THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Aaron Little 7x57 ultralight mauser
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aaron Little 7x57 ultralight mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,
I went to high school in Burk and Jr high in Wichita. Read in the paper that they are mixing piss water into the drinking water now. Yeah, no water for ducks.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
If you boys in Wichita and Iowa park would stop drinking water and taking baths I might could have shot more ducks this year. That lake is depressing.

Gives new meaning to "there must be something in the water".

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hi jack your thread. Keep up the nice work.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making that weight will not be easy. My fairly lean Swede based 7x57 barely does though there is a bit of weight in the quarter rib and Wisner bottom metal.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does a Mex action let you save a little more weight? Not just in the action, but in being able to have a slimmer barrel, stock and all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

The rear dovetail on the Sarco Dumoulin actions will accept a Talley ring. You could mill the front dovetail to the same dimension as the rear and save a bunch of time. Rather than do that, I had Talley shorten the rear base meant for a M98 Mauser to the same height as a front base meant for Weaver spacing. (I used the Weaver base for the front. The receiver is already drilled and tapped for bases.) They you can use Talley rings. Also, Sunny Hill makes rings to fit these dovetails. Cost is about $220 for the Sunny Hill rings but they cover the dovetails.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Does a Mex action let you save a little more weight? Not just in the action, but in being able to have a slimmer barrel, stock and all.
Yes, though it probably doesn't amount to a whole lot. Of course, you can shave some more weight off the receiver by rounding the receiver bottom between the recoil lug and magazine ala the Mauser Kurz. The Mexican does make up in a slim and trim sporter, though.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
It's going to be an "ultralight"??
You wrote:
"I'm not sure on overall weight yet, but I would like the rifle to be at 6.5lbs"

A new Kimber 84M Classic in 7mm-08 weighs 5.625 pounds.

You can get fast delivery and the price is $1,149.99

Gunbroker

Holy Crap! You need to start a exposing Weatherby as well, their ultra lightweight is 6.75#! This is a fraud being perpetuated on the shooting community!! Thank God for concerned citizens such as yourself! patriot

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Some guys just need to be ignored. They are jerks craving any sort of attention.

Thanks for the interesting post and photos.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lightweight 7x57 screams for the small ring G-33/40 Mauser to my mind! or a 1950ish Brno mod 21 or 22, same thing just less work to be done on the Brno. I recently made a switch barrel mod. 21 Brno with a 9.3x62 and a 7x57 and both were original Brno barrels, the 9.3x62 was a rebore. The stock was a chunk of real dark, almost black Russian walnut..It was light as a feather, lovely wood, and plumb cute..I intended to keep it for myself, but such was not the case as usual.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Making that weight will not be easy. My fairly lean Swede based 7x57 barely does though there is a bit of weight in the quarter rib and Wisner bottom metal.

I have one of Jim's Oberndorf style Yugo bottom metals. May be the same unit that is on your Swede. Wish I could find a couple more, as they are just lovely Been looking for a Wisner/PME drop box 404 Jeff unit. Probably none to be had.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Update?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
This project has taken a back seat to other paying customers projects. When time allows or it's picked up by someone I'll post more.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
That will be a super nice rifle for sure..

BTW, nothing I dislike more than a too light rifle..when you run to the top of a hill or mountain, all out of air and have to take a quick off hand running shot, that light rifle will bounce all over hell and back. just a little extra weight in the barrel settles it down pronto. I like forward weight in a rifle be it a featherweight or standard weight..I do not want it to balance at the forend screw. I shoot off hand too much for that.

I agree, also shoot offhand a lot, I am quite happy with 8-8.5 pounds and a good bit of muzzle weight with a 24 in. barrel. Let someone else brag about having the lightest rifle around.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote