Find
Notify
Tools

11 pounds of ammo -- weigh?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
By all reports and based on airline baggage limit details --we are limited to 11 lbs of ammo-- has anyone ever had them (TSA or airline knuckleheads) actually weigh the ammo?

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had TSA weigh them, but on several occasions, I've had the airlines weigh them upon check in.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Back in February, I had a TSA agent rummage through my check on bag and show considerable interest in my ammo. I had two calibers stored in original factory boxes: one group was in a zip lock baggie, the other stored inside a fanny pack. I asked him if I had followed proper proceedure and he replied, "yes." He then went over to the ticket agent and told her he felt my ammo weighed too much. He weighed all of it and it came to 14 lbs. That wasn't a problem per se with the ticket agent, and he appeared to drop the issue. I left the counter and about the time I got to the security gate, I heard my name being called over the intercom. I returned to the counter and was told by the ticket agent, I had to reduce the ammo weight to 11 lbs max. The TSA agent was in a corner talking to his bud's with a sheepish grin on his face. Fortunately, she placed two boxes inside her locker (with my info written on paper, taped around both boxes). My ammo then weighed exactly 11 lbs. I picked up my ammo upon my return. If they check, it will matter. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ticket agent with a British accent asked how much my ammo weighed, and I replied "5 kilos." She said "Oh dear, you can only have 11 pounds."

I had to do the math for her - and then she acted like I was somehow getting over on her. So much for international travel...

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
There have been many posts about this weight "limitation". Is it really an issue? What I mean is that has anyone felt that they were not able to take enough ammo for their safari given the weight limit? For my upcoming trip to Zim I am taking 80 rounds, 40 in 416 Remington and 40 in 375 H&H. WAY more than enough ammo for a 12 day safari and still under the weight limit. Thoughts?

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the limit apply to the ammo only or also to include the container?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:
The ticket agent with a British accent asked how much my ammo weighed, and I replied "5 kilos." She said "Oh dear, you can only have 11 pounds."

I had to do the math for her - and then she acted like I was somehow getting over on her. So much for international travel...

Ummm, 5 Kg = 11.3398 lbs. What math did you show this woman?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They weigh the ammo in the container and I would not get too cute and argue with the agent over it. I was 1 lb. over and she tried to confisticate it but I insisted on keeping it for about 20 minutes until I finally wore her down. With a different agent I might have been handcuffed. Yes, it does matter if they weigh it and it is over. While not everyone needs 11+ lbs of ammo for their safari it is a nice gesture to take all 11 lbs and leave the left over unused ammo for the PH, especially if it is the big bore stuff like 375 H&H, 416 Rigby etc. because this ammo is super expensive over there. Even if they don't own that particular cartridge, they can trade it off for the cartridge they do have. I left behind 2 boxes of 375 H&H and the PH was very thankful for it.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Does the limit apply to the ammo only or also to include the container?
On my last trip we left out of Sacramento CA and I hung around the baggage area to make sure they didn't have any issues with my guns when I noticed one of them walking across the room with my ammo boxes in hand and out of my hard case they were packed in. Running the lady down she said she was going to weigh the ammo as it felt heavy. It was 9 lbs without the case which was only two boxes of my big 606 shells. She did come back and put everything back in place. So that time they did not weigh the container. Usually your ammo will be well under the limit even with the box but sometimes the full 11 lb limit will be needed and I think one could make a case for it being weighed out of it's container, though it should be a fall back position only.
While waiting for the ammo lady the custom guys when through and removed all the cleaning chemicals from my bag. They weren't too interested in discussing it either.

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I suspect she accepted the concept that a kilo is nominally 2.2 lbs and 2.2 x 5 = 11

Besides a 100 rounds of 375 in 20 round plastic boxes weighs about 4.8 kilos. I suspect 50 0f 416 rem mag and 50 of 300 win mag is about the same.

I thinks 100 rounds would be plenty for 21 day safari...otherwise you best get more practice.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Go Mike, Go! Wink
I have the same opinion Cool

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I had my ammo weighed coming through London on the way back from a trip to Eastern Europe last year. The baggage guy was a total asshole. Kept calling me "matey" in a patronising tone. I waited until everything was sorted and into the secure baggage area before I told him what a total prick he was.

I don't think he like my Irish accent much...

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be aware that on SAA the ammunition allowance has been lowered to 4 kg:

http://ww4.flysaa.com/latest_news/may_i_travel_with_this.pdf

All best,

Peter

Posts: 59 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its 11 lbs. or 3 box's of ammo , i just put 3 box's in my wifes bags for my self that way i have all i need , and leave what not shoot up with the guide

no brainer

www.alaska-d-l-outfitters.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lufthansa weighed my ammo in Dallas on the way to Namibia. They said I was allowed 4.4 kg and I had four 20 round plastic boxes of 416 RemMag handloads that weighed 4.2 kg on the scale at the ticket counter. The agent seemed happy that I was under the limit - I don't know if maybe they have been having trouble lately with people taking too much or what.

Scott

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a seperate all up weight allowence for the flight as well?

I sure I have read somewhere that if there are a lot of hunters ahead of you at check-in, you risk having your ammo bumped whether its under your own weight allowence or not???

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Peter and all,
Have just now pulled this off the SAA website. Looks like ammo limit is still 5 kg.

From their frequently asked questions section:

"Can my firearm travel with me?

Yes, however all firearms must be declared at time of check in and may not be checked in as checked baggage. The firearm must be handled via the designated firearm handling process.

Hand Held Firearms

A R100 handling fee is raised for the carriage of hand held firearms. Payment will only be accepted in the form of credit cards or cash at the firearm desk or allocated firearms acceptance area. These firearms will be processed at the firearm desk for safe carriage in the hold of the aircraft.

Rifles (in gun case / rifle bags)

Rifles must be processed via the firearm desk for safe carriage and may form part of your free baggage allowance. Thereafter the excess baggage allowance will be raised as applicable

Ammunition

A maximum of 5kg securely boxed ammunition per passenger will be permitted for carriage in the hold of the aircraft.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The amount [weight] of ammo allowed is an "airline rule", not a "law".

Alaska Airlines allows 50 lbs of ammo. Eeker

So It would seem to me, if you are asked to weigh your ammo, you should have a little less than 4kg of ammo in a convient place, that "looks" like ammo and produce that to be weighed.

Then everbody will ne happy. jumping

The fact that you have 7 other "pieces" of ammo weighing 4kg... well don't ask, don't tell.

I have never had my ammo weighed... But I am always prepared to "weigh" it. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Mine was weighed 2 weeks ago here in Houston.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MVR, that's another good reason to avoid flying SAA.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote