Notify
Tools

the question of LOCKS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Hi guys,

Going from JFK to Joberg(direct) then onto Bloemfontein via SAA.
Using a Pelican double rifle case.
What kind of locks do you all recommend? Keyed? Keyed alike? Combination? 3 or 4 number tumbler combo? Any particular brand? I prefer not to use a Master lock as I have been able to pick most of them since I was in high school.

Also, my ammo will be in my clothes baggage. What kind of lock on that? TSA lock okay?

Opinions appreciated!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
My setup:
1.Pelican gun case - 4 combination locks (2 on case, 2 inside with note to replace should locks need to be cut.) Also, a copy of my 4457 included in the gun case.
2.Clothing suitcase - TSA combo lock.
3. Ammo case - TSA combo lock. Ammo case then put inside my clothing suitcase.
4. Carry-on bag or backpack with some extra clothes (I did 2 days worth), toiletries, reading material, etc. If your clothing/ammo suitcase gets lost, the 2 days of cloths will get you through since camp does daily laundry.

Travel agent said use combo locks so there is no key to lose. Another benefit of combo locks, while I was waiting in line to get my Visa in Mozambique, I gave my PH the combo for the guncase and he went ahead and got all my gun permits taken care of before I even made it through the Visa line.

I found this setup worked fine for me and I didn't have any hassle.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like keyed alike locks & would use them on both guncase & ammo case if the ammo case did not have an installed lock with it. JMO
I have yet to personally find a use for TSA locks.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use any kind of lock you want
They DO NOT have to be TSA locks
I posted before the TSA regulation.
Go to there Web Page
Big Strong Keyed locks is what I use.
Never in 13 trips to Africa have I had an issue.
Only once in Montana they told me I needed 2 locks.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last several trips, I used Master Lock 630D on our Pelican cases.

Strong, lightweight aluminum body. Set your own combo (can't be picked). Got them at Home Depot.

Secure several times thru OR Tambo. What better test is there?

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost ANY padlock can be shimmed a lot easier than it can be picked, takes 2 minutes and the combo ones are actually easiest since they generally only have 1 latch......

So dont worry about them being picked, they can also be cut very easily.... just use whatever lock gives you security and roll with it....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Sevens set-up. That is exactly what I used. The important thing is that your gun case should NOT have a TSA lock on it. Only YOU should have the key/combo.

I would rather have a TSA lock on my bag and ammo box because you know the TSA is going to open it. I would rather have them open it with a key than cut the lock.

Obviously bring your binos, camera and anything of value in your carry-on.

The baggage theives in Joburg don't bother with the locks anyway. They insert a ballpoint pen between the teeth of the zipper and open the bag that way. A bag with metal zippers makes it a little harder to do.

I always carry some zip ties with me because they can come in handy. They take up no weight and are better than nothing if your locks get cut.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
+1 on the set-up that Sevens & rxgremlin use, haven't had a problem.

I leave in a month to hunt ele in Namibia & that's the way I'm traveling

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my Americase this time, I'm going with TSA locks, but, I've got two locking the case, two in the case, with a request that if they cut the lock, they replace, and two TSA locks hooked on D-rings on the outside of the case, hoping that if they clip a lock they would use one of those, probably wishful thinking.

Last time, one of two locks vanished in transit. Go figure.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lavaca
Do as you wish, but from what I read on the TSA info, TSA locks are not allowed on your gun case.
I ask a TSA agent about that & was told they want only the owner to be able to open the gun case & no one else.
If I could suggest, put 2 different locks of your choosing in your case & when you get to check-in ask a TSA agent & be prepared to change locks if informed to.

Good Luck & Good Hunting

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Frank,

If I can add one more thing to my original post, pretty much everyone I talked to said to put anything of value (Camera's, binoculars, etc) in your carry-on. I heard quite a few reports of people losing cameras and such due to the sticky fingers of airport personnel.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had not had locks that were built in to my gun case, I would have had both of my rifles stolen in Atlanta last year. Some one sheared off both pad locks and their mounting studs. I discovered the attempted theft when I picked my rifles up in Johannesburg. Whatever you use, redundancy seems like a good idea to me.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok. I am confused now.

The last time I did this I used TSA locks on my guncase -- so they wouldn't have to cut them off if they wanted to inspect. I put spares inside the case, just in case they cut them off anyway. Well they cut the locks and didn't replace them. Fortunately, everything arrived intact. Guess I've got nothing worth stealing.

Now I'm told that TSA locks -- the grand locks approved and insisted upon by our beloved, esteemed and gloriously respected government and/or its incredibly competant agemcies -- is unacceptable and that I should use a Masterlock.

Hell, a Masterlock might make me feel better, but we've got to appease the beaurocrats. What is everyone doing? I'm going to forward this to Steve Turner -- Travel with Guns. They are the best at knowing all of the answers to these questions.

I suspect Steve can dispel any concerns and clarify the issues, if any.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
lavaca: No offense meant, but this very issue has been addressed on AR numerous times. Here are the requirements: TSA locks are NOT approved on gun cases. Only locks that can be opened by the gunowner are allowed to be used on your gun cases. You, the hunter, are the only individual allowed have a key to open the locks. TSA has never approved, insisted upon, or required that your gun locks be TSA locks as that would clearly violate federal regulations, and open you up to potential prosecution for failing to follow the regs. Steve Turner will certainly confirm this for you, and every airline's website firearms requirements will also confirm the very same thing. There should be absolutely no confusion with anyone about this issue. By not following the federal regs you do so at your own peril. Big Grin I suspect that the reason that your locks were cut off was because you were not available for the TSA inspection. Usually that occurs after you have checked your gun case, filled out the firearms declaration card and left for the gate. I have learned to always ask the ticket agent to contact TSA and tell them that I will wait at the ticket counter until they determine whether or not they wish to open and inspect my gun case. Oftentimes, after speaking with TSA, the ticket agent immediately comes back and gets my keys and takes them to TSA, who inspect the gun case, returns my keys and then I'm on to the boarding gate. I made the mistake of not doing that a couple of times early on in my African hunting Safaris and I ended up being summoned over the airport PA system all the way back to the ticket counter so that I could provide my keys to TSA. Fortunately, I heard the PA summons, returned in time and didn't miss either flight. But it was very close both times! They are also not supposed to allow your gun case to fly with the locks cut off, as that violates federal law securing the firearms. But, as we have all sadly learned, TSA agents themselves oftentimes don't know their own regulations!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
lavaca: No offense meant, but this very issue has been addressed on AR numerous times. Here are the requirements: TSA locks are NOT approved on gun cases. Only locks that can be opened by the gunowner are allowed to be used on your gun cases. You, the hunter, are the only individual allowed have a key to open the locks. TSA has never approved, insisted upon, or required that your gun locks be TSA locks as that would clearly violate federal regulations, and open you up to potential prosecution for failing to follow the regs. Steve Turner will certainly confirm this for you, and every airline's website firearms requirements will also confirm the very same thing. There should be absolutely no confusion with anyone about this issue. By not following the federal regs you do so at your own peril. Big Grin I suspect that the reason that your locks were cut off was because you were not available for the TSA inspection. Usually that occurs after you have checked your gun case, filled out the firearms declaration card and left for the gate. I have learned to always ask the ticket agent to contact TSA and tell them that I will wait at the ticket counter until they determine whether or not they wish to open and inspect my gun case. Oftentimes, after speaking with TSA, the ticket agent immediately comes back and gets my keys and takes them to TSA, who inspect the gun case, returns my keys and then I'm on to the boarding gate. I made the mistake of not doing that a couple of times early on in my African hunting Safaris and I ended up being summoned over the airport PA system all the way back to the ticket counter so that I could provide my keys to TSA. Fortunately, I heard the PA summons, returned in time and didn't miss either flight. But it was very close both times! They are also not supposed to allow your gun case to fly with the locks cut off, as that violates federal law securing the firearms. But, as we have all sadly learned, TSA agents themselves oftentimes don't know their own regulations!

TSA once cut off my locks; they installed TSA locks in their place. I had to get a TSA guy to open them when I claimed my bags. This happened on a flight from Canada where I cleared US Customs in Vancouver BC but then connected to PHX from Denver.

I now fly with two regular locks and two TSA locks; no one has ever complained.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you get TSA locks? Headed to Zim next month, never had my locks cut on my gun case but have had them cut on my duffle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy them anywhere-even Walmart.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pursuant to federal regs, TSA locks are ok on your duffle, but NOT on your gun case. The TSA buffoons that installed TSA locks on AAZW's gun case were in violation of the federal regs, but most likely did so as a practical matter in order to ensure that the gun case would stay locked for the remainder of the trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of this is really very simple. Put non TSA locks on your gun case per Federal Regulation. You are the only one with the key, period. When checking in at the airport, tell the check in Agent you want to wait right there until TSA has checked and cleared your guncase and informed you all is OK. If they want/need to get inside your guncase, they can get the key from you at the check in desk. When all is well, proceed to your gate of departure. No need for lock cutting or any other problems when using the above proceedure.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Larry. Same thing that I said in one of my earlier posts above, but not as succinct. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG - Yours was just as good, seems it takes a time or two for some to pick up on the SOP?? Wink

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Thank you Larry. Same thing that I said in one of my earlier posts above, but not as succinct. Big Grin

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that one! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notwithstanding the federal regulations, this question continues to arise because TSA frankly a) doesn't know its own rules, and b) doesn't really care when that is pointed out to them. On my last trip to Africa, I used a keyed lock for which I had the only key. However, the TSA agent insisted that the lock on the gun case had to be a TSA approved lock. I carry printed copies of the regulations with me, and tried to point out the discrepancy between the regulations and what he was telling me. To make a long story short, I was told that he didn't give a damn what the paper said: if TSA couldn't access the contents then they would cut the lock off. If I hadn't been able to find a TSA lock in the airport sundries store, I would not have been permitted to check my rifles. And not to sound too cynical, but the result easily could be just the opposite the next time I travel with rifles: "you can't use these TSA approved locks, as the regs require that only you have the key..."

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Leon,

Welcome to AR. Please identify the airport date and time of your encounter with TSA. Did you ask to speak with his on duty supervisor? Have you filed a complaint with TSA, Homeland Security and copied all your federal congress persons?

This kind of behavior is inexcusable and needs to be pursued by you, in order to prevent its recurrence.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. That TSA agent was asking you to directly violate federal law, and his supervisor should have been summoned. He should have, at the very least, been reprimanded, if not terminated. Those of us that travel with firearms in locked Tuff Pak cases with vendor locks would have created a hellstorm on this one!