Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

leopard
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, AR! I have been enjoying this site for almost a year and finally joined, so this is my first post.
I am making my second trip to Africa in January and would like your opinions on which areas, parks or hunting lodges would be a good choice for photographing leopards. I have seen the other "Big 4".
Also, would like firsthand information on touring diamond/historic mines.
Am also going to Cairo/Nile and Capetown.
Have been taking notes on all the information discussed on Capetown.
Thank you AA.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If you find yourself in Kenya there is a Lodge called Ngulia lodge in Tsavo West National Park that has a feeding tree close to the dining area with lights on it. The leopard are often seen feeding and even just walking the tracks around there.
The Ngulia area is beautiful.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....Welcome to the forums Anne......... wave

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
cjw who posts here would be a good person for you to contact. I know she has photographed a lot of great leopards at Mashatu which is in Botswana. That is one place that is pretty easy to get to from Johannesburg.

I do have a South African PH who takes clients there for photo tours if that is the type of trip you are looking for.

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you ozhunter, one option is to go back to Kenya, so I will check out your information.
AA

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
South Luangwa Park has also very good reputation for leopard viewing and there are also very good bush camps there. It is an option worth looking into.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Anne

Welcome to the forum. If you're not too worried about whether your subjects are tame, semi tame or wild, there are some places in SA where you'll find some very accommodating subjects for your lens.

One photo safari lodge I know of for example has an ultra tame cheetah, reasonably relaxed Lions and a slightly loopy but photographable Leopard....... if you're interested in this type of venue please e-mail me at my private address at shakari3@mweb.co.za and I'll make a few suggestions.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Gumboots-was just up to Oliktok in June, my third time. Was a little warmer then! Kick up the hot sauce! AA

posted Hide Post
Ann-have checked Mashatu out on Google, another good choice. Will contact your personal info and how do I contact cjw on the forums? Thanks, AA

posted Hide Post
Ahmed-have also checked out South Luangwa, South Luangua on google and am going to put it on my list -Thanks! Did touch on Zambia before on the Zambezi River Sunset float with all the beer, soda and hippos! AA

posted Hide Post
Shakari-Thanks! I'll be contacting you also for more specifics at some time. I'm at a collection point from seriously experienced people at the moment! AA

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Drop me an email and I will have cjw contact you.

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote