollers and ten gazillion stars. Even the storms were fun.

I had a widowed auntie that spent the last 20 odd years of her life tramping around the world on freighters. She loved it. Her favorite story was of an American ship where by Union rules, the cook had to make two pies daily. Unfortunately, the cook could not bake to save his life. So, every evening the cook would come into the mess to deliver his pies, the captain would stand up and ceremoniously open the porthole, and the cook, with a flourish, would toss them straight out into the sea to the applause of all at the table!

My wife would like to take a cruise liner sometime but I am afraid the old Chief in me would come out!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Here you go - https://www.freightercruises.com/

Read there and enjoy. You might wind up wanting to skip the hunt and just go freighter cruising around the world.

Typically on these you'll dine with the captain and be one of about 6-8 total passengers. Take plenty of reading material and try to not get a room with a view of a stack of containers.

But, the safari thing will not work with this. For starters bringing a gun on board would be prohibited. Ships rules are not going to allow it. And getting it off would be tougher. Keep in mind, it won't be docking like at an internat'l airport where there are customs people who are used to firearms law and paperwork. You'd be asking I think for a really difficult situation once you arrived. Meaning, where do you go with your double rifle once you leave the gangplank? Can you carry it around town over your shoulder? I think not. And what happens with the first cop you meet?

And finding a boat that went to wherever when you want and back would be impossible.

I'm afraid we're just a little past the good old days of tramp steamers to exotic lands with free and easy customs...

..btw, here's a webpage where you can see in real time all the positions of freighters in all oceans - http://sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml - you can zoom in on it. They also have one for cruise ship positions worldwide. Enjoy.

Shack,

you pointed when we moved to Canada we were thinking about a cruise on a container ship, one way was really not expensive but guns was a no no ...so they didnt change that ,,, i ve met some people that have done some cruises from Marseille to Africa in the 30s where guns were allowed it was part of the safari on his own ...

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote