New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using Delta Miles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went on my first trip to Zim last Sep-Oct. As most on this forum predicted, I am now officially infected and am planning the next trip for 2013. Only negative I had on my last trip was the flight from Atlanta to Joburg on Delta's "upgraded" economy class. I have already started to accumulate miles on an AE card and am almost to 200K, as next time I am going in the front of the bus so I can sleep. Anyone used Delta miles to go recently? The website listed 3 classes of redemptions, but only the upper two were available. American lets you use miles to book almost a year in advance. Delta's site would not let me look past November of 2012. Will the various agents (Gracy, Steve Turner) charge you a fee and use your miles?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Hey Dr J.

I leave in 6 weeks using Delta miles, front of the bus. Delta's 777 business class is nice.

The bad news is they cost 315k miles. Quite a shock because a few years ago they used to cost 90.

They do advertise the lower mile requirement, but those tickets are impossible to get.

Delta accepts reservations 330 days from the date of travel. I used to call them almost to the minute after they open the flight. It used to work in getting the lower mileage. But now, not so much.

Steve Turner booked my tickets, and charged a fair fee. But I also had a connection to HRE in the mix, so IMO his service is worth every penny.

If you were flying just to JNB, you can definitely DIY.

Welcome to the affliction. There is no cure!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 06 and 08 I was able to get 3 seats each time in BE once even on KLM to Cape Town for 120k each. Feel very luck i was able to get them, also had Flexible dates.

Like Jack says not so easy, i dont think they even exist, jsut spent 80k to go from Florida to boston in FC.

Tried last 3 years to get to Tanzania and nothing was available for any amount of FF miles in Buisness Class, I think they did have some coach.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
It has gotten ridiculous how many miles it takes to go 1st class now.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
When 'everything' you do rewards you with double and even triple miles, miles are devalued. Back when you got miles just for flying and that was it, 60-80K of miles was a bigger deal.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we did it a couple years back. gracy charged us a little bit, but made sure we got the tickets and decent seating. was worth every penny we paid her

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
United and theit Star Alliance only charged 120,000 miles for business seats and they were a sight more relaxing than economy. I'm too damn big to fly economy, even the exit rows won't recline very much. And since United partnered with S African Airways, they only have economy and the business class turns out to be first class. Plus they will let you book 331 days in advance.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
United and theit Star Alliance only charged 120,000 miles for business seats and they were a sight more relaxing than economy. I'm too damn big to fly economy, even the exit rows won't recline very much. And since United partnered with S African Airways, they only have economy and the business class turns out to be first class. Plus they will let you book 331 days in advance.

MsAZW and I are both elite on more than one airline. In our experience, United has the best availability.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote