THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    US Custom issues and Global Entry
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Custom issues and Global Entry
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I registered today. Anything is better than waiting in a line with 200 people sweating whether you will make a connection.

I go for my "interview" this afternoon. So far the process of signing up has been very simple and straightforward.

Mike

Posts: 21247 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I go for my interview next week. Let me know how it went.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I too considered the benefits of Global Entry when I saw a few pass quickly through on my return from RSA last weekend while I stood in line for about 20 minutes. However, it would have done nothing to shorten the hour wait at customs with my firearm. Atlanta was my final destination but those ahead of me with connecting flights were panicked. The Class A prick at the head of the head of the line who felt the need to hand out a ration of shit to the customs agent certainly did not make matters easier for the rest of us.

While some travelers could possibly handle themselves better in these situations, I can understand their reactions to an obtuse customs official after a 16-hour flight and facing a possible missed connection.

quote:
Originally posted by Tsquare2:
...I can say without reservation that I have encountered more problems, or at least irritants and delays, coming back home than I ever have elsewhere...

I can certainly agree with the above observation. It is most painfully obvious in some of the Caribbean islands where you clear US immigration and customs in the airport in the Caribbean. Nothing like dealing with polite and cheerful people on one side of a doorway only to walk through it an be met by rude, lazy and careless American immigration and customs workers. Welcome Home!

Back to my return last Saturday. Delta Flight 201 arrives into Atlanta from Joburg' at about the same time every single day of the week (within a 15-30 minute window the last 3 times I've flown it). Knowing that there are going to be returning hunters on that flight with firearms, how hard would it be to staff the customs area with officials ahead of time to meet this rush? I stood in line with 8 to 12 other hunters for 20 to 30 minutes before a handful of customs officers came shuffling into work and fiddlefucked around for 10 to 15 minutes while we all stared at them before they started the glacially slow task of doing their job. I can only immagine what that line would have been like in June or July when dozens of hunters were on that flight.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Me too George. Returning to Atlanta was a jerk-around from the git-go. We missed our flight home for the exact reasons you mention. Fortunately, we only had a 4 hr wait before getting a flight to BNA. I do think I will sign up for Global Jerk-Around. Maybe I've save enough time to get to my next flight home Smiler
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Mike,

I go for my interview next week. Let me know how it went.

Very simple process. Takes about 20 minutes. You watch a short video that shows how the entry system works and how to use the system. Then a few questions about prior criminal convictions, immigration issues, etc. Finally they take your picture and take digital copies of your fingerprints, left and right hands. Put a sticker in your passport and send you on your way. Piece of cake.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I would like to echo what Larry and Gatogordo said-

I came through LAX from Europe last week, and the Custom Officer "screener" who takes your declaration form asked me what I did for employment- I told her I am with ______ (a well known international investment firm), "secondary" no eye contact at any point, pretty dismissive - I was pretty shocked, I mean there were tiny people from far away lands pushing massive carts loaded with god knows what who were waived through with barely a look and I get sent to secondary?

The vibe I got was the short black gal decided to stick it to the "rich" white guy-

While I am waiting- forever- for an inspector, there is some lunk in a uniform shouting out "you" pointing to girls, and summoning them to him.

I watched this 5-6 times, each time it was a young pretty girl, and the guy was giggling and joking with these gals, asking the questions - what's in the bag, who is meeting you here...most or all of whom were foreign.

I just found the whole thing pretty disgusting.

And I agree, the US is the absolute worst for treatment of arrivals, citizen and non, than any other 1st, 2nd or 3rd word country I have visited as well.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! I'm not an experienced traveler and after reading this thread...I'm a little worried. I've flown into Mexico (Cancun) 3 years ago and going and coming was no issue. Of course I didn't have firearms either.

I am planning a hunt in SA next June and just starting to get all details and travel info started. I'd planned to fly from Atlanta (Starting in Birmingham of course) but it sounds terrible for getting back home. I'll definitely check out GE so I appreciate everyone telling of their experiences with it!

Scott

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used mine this morning and avoided the line totally. Money well spent.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to travel internationally a lot more than I do now. About 10 years or so there was a government program (I think it was called INS Pass) where you got an ID, put your hand in a scanner, and passed through Customs. That program was discontinued a few years later. While it lasted, it worked great; the ID worked as well for boarding planes. Unfortunately, it had to be renewed once per year and at the end of the day, was deep sixed for some reason.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
So I've been looking into this, and on the website, it tells you the locations, and the times of operation.

Now, in Wash DC, operation hours are 10am-6pm, so if you're flying SAA, that wont work for you bc their flights land at like 530 am....

I was excited about this...not so much anymore.

I beleive these are the office hours for the interview and finalization of your application. The Kiosks are present in the CBP lines and avaialble to travellers unless down on a 24/7 basis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Global Entry is the ticket. On my recent return from Zim, walked right over to the kiosk, scanned my passport, put my hand on the scanner for verification of my fingerprints and I was done. There was no one else at the Global Entry kiosk. Took less than three minutes. Made me first in line at Customs, so the wait there was minimal. Well worth the price and effort to get this done.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same with me today. It is the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know anything about the pilot program that the GE website mentions concerning and expedited TSA inspection? That with GE would be the bomb.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I fly 200,000+ miles a year for my job. I signed up for global entry as soon as it came out and I love it. Most airports do not have US citizens only lines. They are US citizen/resident. These are always bogged down and delayed. The problem with global entry when you return from a hunt is you normally reply YES when asked if you were on a farm, etc. You will get a big X on the ticket to notify customs to check you. You still pass through immigration faster as long as you fill out the additional immigration form also (not required for global enty unless you get the big X)

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am writing this waiting for my connecting flight having just gone through the process with Global Entry. I traveled with my wife and two boys from Jo'burg on DL 201. Wife had Global Entry, boys are too young. Parents used kiosk, boys used adjacent booth, no waiting. Picked up bags and guns. At customs gun check we were put in front of the line because of Global Entry. They had may be 3-4 agents checking guns...way backed up. For $100 for 5 yrs. It's worth every dolla. I got the big X because I hunted and needed my boots sprayed otherwise it would have been a breeze. Without guns/hunting Global Entry even has a priority line through customs. BTW Amex platinum is paying the fees for Global Entry right now paid for mine and the wife's. Boys are too young to get it now, have to be 14y/o

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have the Global Entry clearance on my passport. The meeting/interview, done at SFO, was a pleasure; both agents were interested in my hunting and the clearance questions were of no consequence. I will be using it in Atlanta on my return from Zim in about 9 weeks. I am hoping for all to work as intended. BTW, I got my GE free as an AmEx Platinum Card member.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I used the Global Entry for the first time three months ago coming back from Burkina Faso with two rifles. No problems and the best part it was free with my Sentri card.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Does anybody know anything about the pilot program that the GE website mentions concerning and expedited TSA inspection? That with GE would be the bomb.

Mark

You can't say 'bomb' in the airport. or in an airport thread. I am reporting you to the TSA.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Global Entry is fantastic. I work in a group that travels a lot and everyone has it. Saves a lot of frustration and quite often there is an expedited Customs line as well.

I'm looking forward to the TSA lines for trusted travelers. I hate standing in the TSA lines behind vacationers that are utterly clueless about the procedures.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the Amex Plat offer through Amex or GE?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's through Amex. I don't remember if we had to register or not but basically pay the fee with Amex Platinum then they will credit the fee on the same statement it shows up on.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Mark

Mark-

It will be at limited airports - Atlanta will be one - and you must enter your GE ID # under your reservation. I am flying Delta, so went to my reservation then to the CBP site where you list your full name, etc. Enter your GE ID # into the space indicated.

TSA/CBP will pre-determine who will qualify by placing a code in your boarding pass which, when scanned by TSA will show your status and you will be sent to a special lane - read faster. There is nothing you can do to be selected and frequent flyers as well as GE persons may be selected.

Not sure when it will start but my guess is maybe September. I hope it's in effect when I return from Zim. If you go to the GOES site and click on the ID card you will get some info that will lead you to a CBP site where you can read their blurb. WHEW! Good luck.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enrolled in GOES late last year, and it works great. Just walk up to the kiosk, slide the passport, fingerprints are scanned, and retinal scan. A receipt is printed and your good to go. Just have to wait on your rifles as most of you know TSA has to be sure they are what the X-ray says they are.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I have had a similar experience coming through Dulles (IAD) both in 2010 and 2011, passport control has long lines. Customs however was a total breeze without even asking about the rifles or asking for a 4457 or inspection. The total custom process in both years took less than 30 seconds. However passport control took no more than 20-30 minutes which I'm not sure is worth the $100 and application headache.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote