THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Any Firearm Related Must See in Tucson??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Firearm Related Must See in Tucson??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK tagging along with the wife for a 2 week stay in Tucson. Any good shops etc that I can kill time in??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You might make a phone call to David Miller to see if he and Curt have time to show you their shop. And there is another good gunshop two or three blocks down the street on either N Country Club or N Tucson that is always worth a visit.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how far that is from Prescott, but Fred Wells' wife Rachael and his sons still run a shop in Prescott. Last I heard they were developing their own Magnum Mauser action.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Prescott is about 3.5hrs one way.

Hate to ask to bother someone like Miller just to kill time on my part.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
That is why I suggest calling but Murphy's gunshop is always worth a visit.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Murphy's gunshop

Heading there Wed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I know it's not a gun shop, but doesn't SCI have their museum and headquarters in Tucson?

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I know it's not a gun shop, but doesn't SCI have their museum and headquarters in Tucson?

it is and if you drive up there you might as well continue over the hill to the Sonoran Desert Museum and make a day of it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
That looks like a doable trip.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

it is and if you drive up there you might as well continue over the hill to the Sonoran Desert Museum and make a day of it.

Both the International Wildlife Museum and Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum are must see's.

I might also suggest a visit to the late Harry Lawson's Gunsmithing Co. at 3328 N. Richey.

Hope you enjoy your stay in the "Old Pueblo."

~Ty

Posts: 2928 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well SCI was time well spent. Drove out the to the Sonoran Museum and found out it was a walking trail. It was 105deg so I passed.

Harry Lawson's Gun shop is open. You just need to look real close next to the plumber's building and you can see a miniature "open sign"

While I didn't find anything I needed to muy at Murphy's I wish I had a bunch of the stuff they had on their walls.

Coming from CO in the 70s this 100+ drains me. Heck almost to hot for the pool which is 90deg.

coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Sad news,

The International Wildlife Museum closes.

https://tucson.com/news/local/...b8-0ba93e117596.html

and I also understand that Lawson's gunsmithing closed its doors a while back too, bummer...

Posts: 2928 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard David Miller died.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://williamlarkinmoore.com/

1 1/2 hour drive, I have never been there.

Internet wise there on the top dealers.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggest you call first!

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I heard Rachel Wells has passed away in addition to David Miller. There is a nice David Miller .404 jeffery, a Dakota .375 h&h, and a Heym 470 double rifle for sale at Murphy's. The .404 and .375 have been set aside for a couple of months for an out of town customer who hasn't completed the transaction so they may go back on sale soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live one mile from Willam Larken Moore. If you want to see some fine firearms that's the place to go. They are nice people & let you look at & handle all of their guns. They are located right off the 101 & Bell Rd. in North Scottsdale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been in Willam Larken Moore several times. Very nice even knowing I had no money. I had my hands in my pockets like I had been taught and he handed me the double rifle I was looking at. "You may not be able to buy it today but you never know what tomorrow will bring."
Lawson was being run by Harry's son Randy.
I had three stocks made two years ago (March, '22) At that time Randy was talking retirement. His work was still 100% but he was ready.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote