THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Custom 243 FN Mauser - Stocked by Nils Hultgren w/ Ivory & Gold Inlays
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 243 FN Mauser - Stocked by Nils Hultgren w/ Ivory & Gold Inlays
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Hello All,

Here's one from the 1960s. Its a custom FN Mauser in 243 caliber. I'm still researching the exact maker, but I suspect there are only 4 possibilities, - Weatherby, Winslow, O'Brien, and A&M. All 4 used Nils Hultgren as their premiere stock maker. The action is beautifully engraved and the stock is wonderful fiddle-back Maple with walnut forend tip and grip cap. It has a carved ivory inlay of a Boar on a black ebony background that is signed by Nils at the bottom. The other large inlay is an ebony Boar silhouette on an ivory background. It also has ivory/ebony side inlays. And there are 2 gold inlays - one on the bottom of the floorplate is another Boar, and the one on the bottom of the trigger guard is a bear. I added a vintage Redfield 4x-12x ranging scope, and field tested it yesterday with excellent groups. This is sure to be the great Hog-Killer as it was intended by the original owner.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/FN-243-000.jpg

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't see the pic

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buck........

I think you can cross The O'Brien Rifle Company off of your list......as Vern only offered rifles, and a few handguns, in 17 caliber cartridges.

Also, since Nils Hultgren advertised(in Handloader magazine....I think) to do independent stock work, you may need to cast a wider net.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
I understand about O'Brien. I've never seen any caliber other than the 3 different .17 caliber variations.

As for Nils' independent work, all the inlays shown in the Winslow catalogs include the 2 boar variations on this rifle. Not sure if Nils had personal access to the various inlays that Winslow had.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or.....possibly.....Winslow had access to Nils Hultgren's personal designs/inlays........via Nils.

Kevin

An O'Brien.....

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well there is no way to know for sure, but I guided a fellow from the Galveston area a few times in years gone by, and he used a couple of flashy custom rifles with stocks and inlays that were very similar to what is in your photos. I know he said his rifles were from Winslow.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I've begun diligently searching through the 1,700 entries in my copies of the Winslow production records. I'm hoping I can find this rifle referenced.

In the mean time, I've completed a field test that proved that the rifle shoots as great as it looks. No doubt I'll be taking it afield this Fall.