THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Octagon barrel with hooded banded front sight..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Octagon barrel with hooded banded front sight..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone had this done?

Smith recommendations?

I'm thinking a custom Win 70 or Dakota 10..

Doug

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Yes and no, I done this barrel with the band and ramp integral to the octagon barrel. Wasn't all that easy but easier that octagon barrel and making a sight to fit...me thinks!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I machined the barrel octogon with an intergral quarter rib, sling stud, and ramp front sight. Three position Ed Lapor safety installed, Mr. Wiebe welded and recessed the engraved Glimm three panel bolt handle. I also machined the custom scope bases and the 3x9x40 Leupold sets in Dave Talley quick detach scope rings. The reciever is a 1936 Mexican small ring Mauser I blueprinted. The bottom metal is from Ted Blackburn...also custom rear sight dovetailed into quarter rib. I forgot to add the Ted Blackburn steel trigger for this but its fitted also. Caliber is 338/284, stock finished...need to blue and checker.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really super nice work, you should be proud..I wonder why you didn't machine the ramp on after doing all that barrel work, but to each his own and it looks very nice the way you did it btw..

Caliber is different for sure, and I would have gone with a 9.3x62 or something on the 06 case if its a std action and I believe it is, but again those are personal choices...Its going to be an awesome rifle and of that there is no doubt.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Really super nice work, you should be proud..I wonder why you didn't machine the ramp on after doing all that barrel work, but to each his own and it looks very nice the way you did it btw..

Ray, I believe the banded front sight is integral to the barrel.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work indeed. Far more talent with ones hands than I could aspire to. I wonder what it would have looked like if rather than the banded sight being rounded on the exterior it was machined to match the flats of the barrel if that question makes any sense? In other words, have the band on the banded sight octagonal too, matching the barrel. Like I said, looks very nice as it is though.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
MJines at one point in the machining process I machined it octagon, but decided A contrast to the tapered octagon barrel would stand out...it does. Found this MJ.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Someone on this forum did make a front sight for an octagon barrel but I don't remember if it was banded or not?

one of us
posted Hide Post
J Brown,
Apparantly it is, that one got by me..Thats talent!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Classic and beautifully machined.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Doug (NYRifleman) Hope this helps!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Wonderful work, and yes it helped greatly thanks.

I'm actually somewhat surprised fitting a band to an octagon barrel is such a chore.

I was thinking a bit of fine line gold engraving on the band would be visually pleasing.

Doug

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
MJines at one point in the machining process I machined it octagon, but decided A contrast to the tapered octagon barrel would stand out...it does. Found this MJ.

You are absolutely correct, the round looks better. Good call!

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - It is a great looking and extremely well made rifle - nice when it pops up on my screensaver slideshow - James

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks James, nice that you enjoy it and to the others thank you for the kind words. Thought I'd sneak a picture with the stock...sorry it's somewhat off topic, but hey the sight is somewhat noticeable. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad that you posted the rifle with the stock - the other side looks great too.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Found picture of other side...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Stock, Action and Barrel combination!

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
No more replies on front sight so.
Want to thank Jim Bisio for having the English Walnut blank and for doing the duplication for it. This is a small ring Mexican Mauser and I believe he said this was a Jerry Fisher design stock. I liked it but modified it for the pancake cheek piece and added a few more of my own touches. Adam Freeman started using Teak oil finish just about the time I started on this project also. I used true oil a lot in the past but I think I'm sold on this finish now, easy to use and just all around better look.
Not sure what this rifle weighs but its balances and handling is as nice as any I've held. I built this one up for myself and just need to blue it and checker it to call it finished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a customer ask for a banded front sight on an octagon barrel before but I have put banded front sights on 1/2 oct 1/2 round barrels. Usually they have an integral quarter rib that runs back to the receiver.

We be possible as srtrax showed with his fine piece of machining. Either round or oct.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you may have seen mine a couple years ago. I don't have my photos on this computer, but will post them tomorrow.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the rifle that I made the octagon front banded sight for:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...171009141#1171009141

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Butch, I remember that now and it was banded...right? The island rear sight worked well with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
The picture is the last one on the link that I posted above.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made the octagon front banded sight

Sorry Butch, I read that 5 times before it ran over me...Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the photo of mine before I installed it.

The next photo is installed before stippling.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice!