THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Airfare is a bit stiff this year - ouch..

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airfare is a bit stiff this year - ouch..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
Just had Gracy book me Business Class from Dulles to Kasane via JNB on Turkish Air for this April / May.. 7k including their fees..

Qatar and Emirates were around 9k. Ethiopian was 1k less that Turkish but I did not want to do the goat rope in Addis with my guns...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently booked round trip flights from Auckland to Istanbul in December this year, on Emirates. It's high season so that needs to be factored but still more than 2 X the cost of the same flights previously done at the same time of year.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed! I have two flights booked to Africa this year. Qatar from Houston to Zambia 9K. I had a credit with KLM so I used it up on a 9K flight from Houston to Tanzania. My wife and I are flying to Mexico's Puerto Vallarta coast tomorrow. That BC fare is normally about 2K now its 4K.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Orlando, Atlanta , Johannesburg was over $13,000.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Last October Kathi Klimes at Wild Travel set me up with United Airlines Business (Polaris) class tickets MSP-EWR-JNB round trip for a bit over 5K. Just for kicks I checked a couple of days ago on the United website and the same seats for the same dates are now over 11K. I would have preferred Delta (2 million miler and lifetime gold from business travel before retirement) but they were very significantly more expensive. Sure glad I listened to Kathi on the early purchase decision.

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Perhaps not the correct place to comment however note that although I am listed as a new member with 3 posts my registration date is 2003 which is correct and I do have more than 3 posts. Probably not a huge deal but one does hope for accurate record keeping in the electronic age.

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phoenix to Perth, Brisbane to Auckland, Auckland to Christchurch, Christchurch to PHX was 13 or 14K and I am not even B class from Australia to NZ, and I am flying with Ms AZW from Perth to Brisbane on her miles!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana-RSA return $2,400 and change. Seems about normal on coach.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I was looking at fares earlier today from San Francisco to Dar es Salaam for an August Selous hunt and was pleasantly surprised to find a business class fare on Emirates for a bit over $6,000. Qatar was around $9,000. Fares are definitely higher than I’d prefer, but I expected Emirates to be higher. Other airlines weren’t much lower.

Emirates it is. Cool

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
I was looking at fares earlier today from San Francisco to Dar es Salaam for an August Selous hunt and was pleasantly surprised to find a business class fare on Emirates for a bit over $6,000. Qatar was around $9,000. Fares are definitely higher than I’d prefer, but I expected Emirates to be higher. Other airlines weren’t much lower.

Emirates it is. Cool

Well, I got brought back down to earth today. It turns out that fare is basic business class, with restrictions and penalties for any changes. Full fare business is over $9,000; so back to the drawing board.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yes most Business Class fares I have priced this year from Anchorage to London have doubled from last year. Flying to Mongolia in August but haven't priced airfare yet... don't know if buying it earlier or later will be substantially different.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Last year I booked 4 business tickets with QA to Joberg from ATL in March for a late August hunt. I periodically checked to see what price changes were occurring with QA. They remained essentially unchanged but in late June for about a week period, they dropped by $1500/ticket, a huge difference. Early vs late is indeed a crap shoot. popcorn

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just think of what this is going to do to the cost of shipping .

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
No worries. I don’t ship…..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s so weird. Some of my team and I fly to Guam business class round trip through Tokyo several times a year and this year our tickets have been about $1,000 cheaper per trip than last year.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
What airline if you don't mind me asking? Wondering if I can use them to get to Ulan Bator...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
United. Guam is a hub for them and they have flights to most of the islands out that way.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Ain't going to be cheaper

Costs are going through the roof.

We just booked round trip business class tickets with Emirates from Boston to Harare (via Dubai and Lusaka) for later this year.

The cost per ticket was nearly $3,000 higher than the cost for the same tickets last year.

The cost would have been somewhat less if we had been willing to transit Johannesburg, but there is no way we will do that if we can avoid it.

And the Emirates ticket costs were $3,000 less per ticket than the cost of the same tickets we priced with Qatar. How Qatar can compete charging that much more remains to be seen but is hard to figure.

The amount of these increases is a huge delta from one year to the next and it doesn't seem to be getting anything but worse.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I would add this for those on the fence.

Our more recent trip to Cameroon, which was business class all the way on Air France in February of this year, was also $3,000 less than the cost of our upcoming trip to Zimbabwe.

I would not wait, but would book now for any trip anyone is planning.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second that.

quote:
I would not wait, but would book now for any trip anyone is planning.

Mike

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
For months I regularly checked on airfare on QA from DFW to JNB. It averaged about $5500-6000 for a business ticket. 3 weeks ago I checked and it had suddenly dropped to $4250. I grabbed 2 tickets and felt great. I checked tonight and it’s now $3500. Hells bells, what a crap shoot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
For months I regularly checked on airfare on QA from DFW to JNB. It averaged about $5500-6000 for a business ticket. 3 weeks ago I checked and it had suddenly dropped to $4250. I grabbed 2 tickets and felt great. I checked tonight and it’s now $3500. Hells bells, what a crap shoot!

You made QA's profit with your purchase. They can now afford to discount the cost for everyone else. Doesn't that make you feel just great ..... Big Grin stir

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The idea of keeping to check air fares and decide when to buy is a hit or miss game.

You can buy a cheap ticket before they go up.

Or you can see it nose diving after your purchase!

This used to be good in the past.

Not anymore, when seats on the same flight cost different!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Dynamic pricing, using AI to maximize revenue; I’m afraid it’s probably here to stay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just made inquiries.

Prices are already up by 10%.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Cheapest way to fly is having a travel agent who doesn't bill you until you are back!

So basically you travel for free!

That is what I do!

Just booked two family trips, First, and I know I will not pay until we are back!

A form of "free" travel! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the bill for shipping some horns and skins from Namibia to Auckland. US $1900. Return airfare US$1400. Offered the shipper a free flight to NZ if she brought the trophies as baggage. QATAR is the only airline willing to carry trophies on that route.
If you do repeated searches for the same flight on the same computer the price soon jumps. Especially with Expedia. Try a different computer and you get the original price!

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cheapest way to fly is having a travel agent who doesn't bill you until you are back!

That is what I do!

Just booked two family trips, First, and I know I will not pay until we are back!

Saeed, my travel agent won't give me interest-free loans for air fares.

What am I doing wrong? Confused what

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

That is what I do!

Saeed, my travel agent won't give me interest-free loans for air fares.

What am I doing wrong? Confused what

Very wise travel agent you have.

I wouldn't ANY loan to a lawyer! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you can be sure of getting a safe model of airplane! Big Grin

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I guess you can be sure of getting a safe model of airplane! Big Grin

You mean like all the hordes of lawyers defending Boeing for their deathly screw ups in the Max? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is certainly true that when one spends several thousand dollars for a plane ticket, he does so with the legitimate expectation that he will arrive at his destination in one piece.

Please, no 737 MAX for me or mine!

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I saw the program on NETFLIX.

Very sad really.

Bad decisions by idiots which Boeing certainly did not deserve!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love but hate computers - I hate the ones that purport to drive my airplane most of all.

What are you going to trust if you’re a pilot?

Your computer or your own eyes?

Mike