Find
Notify
Tools

Tuffpak and South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
My Boss just got back from his Ele hunt in Botswana and brought me back this letter that was handed to him at SAPS.

So what happens to the guys with tuffpaks?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7600 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
The first paragraph appears to be the relevant statement in regard to the regulations. Para 2 and 3 seem to be some form of guidance or statement from the author.

From my side of the ocean, on QANTAS ammunitiion must always be packed seperately from the rifle. Rifle in the case checked in as sporting, dangerous and excessive length cargo. Ammunition goes in my suitcase, checked into the hold of the airplane.

Easy.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I was referring to the not packed with clothes reference as well. The advantage of the Tuffpak was stuffing it with other items.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7600 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It still is, if you put your rifles in soft cases and have those in the Tuffsak. Then you just pull out the Tuffsak and open up the soft cases and present the rifles. You oftentimes don't even need to pull out of rifle as you can expose the serial numbers without taking out of the soft case. Still seems to be an easy thing to do even with this notice. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
I just returned from RSA Sunday and they made me fly my ammunition in its own case, with its own tag. When I flew in, my ammunition case was in my suitcase with clothing per Airline policy. But leaving they made me take it out and then informed me it had to fly by itself with its own tag, and it still cannot fly in the rifle case either. The airline went along with and said there Country policy overrides the airline. I was flying through Dubai and its was ok with them as long as I had my advanced approval.I was glad I had it in a small Plano case or not sure what they would have done.

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I've always left my ammo behind. Mainly to save weight flying out and also to help out the poor buggas in RSA who have rediculous ammo expenses.

No need for an additional locked case and the hassle. The cost of ammo is negligable compared to hunt costs.

It would be a different story if passing through RSA though or planing to shoot elsewhere afterwards.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be leaving in about 10 days with a Tuffpak. Any news on this issue.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigBBear - I just got back 2 days ago with 2 guns in my Tuffpak, NO PROBLEMS at all.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WE are going to Namibia in two weeks and yesterday we received the "tickets" and information pack from Gracy Travel, and they, essentially, mention exactly what has been said here for RSA, for Namibia also, including the no clothes with the guns, ammo in separate locked container, not in the gun case etc. So, what is the deal with Air Namibia? Are they also going the RSA route?
There is ablolutely no info on the Air Namibia web page, which in itself is such an apology for a national airlines' web presence. And, to top it all off they say only one checked in baggage, although we are allowed two on United. Will they let us check in the two or do we have to pay extra for it.
Thanks
Jas

Jas Madhavan

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got home tuesday and had to tag my ammo and take it out of my suit case on return. three wks earlier it was OK packed in suit case. so I guess were in for another unannounced change in regs. to top it off they lost two box's of 458 ammo after insisting it be taged and shipped as checked luggage.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Just got home Thursday from RSA & Namibia. We had drove from Namibia to Uppington and had to show both guns and ammo at Border Crossing on both sides. All went well. At Uppington Airport we were informed a R200.00 charge per firearm was going to have to be paid. Everyone involed acted like it was their first day on the job. All unfired ammo had to be counted. We kept our ammo in our checked lugggage for the flight to capetown. We had to check our guncases in the secure room at the hotel in Capetown.
For the flight from Capetown to Jo-berg and on to DC all went well. The ammo stayed in the checked luggage. Be advised that they wait until after your bags are checked thru and then weigh your carry on bag. I advise a Min of 3 hours between flights when you arrive back in the states if you have a conecting flight. With security being beefed up it now takes a lot longer to clear when you arrive. We flew on SAA and United and used Airlink from Uppinton to Capetown.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ddrhook, I assume you will be reimbursed for the lost ammo?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Anyone having any experiences with this TuffPak / clothing in the guncase issue.

I go over July 7 and I'm going to have to overnight in JNB. Thus, I'll clear SAPS/Customs coming into RSA and again on the way out.

Am I going to get "the business" if I have clothes and gear in my TuffPak?

Thanks.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Just returned from RSA with Tuffpack. Here is what we did and had no problems.

- Two rifles. Both rifles in their own soft case. Both softcases in the Tuffpack. Along with the shooting sticks (breakdown type) inside the Tuffpack. Nothing moved inside so there was no need for extra clothes to be stuffed inside the Tuffpack.

- Ammo was in ammo holder. And it was in one of the checked bags.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Anyone having any experiences with this TuffPak / clothing in the guncase issue.

Am I going to get "the business" if I have clothes and gear in my TuffPak?

Thanks.

Well, I don't have experience with the Tuff Pak, but last month witnessed first hand someone in the SAPS office frustrate the police officer with his Tuff Pak. He had a devil of a time getting his rifles out for all the gear he had stuffed in it. The officer sent him off to the side while he unpacked and inspected the next hunter's (me) rifles. No big deal as there was only four hunters in there. Don't know if he got the business of not since we got our permits and left while he was still screwing aroung with his Tuff Pak.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been hashed over time and time again. It's simple, if you use a Tuff Pak use the Tuff Sack they make!! If you or anyone else wants /needs to view the contents of the Pak, simply slid the sack out, unzip it and ALL contents are now available to those who wish to see and feel. When all persons have been satisfied, zip it up, slide it back in, pop the top back on, lock it up and be on your merry way. Quite a simple proceedure as opposed to some of the situations stated above.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Amen! +1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I use a Tuffpak, but it's the short, breakdown model. I remove the stocks from the guns and pack the barreled action in a soft case. It is very easy to pull the action out without unpacking anything. I've made 5 trips to Africa and one to Argentina without any problems. Originally I had a full length Tuffpak with the Tuffsak. After one trip to Africa I decided it was too much trouble. The short one is perfect as long as your barreled action or stock are not over 34" long. One of the problems with the Tuffpak is the new weight restriction to 50#, It is easy to go over that. The short Tuffpak helps here, also

Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
What Larry said is absolutely correct. The TuffSac is the way to go. I have one of the original TuffPacs that came before the TuffSac. I bought one of the first TuffSacs available and have made more than a dozen international trips and never had a problem with customs or inspections. As to the weight, the full size TuffPac is still one of the lightest rifle cases on the market.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
I use a Tuffpak, but it's the short, breakdown model. I remove the stocks from the guns and pack the barreled action in a soft case. It is very easy to pull the action out without unpacking anything. I've made 5 trips to Africa and one to Argentina without any problems. Originally I had a full length Tuffpak with the Tuffsak. After one trip to Africa I decided it was too much trouble. The short one is perfect as long as your barreled action or stock are not over 34" long. One of the problems with the Tuffpak is the new weight restriction to 50#, It is easy to go over that. The short Tuffpak helps here, also

Tom

Good idea.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, don't worry about silly regulations. If you have any trouble, just refer them to Little Ernest. He'll take care of it. He's on his way today....be there Saturday!

Posts: 20111 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote