The Accurate Reloading Forums
Browning Safari or 1909 bottom metal

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/6421014312

20 August 2015, 09:25
Stokes
Browning Safari or 1909 bottom metal
Hey guys,

I think I know the answer to this... but I'll see if you can tell me I'm missing something.

I while back, I bought a Browning Safari (FN Supreme Style) action that was from a 375H&H. A previous owner had punched it out to 375Wea, added a crude stock, and sold it to a local gunsmith. Nothing on the action was touched, but the gunsmith decided it was worth more as an action than a whole gun, so he disposed of the stock and barrel, then sold the rest to me.

I also have the bottom from 1909 Argentine that Jim Wisner extended to H&H length and added his floor plate.

I don't really like the the FN stye release, much preferring the in the bow style on the 1909. So, just to keep myself from over thinking this whole issue, I'm thinking I should just sell the FN bottom metal and lock in the decision to use the 1909. Something tells me I might miss having matching bottom metal, but something else tells me it'd be a mistake to use it.

What do you guys think?
20 August 2015, 09:44
lindy2
If it were mine and I was going to spend a considerable amount of dough on a new barrel, new wood, and the labor to make it a really nice rifle, I'd sell the supreme bottom metal and the 1909 bottom metal and purchase either a Wiebe or Swift-Blackburn bottom metal for it.
20 August 2015, 10:03
Stokes
I considered that as well.

But, the 1909 does look pretty nice with the new floor plate on it. Put the trim to the trigger bow, and it'd look pretty nice.

I also have a very nice Flaig's 458WM barrel with sights I contemplated spinning on this receiver after punching it to Lott, but I haven't thought it thru enough. I'm not sure it'll time up perfect, and I'm not sure the twist rate would work with what I wanted to do. Remarking the barrel to still look nice would be a bit of a challenge as well, as I do like the 'Flaigs' marking.
01 September 2015, 23:53
Atkinson
Id use the worked over Wisner, add the bottom metal of your choice.

the Browning action is opened in the front and the Wisner is probably opened just a tad in front and most in the rear..Thats a plus.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com