Find
Notify
Tools

Need Ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Okay. Here's the challenge. Or more precisely, the problem.

And please understand that the solution must involve a new rifle in a new caliber. Answers that don't involve that solution are not acceptable. Big Grin

Let's assume that you have a Modelo Argentino 1909 DWM Mauser in great condition. And you want to use the action to build a custom rifle.

Let's also assume that you have rifles in these calibers (and in some cases, multiple rifles in each caliber):

.223 Rem.
.25-06 Rem.
6.5x54mm MS
.270 WSM
7x57mmR, a/k/a .275 Rigby Flanged
7mm Rem. Mag.
.30-40 Krag
.308 Win.
.30-06 Spfld.
.300 RUM
8x57mmJS
.338 Win. Mag.
9.3x62mm
.375 H&H Mag.
.416 Rem. Mag.
.416 Rigby
.45-70 Gov't
.577/450 M-H
.458 Lott
.450 Rigby
.470 NE
.500 A-Square

And let's further assume that you don't want or need a true varmint rifle or another big bore.

Where's the gap?

What do you need?

Or what do you want?

Thanks!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13416 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 375H&H begs to fill that gap.

It is neither a big bore nor a varmint rifle.

But it can be both.

You are very welcome.

Oh, and it is ideal in an '09 action. I have a 375H&H and a 470Capstick (slowly) being built on the '09.

DRSS

Posts: 1911 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57 in a mannlicher stock. I know I broke the rule in this game.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
7x64 Brennnnnekkkkkeeee if it fits in an 09' with an octagon barrel and an Austro/Germanic stock.

or a 6.5 creedmoor

Posts: 6407 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.280 Remington...

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
There are no gaps, therefore you need a
.318 WR
.338-06
.416 Taylor
.257 Roberts
.358 Norma

In no particular order

I am not familiar with the dimensions of the rifle you have, but I would imagine one of the above beauty's would work.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.404 jerffrey.

.257 weatherby.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x64

Admittedly I am way over my head, but in my heart I'm a dreamer.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Looks like you need a .243 Win or 6mm Creedmoor
I don't see any 6mm's on your list, so there's the obvious gap.

It would be a sweet build on your 1909 Arge

Wispy 24" barrel with a trim little Rigby style stock. Pure joy

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
400 H&H - with what you already have, it's the most (il)logical but different choice! :-)

Actually, the above-mentioned 358 Norma would be an excellent choice.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
.404 jerffrey.

X2

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
7-08

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3434 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see a 270 Winchester on your list. That action would be perfect.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
6.5x68

Posts: 7499 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You don't have a .243/6mm. I say .240 Weatherby.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm Rem AI
.257 Roberts
6.5x57 or 6.5x55 or 6.5x68
8x68S
358 Norma
9.3x64

All glaring and massive holes in that battery! Wink

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
257 Ackley Improved, had one, sold it,it was my favorite.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.204 Ruger

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308 Norma Mag.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5-06 would be my choice.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7.65 Argentine. The action is already set up for it so you won't have cycling problems. Add a custom barrel to clear up any throating issues and you'll have the equivalent of a 308.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I confess to being a bit prejudiced, since I am having one of each built, but the 6,5x68 and 8x68 S would give you magnum performance in those two calibers to go with the comparative pipsqueaks you listed. Both on 1909's.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:

.257 Roberts
6.5x57

All glaring and massive holes in that battery! Wink

These two based on your requirements of no large bore or varmint.

One other glaring omission is the standard 7x57, you have rimmed but everyone needs a standard 7x57.

Barring the above, 35 Whelen.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.280 Ackley . I've built several and they are incredibly accurate and easy to get accurate.

Posts: 84 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
257 Roberts
318 Westley Richards
35 Whelan

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5-284. Very little work needed to make it feed with factory bottom metal.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 7x64

Doug

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I'll put one in for the .318 Express(W.R.). A great traditional cartridge, Hornady and Woodleigh make bullets. Cases available from Quality Cartridge or easily made from 30/06. I have two, with a third under construction by Winston Elrod on a 1909 action. What's not to like?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the .257 Bob... a classic. Also like the .300 H&H but would need too much work.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm and .257 Bob are both a bit of a gap. But, with the 25–06, I have never felt any sort of need in that category.

And in every other category, I already have it covered, or don't need it.

But a hot 6.5 might be just the ticket. I am tempted . . .

Still, I am now thinking .318.

Too eccentric perhaps.

But in life, I have learned, the hardest one to please is oneself.

And I am old school, after all.

I went to the school they tore down where they built the old school.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1909 is a very nice action and deserves to be built into something special. The 1909 can handle longer cartridges just fine, so anything in the 308 family just doesn't take full advantage of the action. You said you don't need another big bore sooo.

Are you planning to build an open sight express rifle in the British style ? Everyone needs at least one open sight rifle Wink. If so something in the middle of the road like a 338-06/ 35 whelen would work well. Bullets and brass are easy to find and cheaper than the oddball stuff. More traditional rounds like a 318 Westley Richards, 333 Jeffery, or 350 Rigby would be classy but components are expensive.

Maybe you plan on a nice scoped rifle. If it's gonna have a scope, might as well be something thats fun to do some longer range target shooting with. You have a good many long range/high velocity cartridges already. However the 6.5x55 Swede is missing. Very nice cartridge and a classic combination with a Mauser action. Also the 300 H&H would be a great choice. Its one of the sexiest looking cartridges ever made .

Best of luck!

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .333 Jeffery is intriguing. Sort of a gap, since there's always room for a classic English caliber, right?

It would be easier to swage .338 bullets down to .333 than .330 (for the .318 WR).

Also, although I'm not positive, I think, with a bit of work, readily available .404 cases could be used for the .333.

Pretty sure, too, that Kynoch still loads ammunition for it, although availability can be an issue with Kynoch. But not sure about the brass quality - Bertram? - or whether it's Boxer primed.

And the .333, with its large case capacity and modern powders, could definitely be souped up to near .338 Win. Mag. performance.

Of course, I'd have to find someone who could get or make a barrel of odd bore diameter, and reamers, too.

And getting good metal work would be key, as well as stock work aimed at keeping the rifle trim, strictly along English lines.

A lot of work, but intriguing.

Has anyone gone down this road lately?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
8x68 or 300 H&H

#2 barrel on them. 26" on the 8x68, 25" on the 300 H&H.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3049 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If you really like British calibers you could have the magazine angled for rimmed cases and build a .303 British rifle like this one from Rigby.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
.256 Newton is the correct answer to your question. More oats than a 6.5 Creedmoor, long neck, plenty of power with modest recoil. Lots of class and no one on your block will own one.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
350 Rigby was my first thought.
Keep it classy.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Seems like you need some 35s (35 Whelen, 358 Winchester?)

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4733 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
.280 Remington...

Obviously the most obvious choice!

Posts: 10224 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mrlexma,
Another obvious choice is anything in a Blaser! Sell that old beat up action and go "modern"!

Posts: 10224 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote