THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    One piece bottom metal for Ruger 77 MkII?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One piece bottom metal for Ruger 77 MkII?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there such a thing? Source?

Thanks.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe you could custom rig one of Duane's bottom metals.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I’ve yet to find a source.

If you find a source let me know and I’ll buy 3 Long action and 2 short action sets.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I know a number of Alaskan guides and outfitters who have expressed interest in an extended magazine floorplate like Wesley Richards used for their 425 bolt rifles that would fit an additional 375 or 416 Ruger cartridge

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it seems that I may have to fabricate something. No sense in doing that if there is a production piece available. Thanks for the comments.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No one makes one. But they should....

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Be glad to make you some..minimum order of 30 parts, however..Half down. Rough guess $350.00 each

Posts: 3470 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Be glad to make you some..minimum order of 30 parts, however..Half down. Rough guess $350.00 each

Duane... they would, no doubt, be fine pieces of gear, but I only need one. If you decide to make some, I'm in line to buy one in standard length.

AT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK..soon as you find another 29 customers

Posts: 3470 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:

I need 3 standard action length but I'll hedge and commit to 5.

24 to go.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger made steel replacemnet units for the 77 but that was long ago, Blackburn made them as well in the mid 80's and gave up due to lagging sales.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darcy makes my point..I remember those..couldn't give them away! "One of a kind, cheap and immediate delivery". Hmmmmm

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What about a drop belly +1 round mag for the Ruger MkII? What would that cost?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1st one of the drop bellys would be about $20,000. the next 39 would run about $500 a unit

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
The 1st one of the drop bellys would be about $20,000. the next 39 would run about $500 a unit

Who wants to go first? Big Grin

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet there is some enterprising machine shop somewhere in the world that would make them for less - probably somewhere in southeast Asia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy is right..I get solicitations frequently from off shore. You think 30 piece minimum is out of line..these guys won't even consider less than 100-500 pieces

The higher the numbers, the cheaper each piece gets, but never goes to "zero"

Just not possible to get "One of a kind, cheap and fast"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
quote:

24 to go.

If this can be pulled off, with 30 orders, 50% deposit, I'll commit to the job!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is needed here is a risk taker. Someone who could commit to the whole order in exchange for a wholesale price. That way he/she makes a few bucks, and the manufacturer gets his/her money all at once.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
quote:

24 to go.

If this can be pulled off, with 30 orders, 50% deposit, I'll commit to the job!

Where’s Bitterroot???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very thankful there are guys out there who produce specialty parts for those of us that love custom guns. They do a great service for our hobby.

However, I'm certain Duane's thoughts are that every person who came along after the bottom metal was done would say the following:

"I'm gonna pass... because I wanted a drop floorplate version that held 6 down"

Or "I'm gonna pass... because I wanted a short action version".

Or even "I'm gonna pass... because I wanted one in stainless".

And finally the old "I'm gonna pass... because now that I have to actually pay for the darn thing, I don't really want one that bad".

Who knows, I could be wrong...

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K W Johnston:
I'm very thankful there are guys out there who produce specialty parts for those of us that love custom guns. They do a great service for our hobby.

However, I'm certain Duane's thoughts are that every person who came along after the bottom metal was done would say the following:

"I'm gonna pass... because I wanted a drop floorplate version that held 6 down"

Or "I'm gonna pass... because I wanted a short action version".

Or even "I'm gonna pass... because I wanted one in stainless".

And finally the old "I'm gonna pass... because now that I have to actually pay for the darn thing, I don't really want one that bad".

Who knows, I could be wrong...

I'd say you have a background in the gun business!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yeah Duane - I can already hear the complaints when potential buyers hear the price considerably north of $300. Why so much? My M70 steel guard only cost me $175.
However, worth the money in my opinion? Hell yeah.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't intend to be negative with my comment....just realistic.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K W Johnston:
I didn't intend to be negative with my comment....just realistic.

Wish I had a dollar for every time: "Do you have such and such in stock?" "Yes, I do" " Ah....OK I'll get back to you" (SOMETIMES they actually do so!) Not often..

one of us
posted Hide Post
$10,500 less then some spend on rifle.

Heck buy a Blaser and a few barrels you got it right there.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How different , if any , is the MarkII bottom metal than the tang safety 77 Ruger ??

What I mean , in size , hole spacing , etc etc .
Could the one fit the other ?? Perhaps a with a little extra wood fitting/removal .....

Having a one piece bottom metal for the tang safety would be super cool ...

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a one piece bottom metal can improve an already smooth feeding Ruger as well as its looks it may be worth it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen the shape of the triggerguard bow is different on the M77 vs the M77 MK II. The M77 has an inside the bow floorplate release like a Mauser, the MK II is depressed from the outside like a model 70. I remember years ago wanting to exchange the alloy trigger bow on my M77 for the steel bow of the MK II. I was told that they are not interchangeable due to the middle screw location being different.

Now for custom one piece bottom metal, the middle screw would be eliminated. In that case the triggerguard could possibly work for both actions...

If someone has an example of both Actions they could compare measurements from front to rear guard screw ?

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Welcome to fantasy island!! animal

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Realistically, the problem for Duane or whomever would possibly make a run of one piece triggerguards is the 3 different action lengths.

So what gets made ? RSM Magnum, Standard, or Short action length? I bet the maker would require all 30 orders to be for one length. Then it goes back to my first post in this thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEll...so much for the real world...At any rate, I have sold my CNC, programs and fixtures to:
Will Nelson
Uvalde TX
830 232 6334

The machine is being moved net week, it will take him a bit to get up and running. Will is a former Lockheed man. Soooo, he has a head start in cnc machining and programming and will have the time to devote to a part of the business I never could.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Do you mind me asking why? Are you pivoting your business model?

quote:
WEll...so much for the real world...At any rate, I have sold my CNC, programs and fixtures to:
Will Nelson
Uvalde TX
830 232 6334

The machine is being moved net week, it will take him a bit to get up and running. Will is a former Lockheed man. Soooo, he has a head start in cnc machining and programming and will have the time to devote to a part of the business I never could.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mind the question at all...I simply found that I couldn't keep up on building guns and also keep up with the machining end of it
And...I really like he gunbuilding part better than fooling around with the CNC.

My hope was then trying to find suitable employee or partner to run the machine..That didn't seem to work out,

Qualified people can make better money with nearby Boeing and it's contract shops.

Another part of the country probably would have stood a better chance of working out, I could have gone to leaded stock to boost production with longer tool life, maybe welded assemblies,,sort of a modular approach. Neither option was in my bag of tricks... But, learned a lot and have no regrets

I'm confident Will has the ability and discipline to turn out a fine product

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Qualified people can make better money with nearby Boeing and it's contract shops.

A machinist that is qualified to program, set up and run CNC machines.

Make good money for sure.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking that the answer to my question is NO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For 350 I am in for one.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
$10,500 less then some spend on rifle.

Heck buy a Blaser and a few barrels you got it right there.

Buy a Blaser? Most of us have more self respect than that.

BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will Nelson
Uvalde TX
830 232 6334

I hope that Mr. Wilson will join us here from time to time to let us know what he is making and what he is developing - just as Mr. Wiebe did.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson will make you and extended magazine for about any rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote