Notify
Tools

Wiebe 270
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My Wiebe 270 was stolen...

Man was that a sweet shooting rifle...when I got it I ran a box of factory Winchester 150 grn Power Points thru it and it shot sub 2/3 of an inch. I left the range went beck to the store picked thru the 10 boxes and bought the eight of the same lot number they had on the shelf and decided not too reload for it...

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:

What is the width of the quarter rib at the rear sight? My inquiring mind would like to know...Thanks!

The q-rib is 1/2" wide right behind the rear sight.

Thank You for taking the time to do that and answering my question!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle....Duane does get some terrific wood....and really does justice with it...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Love the full rib.....Now I know who bought that blank....I missed it by just hours. I was trying to pick it up for a different project. One thing to note like another poster mentioned there is a lot of contrast on the luxus site. This stock is a perfect example of that. Looks great on the rifle but does not have no where near the color that it does from the Luxus stock photo.

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A statement that doesn't reflect well on Lexus when photos set selling price.

quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Love the full rib.....Now I know who bought that blank....I missed it by just hours. I was trying to pick it up for a different project. One thing to note like another poster mentioned there is a lot of contrast on the luxus site. This stock is a perfect example of that. Looks great on the rifle but does not have no where near the color that it does from the Luxus stock photo.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to take/post some more photos of the stock/wood under different lighting conditions than what I posted (these photos were taken by Duane, before he shipped the rifle).

What I can tell you is, the wood looks totaly different in person.....it has a depth to it that doesn't show up in the pictures and it is a lot darker. There is also some fiddle back that doesn't show in the pictures. The right side is also darker than the left. I had Duane tint this stock with the "red root" and you can see the before and after in some of the photos.

I have bought a lot of wood from Luxus from "pictures on their website"......sometimes I send a blank back, because I don't like it when I get it in my hands.....Luxus doesn't have a problem with this, they stand behind their product. I had one blank that had a crack in the butt and it was in Duane's shop before "we" noticed it. Duane called it to my attention and I called Adam at Luxus he said cut it off....well we did and the crack ran pretty deep. It wasn't going to work for the lay out. The stock was sent back to Luxus and I got to pick another blank that was "higher" quality.

I hope this helps ease what ever concerns you may or may not have......it is all good.

I would buy the same blank and use it all over again on this project if I had to do it over! There is not much more that I can say.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second MHC_TX's statement. My obvservation was not meant to cast doubt on the quality or figure...just that it was...well..."enhanced".

I've always sought permission from Luxus to run a blank through the jointer prior to purchase and it was alwsys given, no srings attached.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Wiebe 270 was stolen...

What a bummer that must have been!

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have also bought a few blanks from Luxus as well. I was just trying to point out that there is definetly a lot more contrast in thier pictures then when you get them. They are very easy to work with and I will use them again, but keep in mind when you are looking at photo's from other sites to take that in account. Like I said I tried to buy this very blank and missed it by just hours.

Thanks

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I am jealous. That is a stunning rifle and I see no way to improve it. Absolute first rate perfection.
Wiebe and Martini. Two of the best that have drawn breath and picked up a chisel to build a gun.
In my opinion they both humiliate a great many of the legendary guns made by the fabled English Firms.

Now…. on to the wood and photos. It has always been an issue for us and photos. Two reasons, three really.

The first is that we have endeavored to find the very best way to photograph wood.

Obviously we wish to show the wood in its beauty. Who would not. We do use a thinned penetrating oil and/or just mineral spirits. If the wood is highly dense, as was Mikes blank, I sometimes allow the mineral spirits to penetrate before snapping the photo, as I would a finish on the stock.

Second is the screen settings that an individual has his screen set on and his contrast.

Obviously that has no bearing on the photos of Mikes gun. BUT, the first reason above surely does as will the following reason, the third reason.

Third, and POSSIBLY the most important as it pertains to Mikes photos and his guns stock, as I DO NOT mean to imply there is anything less than first class finish on the wood. Duane is in my opinion the best of about five that have ever lived. I would personally love to have a gun built by him.

This is huge...PARAMOUNT to anyone that enjoys great wood on a gun. I Want to heavily STRESS THIS. It is SO EASY to apply a finish to wood that is less than flattering to the wood.
There are reasons this happens and they almost invariably involve the wood being too tight and too dense to allow a finish to get into the wood. IT MUST get in the wood to bounce back color.
Personally, I have played with every finish one might use on a gunstock. I have also left them outside for over three years. I have subjected them to every possible torture a gun might go through in a lifetime.
I have strong opinions about gun wood and wood finishes, and it is all based on tests and not passed down ideas.
Many of the very OLD trees we cut have a density that is exceptionally HIGH. As was that blank that Mike and Duane used. Stupid hard wood and crazy dense. No pores, virtually. I am certain Duane will agree....that blank was a bear of a blank.
Example of the opposite is Claro walnut. I often say that if a guy sneezes in the next room, a claro blank will get darker with more color. it is a sponge with open pores and it is Thirsty wood. It tales a finish very fast and easily. This is why a spray works ok on it. To use a spray finish on wood that is dense is a shame. The particles of finish are drying as they collide and land on the surface, they cannot therefore get into the wood.
Ok, moving forward with this finish situation or more importantly to all of us that are interested in wood, and finishes.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I shall shut up now…hahaha. Anyway, look at the examples of various finishes and what they can and cannot do to flatter wood.

Amazing to say the least.

Two of the above finishes are the finishes used by two well known semi-custom gunmakers...not individuals mind you, but companies. They are not the best, but they are cheap to apply, fast and highly effecient in their intended roles.

I personally will only use one finish anymore, when I am finishing my own stock. Very thinned Teak oil. If the wood is REAL dense, I will heat the oil and or the stock to get the color and most importantly.....the contrast I want.

There is a ton more to all the tests I conducted. But the above is the better parts as it applys here.

In closing...MIKE...I did not want to hijack this thread. So, if anyone has questions, just email me or start a new thread.
This is about a gun, Mikes gun and Duanes workmanship.

Mike, I kinda dislike you right now! The same way I dislike Forrest when he shows me another photo of yet another perfect rifle.
You both are gonna have to be gentleman at Dallas and buy me some scotch. JK. but serioisly...one night!
No one likes a guy that shows off a gun like the above and then has the lack of manners to buy his friends a drink.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
I personally will only use one finish anymore, when I am finishing my own stock. Very thinned Teak oil. If the wood is REAL dense, I will heat the oil and or the stock to get the color and most importantly.....the contrast I want.

Hmmmmm Adam for the first time I will take formal written exception to part of what you have stated.

As I have seen it with my own eyes in a side by side comparison the finish that Luxus has developed in house is what I want to use on my rifles. Even the Guild Smith who builds most of my wood rifles is waiting for me or you to send him some. In short the Luxus finish is peerless IMHO. dancing

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam...thanks for sharing that information.

To me this forum/thread is all about "sharing information".....nothing more...nothing less.

Four years ago I didn't know "how" to build a custom rifle or "how" to buy a piece of wood. As a matter of fact, I had never even heard of a Brno 21 action until I saw ForrestB's. Most of what I know I learned here and the more I learn, the less I realize I know.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your post, Adam.

I personally like teak oil and have used it exclusively for about 25 years now. This is a drying oil that develops more patina as you apply a thin coat yearly (After every season)

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I second that...the more I learn the more I realize I don't know anything!!

Duane, Prego!
I really like teak too. I have also found it has the best water repelling ability of any oil one might apply to wood. It does seem to penetrate better as well. I have planned blocks of wood off with a real sharp blade and just skim coats off the side to see what oil penetrates the best. Teak, every time, is the best.

Do you apply a sealer first Duane? Or do you just use straight teak, and do you thin it?

The patina is good too. A little blood and sweat added and about ten years of handling and wow! That is the best look.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane-

Would Seafin teak oil work as a top-coat over something like permalyn?

Thanks

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam: I use the Ship and Shore sealer..as much as I can soak in.. then try again a couple days later

Woodhits: Never tried that, you might give Daly's a call 1800 735 7019

Off the top of my head, I can't see a problem

one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote