THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Ship rather than fly to Africa
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ship rather than fly to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
I'm looking for info for a leisurely trip to Africa. I'd like to take a ship to Cape Town or Dar, and make my way to the hunting destination via road or rail.
Has anyone done this or can make suggestions?
Thanks,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out this site, Cal, if you haven't already. It has a list of freighter travel agents.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Freighter_travel

Regards,
Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Cal - another line on my bucket list.

This seems really cool.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Report....Cal Pappas seen lost in the North Atlantic Ocean. Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3396 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Now that's old school!

Awesome idea. Most of us do hunts in less time, from door to door, than it took for Roosevelt to even get there.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never taken a hunting trip like you are proposing but have done some cruising. Carrying firearms may be an issue, you will have to check.

Vacations to Go has good cruises and some heavily discounted cruises that start booking at 90 days out. No around the world stops are showing now but periodically they will have stops in Cape Town. I can't say I have ever seen Dar on their itinerary.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/e...k.cfm?nr=cus_V7o_PCL

If you do a hunting trip like this please post a report. I too would like to learn more.

All the best.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
And on your way to the hunting destination you are welcome to come say "Hello" in the Eastern Cape

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal - I have heard of the "Slow Boat to China" Wink , but never the slow one to Cape Town. Good luck in your search and keep us posted on results as this sounds like a really cool adventure.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Cal, keep me in the loop on what you find out. I would love to do this one day too. I think I would take the ship route over trying to reminisce by flying on a Connie to Africa (although the sound those big radial engines make on a Connie is truly a lullaby). Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21214 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal - This sounds really cool. Please keep us posted on your plans if you wind up making this trip. This is the kind of trip a lot of us can only dream about. Also, if you go, you must promise to take photos of everything, including the boat ride to Capetown, and your land excursion, via road or rail, to your hunting area, and then post it in the hunt reports.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the dreams I will likely never realize. I am imagining a steamer trunk full of carefully selected books. I think the only problem is that the ship would be too fast.

Go for it!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I guess I spent to many years in the Navy, the thought of taking a ship to Africa doesn't thrill me. I've been bored for to many days underway.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12541 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal

I have read many old stories, and seen several old movies that revolved around Ship Travel.

While I would never take a carnival type cruise, I too have thought it would be cool to sail to Africa, and then do a Safari.

I think it would be most fun of it was on a good Freighter, with all the passangers buddies going to do a Safari.

Just think we could carry a LOT more than 11 lbs of ammo, and some floating targets, and do some shooting along the way... Big Grin

I am reminded of a Bogart movie... tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Cal

I have read many old stories, and seen several old movies that revolved around Ship Travel.

While I would never take a carnival type cruise, I too have thought it would be cool to sail to Africa, and then do a Safari.

I think it would be most fun of it was on a good Freighter, with all the passangers buddies going to do a Safari.

Just think we could carry a LOT more than 11 lbs of ammo, and some floating targets, and do some shooting along the way... Big Grin

Sounds like you just need to lease a yacht with the range...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9571 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cal

Pirates might be in for a surprise if you sail past Somalia.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CAL this sounds great,but you would have to have lots of time..at my age I do not think I have that much to spare... clap

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at that option several times and haven't been able to put it together. if you do find something please post for the rest of us.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to do it but the cost and time involved make it impractical for me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I can just imagine it!

Cal is on a slow boat to Africa, with a towed target behind the boat, and him trying to shoot it with his 600 NE!

Then Mark Sullivan appears, and starts to pull the target in, saying "Cal, we have to let the target decide how it wants to DIE!" rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Cal look into this option. Fly to Europe, the continent not the UK. From there search for cruises to Africa. it has been my experience that there are far more options available to a traveler when you originate from Europe.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good luck Cal! Now, there's always the option of crewing on a tanker. . . . Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Train to New York, Cunard to London, Holland America from London to Cape Town.

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just noticed that Oceania has a cruise from Miami to Cape Town as well. Not even that expensive.. And plenty of cruise options to get yourself to Miami from the West coast.

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Thanks for your leads and replies. I will look into them as a long and easy trip I have wanted to do rather than the fast paced flying. If anything develops I will post it here.

Saeed: Thanks for your shot.

Cheers, all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Take your 8 Bore Harpoon gun...Moby Dick might still be out there. Arghhh! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:
Cal

Pirates might be in for a surprise if you sail past Somalia.

Yes if I was rich I would buy a new high tech "freighter", equip it well, invite some buddies, and do a Cruise off the Horn of Africa...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick O'Shay:
Train to New York, Cunard to London, Holland America from London to Cape Town.

He may want to fly on a Yankee Clipper as well. Smiler

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I guess I spent to many years in the Navy, the thought of taking a ship to Africa doesn't thrill me. I've been bored for to many days underway.

No kidding. Although it sounds interesting on the surface, unless you've experienced it first hand, it's hard to get a grasp on how time can literally stand still on a boat in the middle of the ocean (and not in a good way) with nothing but a horizon of water in all directions, day in, day out for extended periods of time. My last cruise was aboard the USS Roosevelt with 180 days at sea, and a single port of call for 3 days, in of all places ... Dubai!

My wife finally conned me into taking the family on a 6 day cruise a few years back when my boys were little. She was excited to go topside and watch the sunset each evening, asking "isn't it beautiful". My response, "No ... it's water. Was water yesterday and will be water tomorrow. Always looks the same". You've probably figured out by now I wasn't a "lifer" for the Navy! Cool

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
The problem is, I think, that most cruises (aside from Transatlantics) tend to be "round trip" propositions and, to make matters worse, it's not like they run a regular schedule every few weeks to accommodate the average safari length. Most "Africa" trips I have seen on cruise lines tend to be of the 20-30 day variety as well which means....big $$$$. Truthfully, the best cruise deal I see these days is in fact the Transatlantic. Even the QMII is only about $1000 each way which, considering it includes lodging and food, and entertainment, strikes me as a real bargain. In that case, the best "retro adventure" in terms of transport, might be to take a train from wherever you are to NYC, QMII across the atlantic, train to Scotland, and then shoot the hell out of the local red stag and roe deer!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Back then, they didn't have any choice, but had time and money.
That was reality then.
I cannot for the life of me justify boat for air travel. Not for all the money in the world.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have thought about this before . But I couldn't see how to to directly put it together . The route to London and then to Cape Town sounds like the way .

I did try to do something similar like cruise to Mexico and then fly back home . I inquired with a couple of cruse lines . They never even responded back.

Maybe you will post what you find as I too would be interested in what you might put together.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I can just imagine it!

Cal is on a slow boat to Africa, with a towed target behind the boat, and him trying to shoot it with his 600 NE!

Then Mark Sullivan appears, and starts to pull the target in, saying "Cal, we have to let the target decide how it wants to DIE!" rotflmo

OMG, That comment made my day! lol

Posts: 28 | Location: Northwest Coast, Norway | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed has, shall we say, a wicked sense of humor...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
You may want to go aboard a container ship before you decide to cross the Atlantic. I have heard great things about the Blue
Train in RSA.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Samuel Johnson said it best:

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food and commonly better company."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13393 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here you go - https://www.freightercruises.com/

Read there and enjoy. You might wind up wanting to skip the hunt and just go freighter cruising around the world.

Typically on these you'll dine with the captain and be one of about 6-8 total passengers. Take plenty of reading material and try to not get a room with a view of a stack of containers.

But, the safari thing will not work with this. For starters bringing a gun on board would be prohibited. Ships rules are not going to allow it. And getting it off would be tougher. Keep in mind, it won't be docking like at an internat'l airport where there are customs people who are used to firearms law and paperwork. You'd be asking I think for a really difficult situation once you arrived. Meaning, where do you go with your double rifle once you leave the gangplank? Can you carry it around town over your shoulder? I think not. And what happens with the first cop you meet?

And finding a boat that went to wherever when you want and back would be impossible.

I'm afraid we're just a little past the good old days of tramp steamers to exotic lands with free and easy customs...

..btw, here's a webpage where you can see in real time all the positions of freighters in all oceans - http://sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml - you can zoom in on it. They also have one for cruise ship positions worldwide. Enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks all and Shack, too. I appreciate all the info as I made the post to learn it it was a realistic possibility.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Cal, Some good friends here in Nigeria are retiring back to Europe next month after 15 yrs in West Africa. Instead of flying back they are sailing back on the Grimaldi (a ro ro car freighter) at EUR 1.750,- for a double cabin all meals (but no booze) included. 21 - 23 day trip.

Seems like steamship travel is coming back into fashion !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

No kidding. Although it sounds interesting on the surface, unless you've experienced it first hand, it's hard to get a grasp on how time can literally stand still on a boat in the middle of the ocean (and not in a good way) with nothing but a horizon of water in all directions, day in, day out for extended periods of time. My last cruise was aboard the USS Roosevelt with 180 days at sea, and a single port of call for 3 days, in of all places ... Dubai!

My wife finally conned me into taking the family on a 6 day cruise a few years back when my boys were little. She was excited to go topside and watch the sunset each evening, asking "isn't it beautiful". My response, "No ... it's water. Was water yesterday and will be water tomorrow. Always looks the same". You've probably figured out by now I wasn't a "lifer" for the Navy! Cool

I have no desire to traverse long distances over water. They won't let me fish off the ship and they won't let me drive it. So what is the point?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote