THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    "Priority Pass" for lounge access

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Priority Pass" for lounge access
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Given Delta's Sky Miles changes, I am looking into using other airlines for trips to Africa and access to other lounges...does anyone have any experience with "Priority Pass"? They claim to give access to 700 plus lounges worldwide, including several in southern Africa. Doesn't appear to be a bad deal but would like to hear first hand if a good or bad deal.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

I have a Priority Pass as part of the Platinum AMEX plan. Frankly I wouldn't pay for it myself because of the fine print and weird rules. For example I can't use my Priority Pass at my home airport in Denver because my card was issued by a "US financial institution". Once at the Joburg airport my wife and I brought our friends into a lounge as guests. Later we received a bill for one guest because although my wife and I both had cards we only showed them one card (we did tell the receptionist we were both members).

Finally, if you are flying into one terminal and a lounge is in another terminal past security you can't use it. For example there are three lounges listed at London Heathrow. I fly into/out of Terminal 5 and can't get into clubs in Terminal 1 or 3 because my ticket says I'm departing from Terminal 5.

I don't know the cost but make sure that the places you intend to fly to have lounges that you can actually use.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Karl:

I also have Priority Pass through AMEX and have used it quite a bit around the world. I've found it useful but then again I'm not paying for it. As Karl says, make sure they have lounges in the terminals you want.

In London they have lounges in T1, T2, and T3 but not T5 which is all British Airways. The only way to get into lounges in T5 is flying First or Business or being One World Elite. T2 is the new Star Alliance terminal at Heathrow and Priority Pass gets you into the United lounge there which is supposed to be pretty good.

The other option if you don't travel that frequently is just buying a day pass for the lounge that you want to go to. Depending on the airline I think they run about $50.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless things have changed recently, being Gold on Star Alliance and Platinum on Sky Team, I get into those lounges for free when traveling internationally.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Unless things have changed recently, being Gold on Star Alliance and Platinum on Sky Team, I get into those lounges for free when traveling internationally.

I'm not sure if anything has changed, but access is free only if you hold a business or first class ticket.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies, we can get the Priority Pass thru AMEX as well, just haven't done so. Looks like we will give it a try and see what happens...really just concerned about Joburg and Harrare and both are listed.

Karl

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Mine is also thru AmEx and I have used it numerous times in different countries, including some in Africa. Sometimes there is a guest charge. Just apply via your AmEx. It's worth the time and effort.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike: Since it is a "free" benefit of the AMEX Platinum Card, we will give it a try next month. As I stated earlier, really only concerned about the lounges in Africa (my wife sort of likes them).

Karl

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Karl,

I have used my card at Harare, in Germany and at Windhoek over the past 4 years and glad I had the card. Soft chairs and cold drinks! Only caution I would give is to be very careful of eating unwrapped food in any lounge, anywhere.

Have a great trip!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

If you get it as I do with AMEX then you have nothing to loose. I just have had bad luck finding a lounge when I'm not flying business. Heathrow is going to be really irritating this time. Flying coach and don't have enough status to get me in and can't buy a day pass.

But as I said its a benefit of the platinum card. We pay enough to have it so you might as well use it.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of huntingineurope
posted Hide Post
Download priority pass app, it will help an overview where you can find a lounge in the different airports.

Some lounge are better than others, but there are always soft chairs and cold drinks.

Priority pass Lounges

SCI Life Member
www.allanvester.dk

Posts: 111 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 02 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rxgremlin:

Not sure how long your layover is in London but there are a number of restaurants and a couple of pubs that make the wait bearable if you can't get into the lounges.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Got mine with MasterCard.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66991 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
...be very careful of eating unwrapped food in any lounge, anywhere...

Especially in the Korean Airlines lounge in Bangkok.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
just as an FYI, according to the Priority Pass website, the membership rates are currently 15% off for 1 year( if you can't get it free with a credit card). the rates, though, are still outrageous. 1 year-$86 plus $27 per visit with a 3 visit limit. comes out to $55/visit.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote