The Accurate Reloading Forums
Custom 243 FN Mauser - Stocked by Nils Hultgren w/ Ivory & Gold Inlays

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/6251094572

11 August 2023, 04:53
buckstix
Custom 243 FN Mauser - Stocked by Nils Hultgren w/ Ivory & Gold Inlays
Hello All,

Here's one from the 1960s. Its a custom FN Mauser in 243 caliber. I'm still researching the exact maker, but I suspect there are only 4 possibilities, - Weatherby, Winslow, O'Brien, and A&M. All 4 used Nils Hultgren as their premiere stock maker. The action is beautifully engraved and the stock is wonderful fiddle-back Maple with walnut forend tip and grip cap. It has a carved ivory inlay of a Boar on a black ebony background that is signed by Nils at the bottom. The other large inlay is an ebony Boar silhouette on an ivory background. It also has ivory/ebony side inlays. And there are 2 gold inlays - one on the bottom of the floorplate is another Boar, and the one on the bottom of the trigger guard is a bear. I added a vintage Redfield 4x-12x ranging scope, and field tested it yesterday with excellent groups. This is sure to be the great Hog-Killer as it was intended by the original owner.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/FN-243-000.jpg

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar
11 August 2023, 06:42
Esskay
Can't see the pic
12 August 2023, 05:50
Kevin Gullette
Buck........

I think you can cross The O'Brien Rifle Company off of your list......as Vern only offered rifles, and a few handguns, in 17 caliber cartridges.

Also, since Nils Hultgren advertised(in Handloader magazine....I think) to do independent stock work, you may need to cast a wider net.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

12 August 2023, 07:51
buckstix
I understand about O'Brien. I've never seen any caliber other than the 3 different .17 caliber variations.

As for Nils' independent work, all the inlays shown in the Winslow catalogs include the 2 boar variations on this rifle. Not sure if Nils had personal access to the various inlays that Winslow had.

12 August 2023, 11:12
Kevin Gullette
Or.....possibly.....Winslow had access to Nils Hultgren's personal designs/inlays........via Nils.

Kevin

An O'Brien.....

13 August 2023, 05:53
Skyline
Well there is no way to know for sure, but I guided a fellow from the Galveston area a few times in years gone by, and he used a couple of flashy custom rifles with stocks and inlays that were very similar to what is in your photos. I know he said his rifles were from Winslow.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

13 August 2023, 17:32
buckstix
Hello,

I've begun diligently searching through the 1,700 entries in my copies of the Winslow production records. I'm hoping I can find this rifle referenced.

In the mean time, I've completed a field test that proved that the rifle shoots as great as it looks. No doubt I'll be taking it afield this Fall.