Tools

My 404 is ready
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramsgate:
Wink, if you were building the same rifle and intended that a scope would never be mounted, what would you do differently?

If you told Duane that your rifle was to be iron sights only and offered no input beyond that statement, what do you guess that he would do?

and yes I'm trying to go to school on your most excellent rifle.

If I had intended "no-scope" I would be pretty sure that Duane would want to know exactly what iron sights I wanted. My personal preference would be for a peep sight/ghost ring set-up, rather than the standard express sights with front sight bead and rear v-notch, but that's because I shoot better with the ghost ring sight (old eyes).

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It will be awhile before I can post some sharp photos of the rifle, but I did borrow my brother's little pocket camera today, just to give a better idea of the color of the wood. Duane's photos have a little bit of yellow cast, which doesn't give an accurate color balance. These are a little better:

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

Nice piece Wink. Was there a reason to choose to mount the front base on a ring as opposed to on the receiver itself??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I had two reasons: 1) I wanted the crest on the front ring to be visible, but 2) more importantly, should I ever want to mount another longer scope, a front ring mount would limit the possibilities to either short scopes or the eye-piece being too far back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, very nice! I love the mag treatment, and of course the red pad!

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Shooting in" came up. I had only 10 rounds and probably would have used them all up, but Wink asked if I had a few left over, he'd like to touch some off before heading home

I therefore stopped at 5 rounds, got the scope close, but Wink and I agreed to let him file down the front sight to his eyesight.

Very pleasant to shoot!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the tang-over-comb...the sign of a rifle of distinction.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

quote:
David, the actual purchase was done at the Dallas Safari Club convention a couple of years ago. I think I had been sampling different kinds of scotch while others were talking knowingly all about stocks, and then all of sudden I owned one! Was it Luxus gunstocks? That's what I remember. I also remember that they were great to deal with. I didn't expect the fiddleback at all, since it was hardly apparent when I bought the blank.

jumping

Reminds me of the "Reno Accounting" thread from a few years back!

Wonderful rifle!

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
Outstanding rifle,great workmanship...
However,I have a question about that front ring over the "Gold Ring", Leupold says not to mount that far out,that there is a lens under the Gold Ring and recoil will shake it loose? Anyone heard that?
Nice rifle and great caliber!

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .404:
Outstanding rifle,great workmanship...
However,I have a question about that front ring over the "Gold Ring", Leupold says not to mount that far out,that there is a lens under the Gold Ring and recoil will shake it loose? Anyone heard that?
Nice rifle and great caliber!

You talked to Leupold?? really...get that person's name That person is a complete idiot...the tech(real) dept will tell you...and you can simply measure it...the lens is set back about an inch fronm the front of the scope.

Sorry if I sound a bit chagrined..this has come up so damn many times and it's all bad..wrong..inaccurate..foolish information.

I truly think we need an anatomy class on scope structure here on AR!!!

My book entitled "Bullshit in the Gun Business" can only be delivered by Peterbilt 18 Wheeler

Talk to the tech dept...they will tell you that the mounting ring location I used is even better than the "normal" location which indeed DOES place the ring almost direcrly over the lens

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
No, I have not talked to Leupold today,however about 5 years ago I sent in a 1.5-5X for cleaning,recieved it back with a small drawing in the box,showing where not to mount rings? the gold ring!
If I can find the box after my recent move,I'll dig it out and scan it.
No disrespect meant,just stating what I have seen,not heard...

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
There's no reason to find the box or the drawing...just take a look at your scope. Is there a lens directly under the gold ring? Of course, the answer is no.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can see that there is glass near/forward of the gold ring,[there is also more glass very close behind that front lens], putting them directly under the scope ring.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Trax,the catalogue illustration is photoshopped to show a lens. Take a look at an actual scope and you'll see the lens is well to the rear of the gold ring.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeh, its different again in this photo,...

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
Well,if Duane says it good to go,I'm Ok with it.I like the set up and could use the little extra spacing on a couple of rifles...

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Trax, just get a real life scope and look at it. I pulled one out of my safe and measured it.... the lens is about .8" to the rear of the front edge of the scope. This puts the lens at .2" behind the gold ring.

I don't know what else to say.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Forrest, thats showing how to get to the point...But I dont understand why you would mount the rifle up side down? ;}

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
Possible hunt coming up "down under"..LOL

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle. Congratulations.

I was wondering how long it was before someone mentioned the 'forward' front ring mount. I have the front ring on my 1-4x20 mounted over the lens without problems. If the ring position is so critical, I'd be looking for a different scope.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
Wink,

Has Duane weighed this beauty yet?

Well, it only took me a year to weigh the rifle. Of course it took about 2 and a half years to make the thing.

So, rifle empty no scope 4.1 kg (or approx. 9 pounds).

Rifle empty with scope (Leupold 1.5-5 X 20mm) in claw mounts attached 4.35 kg (or approx. 9 pounds 9.44 oz.).

It has now been to Tanzania and taken its first buffalo. I'm now working on a plan to take it to Burkina Faso in January for a Western Buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What a beauty! Congratulations,sir!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!! Congrats to the owner and maker. MMP

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle; congrats!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the lines of this rifle as it looks handy. Forrest,and Al Lind helped me pick out my first wood blank from Luxus, hey it was fun. Don't mind what others say about the scope mounts....if there is one person to listen to it's Duane. Cheers, and enjoy your rifle.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has now been to Tanzania and taken its first buffalo. I'm now working on a plan to take it to Burkina Faso in January for a Western Buffalo.

Did you post a report or did I miss it?

How did the 404 perform on the buffalo?

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

I did post a report:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/9431057771

The rifle performed very well for me. I loaded it with Barnes 400 grains Triple Shocks with 79 grains of VihtaVuori N550 in Norma brass for around 2,250 fps.

The first shot on the buffalo was from his left rear quarter, as he walked away from me on a ridge about 50 feet higher than I. He ran about fifty yards and stopped, looking back to see if we were following. He was in a herd and the herd had scattered by then of course. He obviously wasn't in any condition to keep up with the herd. We climbed up the ridge, not knowing where the buff was, only to find him standing broadside and looking back. I shot again and he fell, dead. It may be that the first shot was enough, but when they're not yet down you hit 'em again. Third shot was the insurance shot from behind and near the spine at about 2 yards. The Barnes Triple shocks were recovered and were the classic marketing perfect mushrooms, except for one which had the three of the four petals sheared off, probably the insurance shot through the spine. The bullets did not leave the animal: two were on the offside just under the skin. The 404 Jeffery with these bullets does not pass clean through, which is nice when shooting buffalo in a herd since you lower the risk of wounding another buff you don't see behind it. From my vast experience of one buffalo I conclude it is a great buffalo caliber.

The baboon (25 meters), the Lichtenstein Hartebeest (160 meters), the zebra (180 meters) and the impala (120 meters) were all one shot kills and the bullets went through the animals and were not recovered. The distances given were the PH's estimates, we didn't have a rangefinder. Off sticks, I shoot this rifle more accurately than any of my other rifles. Probably because it fits me well and I love shooting it. Except for the zebra which ran a few yards before dying, the other one shot kills were bang-flops. They didn't even take one step. This was a first for me. On all previous safaris using a .375 H&H the animals almost always ran a few yards before expiring. Triple Shocks in a .423 caliber bullet are very effective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the selection of action and calibre. Turned out well. Glad to see it's getting some range time.

Duane...are the scope bases soft soldered into position or fixed into place by some other method. Very nice job my friend.

Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wink: I musta been hiding behind the door...just ran across the hunting photos. I really love to see my work out doing what it is supposed to do. Let's see...I believe there was a question from the screw indexing police!

No...did not forget...that's the way I deliver my rifles. Guard screws threads do wear and wood can settle in. much better to be a bit shy of index (which can be timed) than over the top (which can never be fixed)

Scope bases: rear is, of course, fitted to the welded on square bridge. The front is a band that is locked in place by a screw underneath and is also soldered....(Loc Tite would work just fine)

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane Wiebe: My book entitled "Bullshit in the Gun Business" can only be delivered by Peterbilt 18 Wheeler
I wear hip waders and carry a shovel when I attend gun shows.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did post a report:

The rifle performed very well for me. I loaded it with Barnes 400 grains Triple Shocks with 79 grains of VihtaVuori N550 in Norma brass for around 2,250 fps.

The first shot on the buffalo was from his left rear quarter, as he walked away from me on a ridge about 50 feet higher than I. He ran about fifty yards and stopped, looking back to see if we were following. He was in a herd and the herd had scattered by then of course. He obviously wasn't in any condition to keep up with the herd. We climbed up the ridge, not knowing where the buff was, only to find him standing broadside and looking back. I shot again and he fell, dead. It may be that the first shot was enough, but when they're not yet down you hit 'em again. Third shot was the insurance shot from behind and near the spine at about 2 yards. The Barnes Triple shocks were recovered and were the classic marketing perfect mushrooms, except for one which had the three of the four petals sheared off, probably the insurance shot through the spine. The bullets did not leave the animal: two were on the offside just under the skin. The 404 Jeffery with these bullets does not pass clean through, which is nice when shooting buffalo in a herd since you lower the risk of wounding another buff you don't see behind it. From my vast experience of one buffalo I conclude it is a great buffalo caliber.

The baboon (25 meters), the Lichtenstein Hartebeest (160 meters), the zebra (180 meters) and the impala (120 meters) were all one shot kills and the bullets went through the animals and were not recovered. The distances given were the PH's estimates, we didn't have a rangefinder. Off sticks, I shoot this rifle more accurately than any of my other rifles. Probably because it fits me well and I love shooting it. Except for the zebra which ran a few yards before dying, the other one shot kills were bang-flops. They didn't even take one step. This was a first for me. On all previous safaris using a .375 H&H the animals almost always ran a few yards before expiring. Triple Shocks in a .423 caliber bullet are very effective.

Hi Wink,

Glad to see that you had a great trip and your rifle performed as expected.

I really think the 404 Jeffery is a great round for many reasons...glad to see several AR members are bringing it back....and using it for its intended purpose.

I been loading mine to nominal 2400 fps with the North Fork Softs and new designed solids....we went to Zim back in July and took a couple of Tuskless Elephants and other game with the 404 and it just works..

Hope you can make it to Dallas in Jan. 2013...

Best,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did post a report:

Thanks Wink just caught up on your report. Like the photos and especially like those 'through the shoulder' shots on a couple of the animals pictured, no wonder they dropped with one shot. Not that I have any particular issue with those wanting to ramp up the velocity in their 404s but nice to see you settled on a load that more or less duplicates the early revised load for the 404 and showed that they still easily do the job as designed. I can see why at that velocity level your 404 is such a sweet shooter and you do well with it. I have some factory Parker Hale (Norma) solid rounds for my 404 at 2245fps and original Kynoch soft nose at 2225fps.

Damn nice 404 and hunt report.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After seeing Wink's 404 again, thought you guys might enjoy seeing a very similar style rifle in 375 H&H. This was based on a 1935 Chilean…again with welded-on square bridge. The barrel work is part integral and part banded. Quarter rib is integral and at the same time I milled in a barrel recoil lug. I only use Kreiger barrels for integral work...never a warping problem!

Some damn fool had surface ground the action, so markings were no more. Owner suggested matting the ring ala some of the older UK rifles..I did this and was very pleased with the appearance.

The stock is a very tough piece of English with liberal Alkenet Root treatment. OK...for the "ring placement police"…the front ring is WAY ahead of the objective lens...look at a Swarvoski in person if you don't believe me. And, yes, the guard screws are a little short of index.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK...for the "ring placement police"…

rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
After seeing Wink's 404 again, thought you guys might enjoy seeing a very similar style rifle in 375 H&H. This was based on a 1935 Chilean…again with welded-on square bridge. The barrel work is part integral and part banded. Quarter rib is integral and at the same time I milled in a barrel recoil lug. I only use Kreiger barrels for integral work...never a warping problem!

Some damn fool had surface ground the action, so markings were no more. Owner suggested matting the ring ala some of the older UK rifles..I did this and was very pleased with the appearance.

The stock is a very tough piece of English with liberal Alkenet Root treatment. OK...for the "ring placement police"…the front ring is WAY ahead of the objective lens...look at a Swarvoski in person if you don't believe me. And, yes, the guard screws are a little short of index.

Duane,

I am glad to see that you are now including a nice Wiebe shirt with a custom gun order.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Another lovely rifle, with great claw mounts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
Duane,

I am glad to see that you are now including a nice Wiebe shirt with a custom gun order.

Nope, just a pile of dirty laundry with each delivery.