THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Aaron Little 7x57 ultralight mauser
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aaron Little 7x57 ultralight mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
I had a little lull in projects yesterday so I figured I would contour a barrel for a 7x57 I'll be building for inventory.

Im wanting this to be a light rifle styled after English stalking rifles.

I also made a tool for turning the radius near the barrel shank, worked pretty well. No chattering! Im undecided if I will be stepping down the shank area a little. the rear sight base, front sight base, and swivel base will be made from scratch as I don't think they make them small enough for what I'm wanting.

The action is one I picked up from Sarco, there will be a lot of cleaning up to do. The blank is a piece of Turkish walnut with no drama.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Shank is 1.2", then it radiuses down to. 800". It then steps down to .750" where the sight base will go. Again it steps down to .700" where it tapers down to. 560" mid barrel. The rest of the barrel is .560"

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
That's going to be a nice barrel. What barrel blank did you use?

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Adam, the barrel is a Shilen.

I'm not sure on overall weight yet, but I would like the rifle to be at 6.5lbs no scope. Should be obtainable.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what will you be doing to the action?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Still thinking on it. Im not a fan of the dovetails in the square bridge, but what can a guy do. They are too deep to be removed by milling/surface grinding.

It will be getting a new bolt handle and filed/stoned/polished on every surface. The trigger will also be shaped as will the bottom metal.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
You could always TIG the grooves and just make bridges of them then use Talley bases. Mine will also be a 7x57 and the bolt handle will be a McFarland 2 panel checkered. Barrel is a Kreiger 8.5 twist CM. Stock will be a customized Boyd Laminate.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's going to be an "ultralight"??
You wrote:
"I'm not sure on overall weight yet, but I would like the rifle to be at 6.5lbs"

A new Kimber 84M Classic in 7mm-08 weighs 5.625 pounds.

You can get fast delivery and the price is $1,149.99

Gunbroker

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Kimber is a nice piece. It also doesn't have iron sights or scope mounts. Add to the fact short action, lighter walnut(most likely), shorter barrel, etc... As you are aware website claims and actual weight can differ as reviews show.

We'll see what mine comes out at...probably under the 6.5lbs I listed even with the real dense Turkish walnut I have set aside. I could cut the barrel from 26" to 22" and do lightening cuts. You buying?

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already have one. Cool

I weighed our Kimber 84M 7-08 with it's 2-7 Leu in factory mounts and it's only 6 pounds, eleven ounces total!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
Already have one. Cool

I weighed our Kimber 84M 7-08 with it's 2-7 Leu in factory mounts and it's only 6 pounds, eleven ounces total!

I'm not sure it looks quite the same as Aaron's work. A nice rifle, to be sure, but a bespoke rifle is an altogether different category than a nice enough above average factory rifle.

Excellent and perfect are two different things. Smiler

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well i certainly like the type of rifle you are building. A lightweight 7x57 on a mauser 98 action.
22 inch barrel sounds right to me. Please continue to post. If it is finished at a time i have some money, i would love to have it...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's going to be an "ultralight"??
You wrote:
"I'm not sure on overall weight yet, but I would like the rifle to be at 6.5lbs"

A new Kimber 84M Classic in 7mm-08 weighs 5.625 pounds.

You can get fast delivery and the price is $1,149.99

Gunbroker

I don't know (or care) what you do or did for a living but I'm pretty sure if someone went around giving your boss or potential customers unsolicited information on how they could get your services "better" and "cheaper" elsewhere, you wouldn't like it. My guess is that you've never been in business.

Aaron's prices are very low for the quality that he produces- for you to suggest that a mass-produced factory gun is somehow superior because it's lighter is strong evidence that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My comments center on the original title of this topic.

Calling a 'custom' rifle "Ultralight" and then finding that it's not as light as a factory rifle is why!

Show us some pictures of Aaron Little's work and prices please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Calling a 'custom' rifle "Ultralight" and then finding that it's not as light as a factory rifle is why!

Don't understand your thought process or lack there of???

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The title is ultralight mauser. Besides being poor form, comparing the weight of an iron-sighted large ring Mauser to that of an 84M is apples and oranges. I like Kimbers and they have a place, but they're not one-off customs.

As for price and photos, there's a search function here- I have three kids who need their hands held, I'm not here to hold yours.

Aaron, thanks for keeping us updated on your rifles- we're all glad to have you among the other gunmakers here who are willing to post photos of their work.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"When the debate is lost insults become the tool of the loser"
Socrates

Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, keep it posting. I appreciate good work.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Savage, why don't you start an "Aaron Little is a dumbarse" thread elsewhere.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
If you follow sabage99's post, you will see this is his trait. Rest of us understand that. Keep up the interesting builds and photos.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber SuperAmerica in 270 Whizbang. Nice,accurate rifle BUT not even in the league, discussion or mindset of Aaron's work.
Nice work Mr. Little! Looking foreword to the finished work. I'd be calling you if I had not already hired LaPour to do this for me on a 36 Mex.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My buddy bought one a those Kimbers in 30-06. wouldn't feed rn bullets even after making the trip back to Kimber. He ate the restocking fee from the dealer.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Just leave LOP unfinished and the recoil pad unmounted until you have a buyer. I don't know many rifles I've passed up because the LOP was short. Mine is 15".

On second thought, go ahead and make it 13 5/8" so I won't be tempted to buy it.

Can't wait to see the end result!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Just leave LOP unfinished and the recoil pad unmounted until you have a buyer. I don't know many rifles I've passed up because the LOP was short

This. And I'd be an interested buyer at 13 3/4" LOP or longer.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
That will be a super nice rifle for sure..

BTW, nothing I dislike more than a too light rifle..when you run to the top of a hill or mountain, all out of air and have to take a quick off hand running shot, that light rifle will bounce all over hell and back. just a little extra weight in the barrel settles it down pronto. I like forward weight in a rifle be it a featherweight or standard weight..I do not want it to balance at the forend screw. I shoot off hand too much for that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing how the rifle turns out. Sounds like a design for a near ideal carrying rifle.

As for Mr. 99 the best advice is "Don't get in an argument with an idiot. He'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep the posts coming Sir. I sure do enjoy watching your builds!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is Bespoke's website:

Bespoke Gunmakers

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I dont have a website yet, still working on it. Nor do I have anything to do with that.Funny how the address is wrong. What is your beef with me? Hard to understand seeing as how I havent ever done business with you nor corresponded in any way other than here...in this thread.

Back to gun work. Let me know what else you find on your browsing crusade.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is going on with AR? Too many people getting cranky when we are talking about a fun hobby (for most of us) and are lucky enough to have participation from people in the industry.

Aaron, not trying to disrupt your thread - thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing the finished rifle.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Keep the pictures coming and don't pay any attention to the troll. You're doing fine work. We are looking forward to seeing the finished rifle.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
offtopic

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, Remembered seeing road sign Newark. Now since locating the town, hopefully I will be able to stop by sometime. I live here 10 miles west of Wichita Falls.
Every time I see your work, I have to wipe the corners of my mouth!
Good luck always.

Don

One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
Savage_99 is an asswipe wherever he posts.

Aaron your projects are looking great!

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Thats a familiar name.

I've done a lot of duck hunting around Wichita Falls. Well...I used to. Frowner
You're welcome to visit.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mulerider777:
Aaron, Remembered seeing road sign Newark. Now since locating the town, hopefully I will be able to stop by sometime. I live here 10 miles west of Wichita Falls.
Every time I see your work, I have to wipe the corners of my mouth!
Good luck always.

Don

Don,
Are you from the Iowa Park area?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
The continual "pot shots" that get taken on the various forums get old pretty fast. And my list of people to ignore continues to grow.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like the pot shots at Aaron. He is currently building me a 404, and if you all keep complimenting him and telling how great his work is, I am worried the prices are going to go up on my current project or a future one...

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
Personally, I like the pot shots at Aaron. He is currently building me a 404, and if you all keep complimenting him and telling how great his work is, I am worried the prices are going to go up on my current project or a future one...

HAR! funny stuff.

The man does seem to be a troll magnet. I don't understand it.

Aaron, I really like how this one is starting out. IMO,a banded rear sight base would be the ticket. It would add a little weight but that would be fine if it was for me.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, How did you know? lol
Aaron, you could duck hunt up here again anytime------if you could find some water.
Will call sometime in the future.

Don