THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    SKB vs TufPak---what am I missing?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKB vs TufPak---what am I missing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
Good day to you all.
I have always used SKB for international travel as well to the lower 48. I heard great things about a TufPak and bought one at Dallas in January. After a close examination I have come to regret the purchase but can't sell it due to the cost of shipping to the states--$160.

Help me see what I am missing:
Both have enough interior room for what I take with me--one or two doubles plus some gear.

The TufPak has one lock only, the SKB two factory locks and hasps for two additional.

The TufPak has no interior padding--it's just a plastic shell. The SKB has a foam interior.

When my rifles are in a takedown soft case(s) and placed in the hard case, it seems the SKB offers more protection and more security due to additional locks.

Weight is about the same, both have a handle and wheels. And, the TufPak seems grossly over priced for being a plastic box.

Am I wrong at this? If so tell me more about the TufPak. What am I not seeing or considering?
Thanks for your input and cheers. I'm off to SA and Zim in three weeks for two buffalo, hippo, and plains game and will take one or the other to protect my beloved .600 Wilkes.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I used a TufPak on one trip. I then switched to a Kalispel case and have never looked back. For me the TufPak is too hard to deal with and you frequently end up with weight issues packing it with other stuff to cushion the rifles.

Mike

Posts: 21420 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
I bought a tuffpak and this trip in 2 weeks will be the first time I have used it. I also was not happy with the 1 lock system so I modifed it after looking at Judge G's pics of the way he modified his. I think the tuffpak is almost indestructible and with the additional lock I installed, I believe it is just about burglar proof. Look at the pictures on the tuffpak thread.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave for Zim in a little over 2 months. Here is my plan (obviously thinking way too much.... Roll Eyes).
My wife is accompaning me and "she" is taking a 30-06. I am taking a 416 bolt & a 470 double.
I am going to put the 30-06 and the 470 in a Boyt hard case simliar to the SKB. I will put the 416 in a Tuffpak along with as much gear as possible and keep beneath 50 lbs.
The remainder of our gear we will take on board (carry on) the plane between the both of us.
This provides peace of mind in a few areas. All our gear is locked up or secured on board with us. No zippers that can be tampered with.
Also, if one gun case does not arrive the other will suffice (470 & 30-06) or a 416 that will do what they other two are capable of.
Likely loose both cases...

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
Good day to you all.
I have always used SKB for international travel as well to the lower 48. I heard great things about a TufPak and bought one at Dallas in January. After a close examination I have come to regret the purchase but can't sell it due to the cost of shipping to the states--$160.

Help me see what I am missing:
Both have enough interior room for what I take with me--one or two doubles plus some gear.

The TufPak has one lock only, the SKB two factory locks and hasps for two additional.

The TufPak has no interior padding--it's just a plastic shell. The SKB has a foam interior.

When my rifles are in a takedown soft case(s) and placed in the hard case, it seems the SKB offers more protection and more security due to additional locks.

Weight is about the same, both have a handle and wheels. And, the TufPak seems grossly over priced for being a plastic box.

Am I wrong at this? If so tell me more about the TufPak. What am I not seeing or considering?
Thanks for your input and cheers. I'm off to SA and Zim in three weeks for two buffalo, hippo, and plains game and will take one or the other to protect my beloved .600 Wilkes.
Cal

Cal:

I looked at TuffPak and came up with the same conclusion; it is simply a plastic shell. Nothing wrong with that, but why does it cost more than $200?????

I have been using my aluminum Cabela's case for nearly 20 years and never had a problem.

The other issue with TuffPaks and nice guns is the issue of your guns not making it to your port of entry. Customs now cuts the locks off (you might want to bring an extra key to give them in the event your bags don't show up). I wouldn't trust Customs to put my guns back in the way I wanted them, but it is pretty hard to screw up a conventional case.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I cant find any SKB case that weighs close to what a tuffpak weighs. They seem to run 50% heavier.

I have traveled with both a conventional case (Pelican) and a Tuffpak. Both work, both have their own unique problems and challenges.

Pick which you like best and use it.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Tuffpak on four safaris and many trips in CONUS as a contract firearms instructor. I've never had any issues and have even bought a short one that is perfect for traveling with long guns that disassemble like 870's and AR-15s. I like the option of packing gear in it and traveling light with my suitcase.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal: I have one of the older SKB two rifle cases, it is heavier than a Tuffpak (14.4 lb empty), but has field replaceable locks, which I like, and is tough as hell. I'm sort of particular bout my rifles and this August it will have a CZ .416 Rigby and a .470 double in it enroute to Zim and I will not worry too much about a baggage handler damaging either rifle. Sort of funny happening...when leaving Joburg last year, at the Delta counter one of the "security" workers was stacking rifles on a trolley to take them to the firearms office when he slid an Americase rifle case onto the trolley and sheared the padlocks off of the Americas on the corner of my SKB case...I saw it happen and pointed it out to the owner of the Americase, he was not amused. Even gave him a spare lock I hd in my bag. I like SKB cases.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2834 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
before i quit taking guns to Africa, i used a SKB case- either the double rifle case or the large bow case. both allowed a fair amount of room for other items and took a lot of abuse with no damage to contents....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13269 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
I cant find any SKB case that weighs close to what a tuffpak weighs. They seem to run 50% heavier.
But when you account for whatever padding material you must use with the Tuffpak the weight comes out about the same.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stone - You DON'T use padding with the Tuff Pak, that's the whole idea of it. For those interested in using the Tuff Pak correctly, check out the past couple of dozen threads on the subject.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
But when you account for whatever padding material you must use with the Tuffpak the weight comes out about the same.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of the new commercial about the iPhone vs. the Samsung Galaxy fight. hammering

I've used the Tuffpak for 8 trips to Alaska with a ninth coming up in a week. I think the main advantage of the Tuffpak is that most people are going to take a soft case regardless along with a pair or more of boots and a jacket, ammo (depending on the airline), etc. I've stuck a rifle, shotgun (both in soft cases), boots, jackets, spotting scope, ammo, trekking poles, and various sundrey things in a TuffPak, all right at the magical 50 lb. limit with no problems to date. I doubt you get that done with the SKB. Plus, every baggage handler thinks it's got golf clubs inside, not guns.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Red is right. The soft cases I take anyway are the padding.

Anyway, I don't sell either case, so I don't have a dog in the hunt. Use what you like.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've used hardcases (ie: Pelican) to transport firearms prior to my trip to Tanzania last year and (based in large part on what I've learned here) purchased a Tuffpak for my first safari. Now I'm sold on the concept! While it's true that there's no "padding" within the case, the items packed with the firearms (soft cases, clothing, boots, etc...) easily provide all the protection the guns need during transport. I like the idea that these don't look like "gun cases" and the fact that some of the bulkier items mentioned above don't have to be stowed within dufflebags that carry my clothing.

In a few months a couple friends and I will be waterfowl hunting in Canada and the idea that all three of us can transport our guns in one container isn't just convenient, it saves us a bit of cash. One of us is a "frequent flier" with the airline we're using and is allowed to check luggage such as this without incurring additional fees. So long as all our Customs documents are properly included with the firearms, we're "good to go!"

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuffpak all the way! My last two trips I have taken two bolt guns and a double rifle taken down in my tuffpak with other misc. thrown in. Yep...overweight but no worries and you will need the soft cases when you get there.

I'll stick with my tuffpak after four Africa trips absolutley no issues and I think the existing lock on the tuffpak is about as good as you are gonna get!

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On trips where I need to bring a sleeping bag, the Tuffpak is useful for carry the bag, ad well as providing protection when wrapped around the gun(s). For doubles or take-down rifles (Blaser, Mauser M03) on trips where I don't need a sleeping bag, I use a Pelican.

Posts: 20148 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a few months a couple friends and I will be waterfowl hunting in Canada and the idea that all three of us can transport our guns in one container isn't just convenient, it saves us a bit of cash.

I agree, but some airlines arbitrarily limit the number of long guns in a single case to two. I have no idea why this is, but you need to check with the airline you're using before departing.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plus, every baggage handler thinks it's got golf clubs inside, not guns.

Yeah, that would seem an advantage. I've looked at the SKB golf case with that notion in mind. It is actually shaped like a golf case with a smaller "head", but has plenty of room for rifles. If you put some golfing stickers on the exterior it would provide additional camouflage, or further the charade, depending on how you look at it. Not sure what kind of problem it might cause upon arrival in some African countries if the baggage handlers sent it with the regular baggage rather than to the gun office.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. The Tuffpak can be used to store other items in camp. I don't see a way to get in to it without a hacksaw, torch, or big crowbar.
2. Don't underestimate the fact that all the thieves that inhabit our airports don't know if your Tuffpak has guns or golf clubs. I personally know at least three custom rifle makers that will only ship their rifles to conventions, shows, and even customers for that reason.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 486 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a tuff pac for more than 10 years. It has been to Africa once and numerous trips in the USA and Canada. I have had zero issues with the contents in this case. I usually pack some of my clothes with my guns in this case and often have 2-3 guns in the case.
I think they are hard to beat.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2641 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the same Kalispell case for over 30 years, indestructible, I see no need to change.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I guess it comes down to personal preference. My go-to case is the Tuffpak. I have a pelican, very similar to SKB, but rarely use it.

Pack your Tuffpak correctly and it's a great case.

There are drawbacks to each. One must weigh their needs and desires and pick the appropriate case. They are both excellent cases.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Tuffpaks. Personally, I find them difficult to deal with. I have used them going to Argentina to shoot ducks. it is a monumental pain in the ass to remove the guns (as requested) then get everything back in the Tuffpak.

Personally, I love the Americase.

Posts: 12027 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry - Not hard at all if you use the Tuff Sack in conjunction with the Tuff Pak. Usually all anyone wants to see is the serial number on the guns. I simply pull them out half way in their soft case, they look at the number, slide it back down in place. Nothing could be easier. If for some reason they want to look at something else, again simply slide the Tuff Sack all the way out, unzip it and everything is close at hand to show and tell. Zip it back up, slide it back in, pop the lid on, lock the lock and on your way.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have a couple of Tuffpaks. Personally, I find them difficult to deal with. I have used them going to Argentina to shoot ducks. it is a monumental pain in the ass to remove the guns (as requested) then get everything back in the Tuffpak.

Personally, I love the Americase.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I do the very same thing as you, Larry Sellers! tu2 I have used them on the last 8 Safaris without a hitch. Been to Mexico hunting with it as well. Soon to go on Safari No. 11 in three weeks! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used several different gun cases on airplane trips, plastic, aluminium, the Pelican, and the TuffPak.

I much perfer the TuffPak.

On our last trip to Zim the wife and I took 2 standard size Tuffpaks and one take down TuffPak.

Just got back from a 26 day drip to my Texas hunting lease, and I even used a Tuffpak on that trip.

I can cable it securely inside my trailer to keep my stuff secure when I am out hunting.

I also cable it to the inside of my truck when traveling.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Same TuffPak since 1995. 18 african safaris (off again in 2 weeks) and other international travel. Very easy for inspections when using the TuffSak. I would not use any other type, style nor brand of gun case ever again.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you Tuffpac users using the ones with integral keyed locks or those that require external pad locks?

Hook em Horns

Posts: 331 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has the vending machine type lock. Can't be cut, or damaged by baggage handlers so see no need for any additional locking device. Since TSA requires only the owner have the key this fits the bill nicely. If they want to look in the case at check in (never had them want to) in 15 trips, simply give the key to the Agent, wait for inspection, key is returned, then on your way.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by lrich:
Are you Tuffpac users using the ones with integral keyed locks or those that require external pad locks?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Mine has the vending machine type lock. Can't be cut, or damaged by baggage handlers so see no need for any additional locking device. Since TSA requires only the owner have the key this fits the bill nicely. If they want to look in the case at check in (never had them want to) in 15 trips, simply give the key to the Agent, wait for inspection, key is returned, then on your way.

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:

One big problem now is that if your guns do not make back to the US, Customs will cut your locks and inspect the guns when they do show up.

If I had more time on my hands, I would definitely look into making a knock-off. I am baffled as to why a plastic shell on wheels costs so much...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ - The vending machine lock can't be cut off. Maybe they could drill it out or cut the actual case in half with a saw of some kind. That should be interesting!!

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:

One big problem now is that if your guns do not make back to the US, Customs will cut your locks and inspect the guns when they do show up.

If I had more time on my hands, I would definitely look into making a knock-off. I am baffled as to why a plastic shell on wheels costs so much...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:

its called capitalism----it costs that much because they can get it--

If you can produce a comparable product cheaper-go for it, thats what America is suppose to be about.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 TP's. I do not care for them. I will only use them when taking shotguns. I much prefer the Americase.

Posts: 12027 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never drank the Koolaide. Been using an SKB for years.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote