THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Browning Safari or 1909 bottom metal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Safari or 1909 bottom metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

I think I know the answer to this... but I'll see if you can tell me I'm missing something.

I while back, I bought a Browning Safari (FN Supreme Style) action that was from a 375H&H. A previous owner had punched it out to 375Wea, added a crude stock, and sold it to a local gunsmith. Nothing on the action was touched, but the gunsmith decided it was worth more as an action than a whole gun, so he disposed of the stock and barrel, then sold the rest to me.

I also have the bottom from 1909 Argentine that Jim Wisner extended to H&H length and added his floor plate.

I don't really like the the FN stye release, much preferring the in the bow style on the 1909. So, just to keep myself from over thinking this whole issue, I'm thinking I should just sell the FN bottom metal and lock in the decision to use the 1909. Something tells me I might miss having matching bottom metal, but something else tells me it'd be a mistake to use it.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 1306 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were mine and I was going to spend a considerable amount of dough on a new barrel, new wood, and the labor to make it a really nice rifle, I'd sell the supreme bottom metal and the 1909 bottom metal and purchase either a Wiebe or Swift-Blackburn bottom metal for it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I considered that as well.

But, the 1909 does look pretty nice with the new floor plate on it. Put the trim to the trigger bow, and it'd look pretty nice.

I also have a very nice Flaig's 458WM barrel with sights I contemplated spinning on this receiver after punching it to Lott, but I haven't thought it thru enough. I'm not sure it'll time up perfect, and I'm not sure the twist rate would work with what I wanted to do. Remarking the barrel to still look nice would be a bit of a challenge as well, as I do like the 'Flaigs' marking.

Posts: 1306 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id use the worked over Wisner, add the bottom metal of your choice.

the Browning action is opened in the front and the Wisner is probably opened just a tad in front and most in the rear..Thats a plus.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote