Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 338 Lapua on a 700
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Anyone see that David Tubb is building new 700 bolts with a 338 Lapua bolt face. They assure me there is enough steel in the "3 rings of steel" to take the pressure.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington built a few on the 700 action, but I think they stopped. I don't think there's enough meat there personally. A bit of work to get it to feed also. Stiller makes an action for the 338 Lapua thats just a bit bigger than the 1.350 diameter of the Remington and has a .750 or maybe .800 bolt diameter. I'd feel a little better with something like that.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The Tubbs bolts are almost $400, if you add that to the

Remington action $350 what I paid
Shilen trigger $100
Barrel job Hart $750
Cerrakote $300
AI stock $800

It ends up being darn near a Sako TRG.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I'd feel a lot better about putting the Sako in front of my face and pulling the trigger. I'd save the Remington for another build, maybe a good varmint rifle or something.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Kiff makes the bolts, but I wouldn't do it on a 700. I would on a Stiller receiver, but I have absolutely no use for that type of rifle.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that it seems to matter here, but the .338 Lapua will flat out beat you to death, and burns out barrels very quickly.

God sniping. Not a hunting round, IMO. Your dime though, of course.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have the Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua; very accurate, and there is no recoil. Of course it weighs 12 pounds and has a brake like a T54 tank.

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
Not that it seems to matter here, but the .338 Lapua will flat out beat you to death, and burns out barrels very quickly.

We find that the Lapua works very well in a heavy rifle. In the family we are on the 3rd 338 Lapua TRG-S. But the damn things are hard to find. A TRG-42 would be wonderful, but finding one used is very hard, and spending $3500 for one isn't something I can do right now.

I talked to Dan Lilja and Jack Sutton at Hart and was told by both of them it wasn't worth the drama. So plan B is to buy a proper Lapua action later on.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
There are a number of top "smiths" that can and do build 338 Lapuas on the Rem 700 Action. Mine was built by Shawn Carlock at Defensize Edge. I wanted to load the 300 SMK to a COAL lenght of 3.9" and it is much easier to do this on a Rem 700 action than on a custom action.

And it shoots great too

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Im drooling right now over that 338...Maybe I should just transform my Rem. 700 Sendero into a 338 Lapua.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you figure that jwp?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This combination is becoming known for setting back the bolt lugs into the receiver.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not build a 338 RUM.
it has a maximum case capacity (111 grs water) as .338 Lapua ( 108 grs )
and can easily be built on a Remington 700 magnum action dancing

Be aware of the man with only "one" riffel

Posts: 51 | Location: denmark | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
How do you figure that jwp?
Butch

Because of the bolt stop. The bolt stop on the custom actions such as the Lawton and Surgen is machined into the body and must be machined away and then welded in a new location. The Rem 700's bolt stop is part of the trigger group and it is a simple matter to remove and grind a bit away and replace. Something that even I can do

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
This combination is becoming known for setting back the bolt lugs into the receiver.

Run the pressure high enough over a long enough time period and any of them will set the lugs back.

Useing 338 Lapua breass makes this easier to do, because the brass made by Lapua is 4000 BAR straonger than it has to be for the CIP pressure rating of 67,000 PSI

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with a Stiller TAC 338. It is especially designed for the 338 Lapua.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying that anything is wrong with any of the custom actions and I am not familliar with the Stiller TAC 338 action. I did talk to Mr. Lawton and Mr. Surgen as well as the Smith that did the, about this before I decided to go with the 700 action

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you build another, you may want to check it out.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi again
a remington 700 action er is just fine.....
I have built this remington 700 cal 300RUM
.....I knove it`s 338`s littel brother tihi

http://shopahlarsen.dk/product.asp?product=989

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email Jim Borden and ask him what he thinks of the idea of a Remington M 700 action chambered in .338 Lapua....

And a remington 700 cal 300RUM is not the same thing at all really -check the base diameter of the cases.

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen Surgeon actions with Seekins 3.9" magazines and that would be my preference.

Well, after an AWSM or an SRS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonewall:
Email Jim Borden and ask him what he thinks of the idea of a Remington M 700 action chambered in .338 Lapua....

And a remington 700 cal 300RUM is not the same thing at all really -check the base diameter of the cases.

Glenn

I know that they are not equal......
.338 Lapua can contain 108 grs water
.338 RUM can contain 111 grs water ( and it fits in a Rem 700 Magnum action) Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blow the Lap case to AI if you need to go faster. You aren't stuck with Remington brass.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I had a Lazzeroni 8.59 Galaxy built on a Rem 700 which has a case head of .580.

The Lapua is just slightly bigger at .588 and I can tell you there is just barely enough meat to handle the .580 case head.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the Lapua brass really that thick? It actually has less capacity than a RUM? With the Lapua having such a large base diameter and only a tad shorter than the RUM I would have thought its capacity much greater.

One of Us
Picture of Mark Baker
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 people in the last month want me to build .338 Lapua rifles. I kind of swayed them to the .338 Remington Ultra mag.

My reasons are:

Action availability
Action price
Stocks, ad-ons, rings and mounts,( price and quality available )
Less mods to the action
Brass price and availibility

And------- If you do the Ballistic math and overall workings, there is not a heck of a lot of difference.

Speed is a wash. Most people get the "Jones" for the Lapua because it is hyped in magazines or they hear that the military uses it, or some sniper shot in the sand box or the rock heap!

Just my take on the deal.

Mark

Posts: 51 | Location: N.W. Wisconsin | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Seems to me like the 338 Lapua has been replaced by the 338 RUM.

The 338 Lapua and 338 RUM are really so close in comparison it can only be measured by MM's. and the ease of converting a Remintong Mag. action ino the 338 RUM makes the choice a simple one...

It woudl be like paying twice as much to say you have a Lapua, rahter than having a Ultra Mag.

Why pay all that money to have a 338 Lapua, when you can have a 338 RUM that performs similar and has more kenetic potential in the long shot.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
If you want slightly more, the 338Edge is the way to go. It's the 338 built on the 300 Ultra magnum case, the big advantage is the standard magnum bolt face

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh, yes, Lapua brass is that thick. It's common for lapua brass the be thick when compared to competators others in any caliber. In addition, during the early design stages of the .338 Lapua they had troubles with case head seperations, this resulted in a heavier brass.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a 40X ti in .338 the other day. Factory Remington. No, you can't buy one. No, I would not shoot one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd also go with the "skinny" RUM case in the Rem 700. It seems like if you're looking at a 338 Lapua in the first place, you're not planning on running light loads.

I've always wondered where Lazzeroni got their case dimensions. Did they base all their rounds on the Lapua?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

bullocks ..

338 lapua aint that much overbore.. better than s 338/378 ... no, it won't burn out barrels "VERY" quickly, and
its a hll of a hunting round..

but i'd buy a savage 338 lapua before a rem

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:

It is the about the case capacity as the 338 RUM and much smaller than the 338-378 Wby.

posted Hide Post
I have a 338 Edge built on a 700 LA, 9.5lbs all up without bipod, 30" tube.
It is insanely accurate with H1000 & 300 SMK @ 2850, Cool it has about the same performance as the Lapua.
I also have a factory Rem 700P in 338 Lapua, these have the Badger 5 shot mag btm metal & a 24" barrel which is far too short but I bought it to re barrell it in 338 Lapua Improved.
It shoots the 300 SMK well @ 2700 with 1 grain less powder than my Edge.
The new 34" barrel is @ my smiths so hopefully I can start pushing the SMKs to 3000ish soon Big Grin
The Edge is mainly a hunting rifle & the Lapua will be another long range steel ringer. Smiler

Over kill is under rated

Posts: 4 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 November 2008Reply With Quote