Find
Notify
Tools

My 404 is ready
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Some of you were with me at DSC when I bought a piece of wood. With a little help from forrestb and a riflemaker named Duane Wiebe, I'm about to take delivery of my 404 Jeffery.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wink,

Love it...congrats to you and Duane.

When you have a chance give us a few details on the rifle specs.

Great to see another 404 Jeffery, fantasic chambering!

Best,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 20158 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The spec sheet is pretty darn basic: Mauser Argentine 1909 action, Kreiger barrel, barrel banded front sight is a post, barrel banded rear sight is a square cut (like on a pistol), claw mounts (barrel banded front claw mount since I wanted to leave the front ring crest visible) with a Leupold 1.5-5 with German N° 1 reticle scope. The grip tangs are of course a little unusual on a basic rifle. I didn't pick a super figured piece of wood, opting for a strong and dense piece since it's a 404. In other words, I chose function over form in most of my decisions. Doesn't mean it can't look good of course.

I intend to hunt in Africa with this rifle. I have never been on a dangerous game hunt, shooting everything so far with my .375 H&H. In fact, I have delayed my first buffalo hunt to be able to do it with this rifle. At least, that's the plan.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations....Beautiful rifle!

Where did you get the walnut?

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Has Duane weighed this beauty yet?

Always nice when a plan starts to come together. Funny, I delayed my last hunt a couple of years until I got my 404 done.

Of course would love to know about your plans and options as you move forward.

Hope you can make Dallas this year. I was talking with Forrest and would love to see you guys.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:
Congratulations....Beautiful rifle!

Where did you get the walnut?

Best,
Dave

David, the actual purchase was done at the Dallas Safari Club convention a couple of years ago. I think I had been sampling different kinds of scotch while others were talking knowingly all about stocks, and then all of sudden I owned one! Was it Luxus gunstocks? That's what I remember. I also remember that they were great to deal with. I didn't expect the fiddleback at all, since it was hardly apparent when I bought the blank.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow that is a beautiful and functional piece of the gunmaker's art! I like the fact you passed on the fore end tip... very classy rifle!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very functional! The kind of rifle that a real hunter would have. Excellent, IMHO.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
Wink,

Has Duane weighed this beauty yet?

Always nice when a plan starts to come together. Funny, I delayed my last hunt a couple of years until I got my 404 done.

Of course would love to know about your plans and options as you move forward.

Hope you can make Dallas this year. I was talking with Forrest and would love to see you guys.

Duane tells me it weighs 8 pounds 14 ounces without the scope. When Duane asked what type of rifle I wanted, I said "trim". Should be easy to carry and easy to point. With a near 375 H&H level of recoil, I see no downside. 14 1/4 inch length of pull IIRC. Heck, I may decide that the 404 replaces the 375 as the ideal Africa caliber, now that I own this rifle of course.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle in an excellent chambering! There is nothing about this rifle not to like! It is just a shame all that effort was wasted on a '09.... Seriously though, that is one fine rifle and I hope my two '09 projects can come out half that nice!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I haven't yet seen the rifle in person, so you are all seeing as much as I am. But as I examine the photos there are several things I really like: check out the break in the checkering on the wrist where the floorplate is screwed in, also, take a look at the junction of the receiver front ring and the barrel band front claw mount. This is pure Duane Wiebe. I can only conclude that if you pick Duane to do build your rifle, just give him the broad goals and let him make it.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very nice, great chambering, etc !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I had been sampling different kinds of scotch while others were talking knowingly all about stocks, and then all of sudden I owned one! Was it Luxus gunstocks?

Thats funny...Nice looking rifle. I didnt even notice the missing forend tip until it was mentioned. A 404 on an Argie, good for you!

Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Great action and a beautiful rifle. I know you and Duane are both proud of that one.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations - Thats as good as a working rifle gets and a perfect caliber for buff. (try A-Frames)

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can mine be far behind?

Posts: 20158 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I can only conclude that if you pick Duane to do build your rifle, just give him the broad goals and let him make it.

The man appears to have superb taste. Your rifle is an absolute stunner.

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle. Congratulations on a real beauty.

Mike

Posts: 21669 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:

David, the actual purchase was done at the Dallas Safari Club convention a couple of years ago. I think I had been sampling different kinds of scotch while others were talking knowingly all about stocks, and then all of sudden I owned one! Was it Luxus gunstocks? That's what I remember. I also remember that they were great to deal with. I didn't expect the fiddleback at all, since it was hardly apparent when I bought the blank.

It was definitely Luxus. I guess I didn't have enough Scotch as I remember the day well. Adam and Clay had Adam's truck loaded down with blanks and (along with a couple of other AR guys) we spent at least an hour going through them. This blank was the sleeper of the bunch...and it looks even better than we imagined at the time. I remember thinking this blank was worth a lot more than the asking price and now I think it was easily worth twice the asking price. It's a beauty.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Congratulations on your rifle it looks like a real "tool"......very classy. I was also there on the wood hunt and I remember thinking at the time - if you don't buy that blank then I was.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I picture when I think of a fine big bore stock! Knowing those who helped with the selection, I am not surprized at all. Great stick, great craftsmanship, just a fine gun in all aspects. Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

It was definitely Luxus. I guess I didn't have enough Scotch as I remember the day well. Adam and Clay had Adam's truck loaded down with blanks and (along with a couple of other AR guys) we spent at least an hour going through them. This blank was the sleeper of the bunch...and it looks even better than we imagined at the time. I remember thinking this blank was worth a lot more than the asking price and now I think it was easily worth twice the asking price. It's a beauty.

There's even more to the story. The blank was a very big piece of wood, big enough for two stocks and two stocks had been outlined into the blank. One half looked interesting, the other half just ho-hum. This is the ho-hum half of the blank. Since the gentlemen from Luxus (and they are very good guys) were selling it to me for what was less than most of the other single stock blanks I figured I would take the plunge. Haven't figured what to build around the other half yet. Any ideas out there, before Duane decides to expropriate the remaining half?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
first off congrats to all involved, what a beautiful rifle. How about a 7x57 built up to be a slightly scaled down version of the 404, now that would be a great, classic pair!

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Haven't figured what to build around the other half yet. Any ideas out there...

Wink, you must have really had a lot of Scotch if you're forgetting you agreed that the "other half" was to be my consulting fee. Smiler

I wish I could see your 404 next to mine. They are very similar but there are some definite differences. This rifle is the perfect balance between artistic design and "all-business" attitude...I can't wait to read your hunt report next.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...Haven't figured what to build around the other half yet. Any ideas out there...

Wink, you must have really had a lot of Scotch if you're forgetting you agreed that the "other half" was to be my consulting fee. Smiler

I wish I could see your 404 next to mine. They are very similar but there are some definite differences. This rifle is the perfect balance between artistic design and "all-business" attitude...I can't wait to read your hunt report next.

This could get delicate, first Duane asked me for the other half, now you. And this whole thing wouldn't have happened without your help, so I'm going to have to learn live with a really heavy moral dilemma. Fortunately, this forum has helped me a lot in learning to live with moral dilemmas. My wife still doesn't know I did this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This could get delicate, first Duane asked me for the other half, now you. And this whole thing wouldn't have happened without your help, so I'm going to have to learn live with a really heavy moral dilemma. Fortunately, this forum has helped me a lot in learning to live with moral dilemmas. My wife still doesn't know I did this.

Wink, you have my complete and full support.

Sounds like the blank is yours since no written agreement has been produced and Forrest is just attempting to take advantage of you while you were under the influence...not sure what Duane's motives are but...

You may want to open a US bank account keep certain transactions "confidential". Have Duane and Forrest executed non-disclosure agreements...no need for loose lips stuff...

I had a situation come up where I ("unfortunately" and "unknowingly") filled out two custom gun orders at once..at least that's my story.

If there is any way I can be of help, please let me know. dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Nice rifle! You have to watch out for them Texans. Forrest just needs another pair of 270 rifles, by Duane.

You will really like the 404.

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok well why not...
Wink, you should recall that it was me who sold you the blank and as per our agreement you were to send the unused portion back to me!

That makes three of us who are speaking up....just how many others have you made deals with while under the influence?
Sounds like a Bill Clinton situation transpiring here!

Big Grin

Seriously though, nice rifle you got there.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Forrest-----I think I was one of the ones who went outside that day to go through the blanks with you in Adams truck. If I remember it was COLD!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wink,
Nice rifle you got yourself.
But one detail would drive any gunsmith, this side of the pond, completely nuts, the slot of the screw on the triggerguard in not in line. Not meant as a critic, but can it still be corrected ?

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby van der Putten:
Hi Wink,
Nice rifle you got yourself.
But one detail would drive any gunsmith, this side of the pond, completely nuts, the slot of the screw on the triggerguard in not in line. Not meant as a critic, but can it still be corrected ?

Holy crap, this comes up again? Duane purposely leaves the screws like that so that as they are tightened over time they do not go past 12 o'clock. H&H, Purdey, WR, etc. do it the same way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink / Duane,

Great rifle! Very well done on all fronts.

Duane, are you planning on "accuracy testing" this rifle on Friday?

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think Duane just forgot this time...lmao

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
quote:

I think Duane just forgot this time...lmao

You will see that the screw in question is timed just short of true and I know my GS did this on both of my 98 builds as he said that as the action 'settles in' to the stock after 20-30 rounds the timing will come right. If Duane has not done the test firing yet then the timing may noit be finalised at the time the pic was taken.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous, heart stopping, stomach churning.....

I want one just like that! CRYBABY

Thanks for sharing and good luck with all the hunts that rifle i going to give you.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11190 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Now that is very nice but a warning to all, Scotch is a demon drink and this is entirely the result of imbibing too much. Just enjoying a nice Glenfiddich myself right now as I drool over your photos. Well done Wink, nice Mauser in a grand old cartridge. tu2

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Wink, You've certainly sorted a beautiful Buff rifle. tu2
Where are you chasing the Buff?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Can youm please post lots & lots of photos of this rifle. I just want to archive it in my own database for future reference when i start my 404 jeffery project (after I finish my 9.5X57 mannlicher schoenauer restock.)

I really like those classic lines.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11190 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink, if you were building the same rifle and intended that a scope would never be mounted, what would you do differently?

If you told Duane that your rifle was to be iron sights only and offered no input beyond that statement, what do you guess that he would do?

and yes I'm trying to go to school on your most excellent rifle.

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote