Wiebe 270
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gunsmith: Duane Wiebe
Barrel: Ralf Martini
Engraver: Charles Lee
Wood: Luxus

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No compliment I could post would add to that absolute masterpiece, on the finest action ever made and by two of the finest artists and gentlemen working today, Duane and Ralf. I would say "perfection", but, it is beyond even that......

Bring it to BC and shoot a Moose the size of a boxcar with it and maybe a good ram if the hunting gods are on your side....sometimes, they forget to smile on we poor mortal hunters!

Now, find a ZG-47 donnor and have a matching .338WM built to go with it!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH my,thanks for the great pictures of such a wonderful project...all top shelf. What does your finished rifle weigh?
congrats to you and those involved!

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a rifle worth waiting a lifetime for. It is just beautiful!
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice, Mike. Fantastic rifle!

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, Mike...that looks vaguely familiar to me.

It is a very handsome rifle. Needless to say, I like it a lot.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Hmmm, Mike...that looks vaguely familiar to me.

It is a very handsome rifle. Needless to say, I like it a lot.

ForrestB,

I had a good teacher and I learn real fast.....the only thing different from your's is the blank. We can call it the FB#2.....it should make for a good coyote rifle!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Wowww what a rifle !!!!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! What action is that? How much does it way? I love the full rib!

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action is a BRNO 21.

I don't know how much it weighs and we don't have any scales in the house. The rifle is currently in the care of FedEx.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rifle is currently in the care of FedEx

I'd be drinking or praying heavily right now, maybe both Smiler

That's the best looking Wiebe gun I've seen posted here IMO. I like different wood but that rifle is fabulous.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous...you are truly blessed!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It just doesn't get any better than that!!! Workmanship beyond belief, the perfect caliber, WOW...I hope you're young, because that rifle deserves to be hunted with for years and years and years.

Posts: 683 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice MHC-TX,..
makes me feel I should progress with my B21 receivers.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Burgess rings?

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yep, ForrestB had one built with that action a few years ago and I've been begging him for pictures of it since. Wink Beautiful rifle in every way. A nice rifle like that only adds to the pleasure of a good hunting trip.

Congrats to you and Duane.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle Mike! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic elegance. Whose rings? Burgess? Ragnar?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure "whose" rings Duane used....he will have to answer that one.

Something you can't see from the photos is: Ralf Martini built the barrel with "progressive twist" rifling.....the way I understand it is, the rifling gets tighter towards the muzzle end......in theory, it is suppost to give you higher velocity - we will see. The gun was regulated with Federal factory 140 grain Nosler Accubond bullets. Federal lists this load as having a MV=2950fps it will be interesting to see what these factory loads chronograph at from this rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rings are detailed Talley

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
M21 BRNO, Martini barrel, Wiebe gunmaker...the perfect embodiment of a medium caliber sporter.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Rings are detailed Talley

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a supernice rifle, no doubt about it!

What makes me a little curious is the floorplate and triggerguard. Theyre fine aswell, but did the 21 really come in that configuration or are they taken from a ZG 47?

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that the exact picture of the wood blank that was used? It looks different on the finished rifle than what I would expect. Both are very nice!

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asti:

What makes me a little curious is the floorplate and triggerguard. Theyre fine aswell, but did the 21 really come in that configuration or are they taken from a ZG 47?

The bottom metal is the Fisher "rounded" floorplate

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
Is that the exact picture of the wood blank that was used? It looks different on the finished rifle than what I would expect. Both are very nice!

Way back, the blanks were sold...well...call it "color enhanced"

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle!!!
It takes some big gonads to post a picture of checkering that close up... Wink
I enjoy seeing this type of barrel work also, but got a question. What is the width of the quarter rib at the rear sight? My inquiring mind would like to know...Thanks!

ENJOY!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Duane were to sculpt a woman, but had never seen one, I have no doubt the result would bear a striking resemblance to a young Elle Mcpherson.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Duane has some of the nicest stock patterns out there and his finishing touches on the metal work are outstanding.

I keep telling myself I don't need one of his rifles, but I really do want one at some point.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The FedEx man came through....rifle arrived today. Pictures really don't do it justice and it handles like a little wand. I will try and take some pictures of the wood in natural light. I did find some luggage scales, so I will weigh it with and without the scope.....I don't know what it weighs, but it balances so well. I think it probably feels lighter than it really is. I will also measure the width of the q-rib and post that later. Hopefully, the rain will pause long enough (we are getting some of Alex down here) so I can get it to the range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:
Originally posted by asti:

The bottom metal is the Fisher "rounded" floorplate

I see, at a closer look I notice that the triggerguard doesnt have the same shape as the ZG does. My bad...
However, the rifle is beautiful!

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Fantasic rifle!

Always thought those little Brno 21s make a great platform for a custom and after seeing yours and ForrestB's certain about that...

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more pics and specs on your rifle.

Best,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I weighed the rifle on some luggage scales and with scope it weighs ~7-1/2 pounds. That is the best I can do with these scales.

Editorial Comment: Duane thought my scales might be weighing on the light side and the gun weight with scope might be closer to 8-1/2 pounds - he said, he did not weigh it either (before sending it out)......the bottom line is, it settles down real quick for offhand shooting and I don't think it would be a burden to carry up a mountain. Sorry I can't be more exact.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's great work! I would like to see what the other side of the stock looks like finisned.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:

What is the width of the quarter rib at the rear sight? My inquiring mind would like to know...Thanks!

The q-rib is 1/2" wide right behind the rear sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
It seems a shame that those BRNO 21 actions are not readily available and easily affordable.

Whats next for you MHC?

I just bought one, 8x57 IS, fullstock, ZG-safety and "squarebridge", just like MHC:s.
In pristine condition, I paid about 600 dollars for it. But thats here in Sweden, and old qualityrifles have just now started to go up in price.
Anyway, I thought it was a steal, so I couldnt resist... Wink
Sorry for OT, MHC!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After all the preceeding positive replies and all well justified as I have to emphasize ,
I risk outing one minor point of criticisme concerning style
( at least in my eyes).
Mixing the style elements of continental rifle building (octagonal to round barrel) and a British Stock design is a good idea. But it is unavoidable to find a harmonic compromise.
IMHO the octagonal part of the barrel is slihghtly too long or the forearm of the stock slightly too short.
My eyes are used to see the tip of the forearm ending where the octagonal part of the barrel ends.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
After all the preceeding positive replies and all well justified as I have to emphasize ,
I risk outing one minor point of criticisme concerning style
( at least in my eyes).
Mixing the style elements of continental rifle building (octagonal to round barrel) and a British Stock design is a good idea. But it is unavoidable to find a harmonic compromise.
IMHO the octagonal part of the barrel is slihghtly too long or the forearm of the stock slightly too short.
My eyes are used to see the tip of the forearm ending where the octagonal part of the barrel ends.

heavenknows,

I understand what you are saying - here are some other examples of that transition point (octagon-to-round). On this "light rifle", I wouldn't change a thing, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't or shouldn't.

However, on a heavier barrel or big bore rifle, I would probably want the transition point moved back closer to the forearm tip. I also like the transition closer to the forearm tip on single-shots.

Examples of octagon-to-round transition points (all of these were built by Ralf Martini):

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
My preference is for the transition between octagon and round to be just ahead of the foreend, like in the last photo.

Some of the older guns have a lot more octagon showing and I don't really like that. When the foreend extends beyond the octagon, it really looks funny to me.

Different strokes for different folks. The good thing is that when you're the paying customer you can get exactly what you want.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
My preference is for the transition between octagon and round to be just ahead of the foreend, like in the last photo.

Some of the older guns have a lot more octagon showing and I don't really like that. When the foreend extends beyond the octagon, it really looks funny to me.

Different strokes for different folks. The good thing is that when you're the paying customer you can get exactly what you want.

Forrest: ONLY if one man does the whole thing