Notify
Tools

400 H&H Barrel Arrived
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
Photos lost, server crashed.

Posts: 1461 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
At least you have a vision and direction.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your project, My 400 is going to Zim with me this fall

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love shooting paper patch cast bullets. The 400 H&H has been on my wish list since I first saw it.
It has a lovely long neck.

Good Luck with it.

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke with Russel Wilkin the technical director for H&H at their booth during SCI. Wilkin is the gentleman responsible for the design of the 400 and 465H&H. I asked why he made the neck so long on the 400 he said he wanted a cartridge where the shaft of the bullet remained in the neck and did not descend into the body of the cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
funny, I was laying on the floor sleeping with my kids last night (playing slumber party, their mom's out of town) and thinking how cool the 450 rigby is. I hope you keep us posted on that project.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
funny, I was laying on the floor sleeping with my kids last night (playing slumber party, their mom's out of town) and thinking how cool the 450 rigby is. I hope you keep us posted on that project.

Red

Thing to do now is to sort out what rear sight to use.

I like a nice rib on the barrel with a multi leaf sight, but my old eyes say ghost ring on the rear bridge.

Maybe both?

This rifle will not be scoped.

Posts: 1461 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with a classic Lyman Receiver sight along with your multi leaf sight

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Spoke with Russel Wilkin the technical director for H&H at their booth during SCI. Wilkin is the gentleman responsible for the design of the 400 and 465H&H. I asked why he made the neck so long on the 400 he said he wanted a cartridge where the shaft of the bullet remained in the neck and did not descend into the body of the cartridge.
I spoke with one of the salesmen at the Dakota booth and he said that the 400H&H has become very popular for them, especially in a 300H&H/400H&H switch barrel rifle. According to him, results in the field were very good.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Count me in on the 400, a neat cartridge. Is it possible to make brass in one step from the 375? I only see qual cart as a source for brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Count me in on the 400, a neat cartridge. Is it possible to make brass in one step from the 375? I only see qual cart as a source for brass.

I use re-sized 375 brass for practice rounds they are a bit short but acceptable one pass through the re-sizing die than either fire form them or I load a soft practice round and shoot them. I got my 400H&H brass from Qual cart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see MidwayUSA has Hornady Belted Magnum Basic for $38.95 for 50. That makes this a very economical exotic to load for.
If I ever run into a 375 with a need for some rehab, I just might have to do something bad.

Cheers, John

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter, thanks for the additional info... In regards to the swage die, is it a straight .411 or do you have to allow for any elasticity in the bullet material and have the die undersized to compensate for this? How would the die work with say an a aframe?

Can't wait to see the finished project, like Phatman, the .400 has me intrigued!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Where was that article by Samaras published?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Baxter,
I resize 375's for my 9.3x62, I do it in 2 steps with a .366 being the final. There is a tad bit of spring back, .367 is the final measure.
Remember there is some core jacket separation when you do it, but I've never seen a jacket/core part company on game.
Aframes I have not tried but I have done Nosler partitions and they are a royal pain. It can be done but just not worth it. You have to use a mini lathe and drill a small hole through the partition via the base.
Just to much work.

Hmmm... I wonder just how fast the the 400 H&H can toss a Barnes 300 grain TSX ment for the 405 Win... Look out Bambi Big Grin

Cheers, John

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, I just gotta ask. While anything with the H&H name on it is really cool, if you are building a rifle, wouldn't a .416 Ruger just make a whole lot more sense? No belt, fits in a 30-06 length action and thus arguably better case design, bigger selection of .416 bullets, easy to find load data, high quality inexpensive brass, same bullet weight, only .005 difference in bullet diameter. If you have to have a classic, how about the .416 Rigby? Just asking....

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I think Woodhunter hit the nail on the head. I think in some respect, all guys interested in safari are anachronistic in their endeavors and that, in and of itself, makes the things they do suspect.

There are gun guys who know the ins and outs of guns and design and then there are guys like me who like guns because they are cool. I just happen to think the .400 H&H is a cool round. It wont do anything any other 400 grain bullet at about 2400 fos wont do from any other case, but it's kind of a neat round. Plus, I respect H&H for designing a round that is obsolete (technically speaking e.g. the 416 Ruger you mention) from the get-go in order to fill a gap and make complete their in-house branded ammunition line. Yeah, it's stupid to think it's cool, I agree, but I still do nonetheless.

In even worse news, I have also been having a hankering for the 350 Rigby....Lord help me...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter, I got to looking at your original post and I was wondering if the 400 H&H would fit into a Winchester Pre 64 375 action?

What are the velocities of 350gn bullets and 400gn bullets?

I got to looking at the availability of .411 bullets as opposed to .416. There are a lot of .416 bullets. Would it not make better sense to make a .416 H&H?

You really have got me to thinking that this would be an ideal build on my Winchester action that is just lying around now.

Gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the 416 Ruger better???
Well that depends on your application. For me I hate short necks, they are a royal pain for cast bullets and that is a large part of the hobby for me.
I also like calibers that have a little something special going for them.
6.5x55 small bore legend
9.2x62 medium bore legend
I don't own a 308 Win, its just to dry toast.
I need a good cartridge for cast bullets other than the old 30/40 Krag I cast for. I think the 400 H&H would be a worthy one.

As far as bullet selection is concerned:
Bullets for the 405 Win and the 450/400 Nitro work in it. How many bullets do you need?

Cheers, John

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Would the 404-375 be good for cast bullets too? A simple neck up of the 375hh no shoulder. Just taper to a caliber length neck tension area.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be a great choice also.
No fleas on that wildcat.

Cheers, John

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Guys, I just gotta ask. While anything with the H&H name on it is really cool, if you are building a rifle, wouldn't a .416 Ruger just make a whole lot more sense? No belt, fits in a 30-06 length action and thus arguably better case design, bigger selection of .416 bullets, easy to find load data, high quality inexpensive brass, same bullet weight, only .005 difference in bullet diameter. If you have to have a classic, how about the .416 Rigby? Just asking....

I don't understand how the .416 Ruger "no belt, fits in 30-06 length action" equates to a better case design. Definitely different, but not better. The .416 Ruger case takes up just as much vertical space in a magazine as the 400H&H so there is no advantage there. The Ruger case fits the 30-06 action but I don't consider any significant advantage gained by having a magnum rifle that is a whopping 1/4 of an inch shorter. Of course there is a huge advantage for Ruger. They no longer offer the long action version of their model 77 and that saves them money. It's no wonder they launched such a big campaign to promote the 375 Ruger over the 375H&H. It was the only way they could get you to forget they no longer offer a magnum length action.

The 400H&H case is gently tapered for smooth feeding but the Ruger case has sharp angles at the shoulder and neck and feeding is less than smooth.
quote:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...ruger/#comment-19780 ...A buddy and I each bought one..(he for an african safari). Once we were able to locate the factory hornady ammo up here, appreciate our dismay when we found it would not reliably feed through the rifle, on either gun. These two rifles were replaced by Ruger with two new ones, so off to the range again. Guess what? Neither of the replacement rifles will feed this ammo either!!!!! Jams occur virtually every time the bolt is cycled!! This is still to be sorted out by/with Ruger/Hornady, but four out of four rifles that will NOT FEED the only factory ammo available for them??? And billed as a Dangerous game rifle??!! I think Not.

loren Chaplin
Canada

My gut feeling is that the minds at Ruger did not sit back and say, "Let's design some improved .375 and .416 cartridges. We should be the innovation leaders and invent the best .375 and .416 cartridges we can." Instead, they must have sat back and said, "We need to reduce overhead, the number of items in inventory, and manufacturing costs. We can do that by ceasing production of one of our actions, the magnum action. Okay, boys, we can do that but we are going to need to cover the big bore market. Let's come up with some big bore cartridges that we can cram into the standard action. Then we'll convince customers they are 'better and improved'. They'll buy anything if we get enough magazines to tell them how good it is."

In my opinion, the .416 Remington is a much better designed cartridge than the .416 Ruger cartridge. A .416 Remington vs 400H&H discussion makes more sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
Woodhunter, I got to looking at your original post and I was wondering if the 400 H&H would fit into a Winchester Pre 64 375 action?

What are the velocities of 350gn bullets and 400gn bullets?

I got to looking at the availability of .411 bullets as opposed to .416. There are a lot of .416 bullets. Would it not make better sense to make a .416 H&H?

You really have got me to thinking that this would be an ideal build on my Winchester action that is just lying around now.
Hoot when I decided I wanted to have a 400H&H I purchased a new SC FN win mod 70 in 375H&H then had the gun re-barreled. with no feeding problems, with the same barrel contour it dropped in to the original stock. Presently I am altering the stock, longer length of pull took off the cheek piece and changed the cross pins.
Gracias,
Hoot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

I don't understand how the .416 Ruger "no belt, fits in 30-06 length action" equates to a better case design. Definitely different, but not better. The .416 Ruger case takes up just as much vertical space in a magazine as the 400H&H so there is no advantage there. The Ruger case fits the 30-06 action but I don't consider any significant advantage gained by having a magnum rifle that is a whopping 1/4 of an inch shorter. Of course there is a huge advantage for Ruger. They no longer offer the long action version of their model 77 and that saves them money. It's no wonder they launched such a big campaign to promote the 375 Ruger over the 375H&H. It was the only way they could get you to forget they no longer offer a magnum length action.

The 400H&H case is gently tapered for smooth feeding but the Ruger case has sharp angles at the shoulder and neck and feeding is less than smooth.
quote:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...ruger/#comment-19780 ...A buddy and I each bought one..(he for an african safari). Once we were able to locate the factory hornady ammo up here, appreciate our dismay when we found it would not reliably feed through the rifle, on either gun. These two rifles were replaced by Ruger with two new ones, so off to the range again. Guess what? Neither of the replacement rifles will feed this ammo either!!!!! Jams occur virtually every time the bolt is cycled!! This is still to be sorted out by/with Ruger/Hornady, but four out of four rifles that will NOT FEED the only factory ammo available for them??? And billed as a Dangerous game rifle??!! I think Not.

loren Chaplin
Canada

My gut feeling is that the minds at Ruger did not sit back and say, "Let's design some improved .375 and .416 cartridges. We should be the innovation leaders and invent the best .375 and .416 cartridges we can." Instead, they must have sat back and said, "We need to reduce overhead, the number of items in inventory, and manufacturing costs. We can do that by ceasing production of one of our actions, the magnum action. Okay, boys, we can do that but we are going to need to cover the big bore market. Let's come up with some big bore cartridges that we can cram into the standard action. Then we'll convince customers they are 'better and improved'. They'll buy anything if we get enough magazines to tell them how good it is."

In my opinion, the .416 Remington is a much better designed cartridge than the .416 Ruger cartridge. A .416 Remington vs 400H&H discussion makes more sense.

Classic round, no Belt, available brass and bullets, more case capacity, etc...I would just go with 404 Jeffery and call in good.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:

Classic round, no Belt, available brass and bullets, more case capacity, etc...I would just go with 404 Jeffery and call in good.
Another very good cartridge and a much better choice than the Ruger round. If one wants to go a little bigger than .411 the Jeffery, at .423, makes a lot of sense. And, to head off the question, I think there is just as much difference between .411 and .423 as there is between .277 and .284 (.270 and 7mm), .323 (8mm) and .338, .366 (9.3) and .375, or .458 and .475 (450 and 470). The difference will mean more to the shooter than to the game being shot but the difference is there just the same.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Grenadier:

I sure understand all you have said. At one time I was a naysayer too. I couldn't figure out why we needed another .375 when we had the wonderful .375 H&H but the guys at Hornady (not Ruger) were smarter than me. They designed a perfect cartridge that will work through a 30-06 action and is so efficient that it produce velocities matching the .375 H&H out of a 20 inch barrel. Because of customer demand, they then necked it up to .416. It one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. It makes up into a much less expensive and much more portable rifle. They then shortened it and gave us the 300 and .338 Ruger Compact Magnums. Again, super efficient cartridges that make up into light handy guns.

I am a big fan of cartridge design and I would have to say that the .375 and .416 Ruger cartridges are very well designed. However, you just can't fault a cartridge that was designed using the venerable .375 H&H either.

Good luck and good hunting!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hoot when I decided I wanted to have a 400H&H I purchased a new SC FN win mod 70 in 375H&H then had the gun re-barreled. with no feeding problems, with the same barrel contour it dropped in to the original stock

This is exactly what I would do. Easy peasy...

As far as bullets, CEB now makes .411 BBW #13s and No-cons. Add this to the excellent Woodleighs and what more could you as for? Well, maybe an A-Frame but give them time; they may catch up!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What barrel length is best with the 400??
I'm guessing 22.

Cheers, John

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I believe H&H bases their stuff on a 24, which is what I would use anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concur entirely re the proposed sights.

If you've not already run across it, Williams makes a very fine ghost ring. I know this because like the rest of me, my eyes are 63 years old.

Gorgeous stuff, BTW.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:

Gracias,
Hoot

For the pragmatic I would say so but H&H doesn't market to the pragmatist.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Of note the tad over .6" neck is good if you wanted to use a 30-06 length action and use 405 Win bullets. You could load nominal 400 rifle bullets deeper or single load. You can turn a 7 mag into a 400 HH.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote