THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Mauser barreled action in 35 Whelen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser barreled action in 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently finished up a barreled action for a customer.
He supplied all the parts, except for my M70 type safety, and the front sight bead

The right hand side of the barreled action, a Douglas # 3 contour barrel was used, trimmed to 22 inch length
A 1909 Arg trigger guard, a Recknagel trigger and a McLaughlin peep, one of my M70 type safeties

Top left side of the action, showing the redone bolt stop pad, the new M70 type safety

Top view of the action, showing the redone bolt stop pad, the new M70 type safety, and part of the cocking piece peep sight

Rear view of the McLaughlin cocking piece sight

View of the NECG band ramp and perhaps the last Green Fiber front sight in the USA

Bottom view showing the reworked 1909 Arg trigger guard, a new straddle floor plate and latch, reshaped bow

A two panel checkered bolt handle rounds out the work

It was a pleasure to work with this customer, as he had thought out all of what he wanted, and supplied all most all of the parts.
And the Whelen has a fond place in my memories, as I packed a Mauser rifle in 35 Whelen from 1978 to 1993

Enjoy.

James Wisner

Posts: 1441 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
That has all the details for a mighty fine rifle. Who do you plan on doing the stock ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing piece.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice !

Posts: 709 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I like the cocking piece peep. It does need a barrel band front swivel base.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil.
The customer will be making the stock from what I understand
Have you seen the recent YouTube video where I make a Quarter Rib, you will get good laugh as the rifle getting the 1/4 rib belongs to our old friend Paul Broyles

Tom
This is the way the customer wanted it and it came out nicely

James Wisner

Posts: 1441 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
Phil.
The customer will be making the stock from what I understand
Have you seen the recent YouTube video where I make a Quarter Rib, you will get good laugh as the rifle getting the 1/4 rib belongs to our old friend Paul Broyles

Tom
This is the way the customer wanted it and it came out nicely

James Wisner

I hadn’t seen it, nor heard from Paul in eons . But thanks

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim. Thank you again for agreeing to perform this job for me , and this post.a little history for the viewers, I purchased the almost completed action from Clayton Nelson while taking a class at Trinidad state,( Clayton was forthcoming that he didn’t perform the action work) I sent the bolt & action to pac met for heat treatment right before they stopped that work. John McLaughlin told me this sight was the first one he offered for sale and if you’re familiar with them, they’re beautiful.straightforward order from Douglas on the barrel, which makes me ask why are so many barrelmakers backlogged a year ( and we’re waiting on them, myself included) while Douglas has delivered mine in maybe a month ? The rest of the excellent work is all Jim. He was likewise great to work with. Thank you again Jim

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One small forgotten thing , on the ACGG you tube site is a post ofJim installing his safety on this BA.

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you why Douglas can deliver barrels way faster than anyone else, and a history lesson for all you new guys. Douglas was the first custom barrel maker in the US, after WW2. The button rifling method was developed by Remington, and Douglas uses that method, although they did cut rifle thousands of muzzle loading barrels until about 30 years ago. I saw the room with about 20 Pratt and Whitney machines in it. Douglas developed a method of double reaming the drilled bores, and uses gear driven rifling buttons. Other makers use helical driven buttons; those don't work. And knows how to stress relieve before, and after, rifling. Many other makers do not know how, and do not do this, properly. Any time you get a barrel that shoots one hole, then 3 outside of that, it wasn't properly stress relieved.
How can they respond so quickly? They keep 1000 rifled blanks in stock, and make more daily. When an order comes in, they CNC profile it on a CNC lathe about as big as a small house. They air gauge each barrel (I have done it there), and visually inspect each barrel.
Long story short, they do it by institutional knowledge, experience, and efficiency of scale. I refuse to use any other maker, and really, none of them offer anything new, or better, than Douglas. Guys ask me to fit barrel brand X they just bought; I tell them, no. Fit it yourself.
Guys just like new names, but in this case, they are wasting time and money; and we need to support an old established firm. Not the new comers to the market. And I can't understand why anyone would wait a year for something they can get in a month, and it will be a better, or certainly as good, a product. Only for calibers which Douglas does not make and that is not any I know of.
Add to that, they are the nicest and easiest to deal with; they have my custom patterns and make barrels for those too. No other maker is as responsive, and yes, I have used them all in the past, with stories for each that you don't want to hear.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Very nice Jim. Very nice.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you have to anneal the cocking piece to mill the dovetail?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you have to anneal the cocking piece to mill the dovetail?

Jim.

No I did not have to anneal, as I use so many Carbide cutters anymore.

J Wisner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I'll tell you why Douglas can deliver barrels way faster than anyone else, and a history lesson for all you new guys. Douglas was the first custom barrel maker in the US, after WW2. The button rifling method was developed by Remington, and Douglas uses that method, although they did cut rifle thousands of muzzle loading barrels until about 30 years ago. I saw the room with about 20 Pratt and Whitney machines in it. Douglas developed a method of double reaming the drilled bores, and uses gear driven rifling buttons. Other makers use helical driven buttons; those don't work. And knows how to stress relieve before, and after, rifling. Many other makers do not know how, and do not do this, properly. Any time you get a barrel that shoots one hole, then 3 outside of that, it wasn't properly stress relieved.
How can they respond so quickly? They keep 1000 rifled blanks in stock, and make more daily. When an order comes in, they CNC profile it on a CNC lathe about as big as a small house. They air gauge each barrel (I have done it there), and visually inspect each barrel.
Long story short, they do it by institutional knowledge, experience, and efficiency of scale. I refuse to use any other maker, and really, none of them offer anything new, or better, than Douglas. Guys ask me to fit barrel brand X they just bought; I tell them, no. Fit it yourself.
Guys just like new names, but in this case, they are wasting time and money; and we need to support an old established firm. Not the new comers to the market. And I can't understand why anyone would wait a year for something they can get in a month, and it will be a better, or certainly as good, a product. Only for calibers which Douglas does not make and that is not any I know of.
Add to that, they are the nicest and easiest to deal with; they have my custom patterns and make barrels for those too. No other maker is as responsive, and yes, I have used them all in the past, with stories for each that you don't want to hear.

Tom, I sure miss Stan.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote