THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Duane Wiebe 9.3 x 62mm (Updated Final images 12/2/2014)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duane Wiebe 9.3 x 62mm (Updated Final images 12/2/2014)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted
Attached are some photos of my rifle Duane is working on. The illustration shows generally what I wanted the rifle to look like. I'll try to post more images as time goes.

I screwed up the rear bridge, sorry Duane!

Posts: 44 | Location: League city, TX | Registered: 21 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty nice to me. Am I correct that the rear bridge is welded on? If so, does the receiver need to be re-heat treated?

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It probably wouldn't hurt and its not expensive.

Really nice stick of wood, and perfectly laid out, something that is often overlooked these days, too much eye candy these days at the risk of stability IMO, but to each his own.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
Looks pretty nice to me. Am I correct that the rear bridge is welded on? If so, does the receiver need to be re-heat treated?

Dave,

The rear bridge is welded on, as for the heat treat part I do not know.
I'll let the pros comment on that.

Posts: 44 | Location: League city, TX | Registered: 21 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What receiver ? If typical case hardened steel it should be tempered twice [ right after welding ! ] to prevent cracking.

One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Really nice stick of wood, and perfectly laid out, something that is often overlooked these days, too much eye candy these days at the risk of stability IMO, but to each his own.

Thanks Ray,

Duane and I discussed the layout of a few blanks before picking this one.

I relied on his input for a blank with the correct layout. I didn't want anything real flashy,I'm pretty happy with it.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Is the front sight going to he a folding hood H&H style? What about rear sight? See none on the drawing; a removeable peep?

One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Is the front sight going to he a folding hood H&H style?

Correct, this is what I had in mind

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
With this project the bridge is gerting pretty crowded. I'm going to make a folding peep that wlll fit under the Talley ring....amd that's gtting pretty crowded too!
Please post the photos of your folding peep sight!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Question for you Duane. Is there or how practical would a swivel peep be? Two aperture sizes depending on need without having to screw multi diameters in. One size for the bush and one for open field. I dub thee the Safari Double Peep. Or Safari Swivel Peep?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please post the photos of your folding peep sight!

Indeed!

Odyssey:

I love that style of front sight. Favorite of them all. I'd scallop the ramp, but don't want to make to much work for Duane!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baxter...how thoughtful of you! HAR!

HA!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odyssey:
quote:

Duane did that front sight on my .404J. Very pleased.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...521/m/1191030271/p/2

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:

Duane did that front sight on my .404J. Very pleased.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...521/m/1191030271/p/2

Yup, your rifle is actually what pushed me over the edge on that sight. I saw that when planning mine. Very nice!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The stock blank really is nice, perfect grain flow, lots of contrasting stripes, just the right amount of bling. Mind if I ask who the supplier was?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
The stock blank really is nice, perfect grain flow, lots of contrasting stripes, just the right amount of bling. Mind if I ask who the supplier was?

Sure thing, I got it from Roger Vardy.
http://rogervardystockwood.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bought a lot of blanks from Roger. He has top notch wood.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I look forward to watching this project come together...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I alwaysnlike looking at Duane's work. But it took a month to drill one peep hole? Big Grin

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
I alwaysnlike looking at Duane's work. But it took a month to drill one peep hole? Big Grin

Haha Na, Duane sent this awhile ago. I've been pretty busy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do we get to see a photo of the finished product?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kablewee would have a stroke.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that's really nice.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice set up for irons and the lack of barrel mounted irons is good, so often you see barrel mounted irons and a peep, that's pure clutter and the peep sight is worthless, keep the barrel clean and use the peep..

Custom wood and metal must be kept clean and uncomplicated on a nice DG rifle like the 9.3x62 and up. My personal guns are built for iron sights, and I have no problem with using a scope on them, never has caused a miss that I know of. sofa

This one is going to be a dandy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
Below are some image updates of the build

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That is a nice piece of wood. It strikes a great balance between being nicely figured without being overdone. A piece of wood that is consistent with the types of wood used on the old English bolt guns. Well done.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
That is a nice piece of wood. It strikes a great balance between being nicely figured without being overdone. A piece of wood that is consistent with the types of wood used on the old English bolt guns. Well done.

Thank you MJines,

That is exactly what I had in mind when I was looking at blanks. I wanted something that looked nice but not flashy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The curved steel butt plate might be high style but it's really going to hurt recoil wise!

The 9.3 is a big caliber shooting a heavy bullet.

It needs a recoil pad instead.

A slip on pad would protect that fine stock and soften the recoil.

Some ideas need to be explored on how to do this.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
The curved steel butt plate might be high style but it's really going to hurt recoil wise!

The 9.3 is a big caliber shooting a heavy bullet.

It needs a recoil pad instead.

A slip on pad would protect that fine stock and soften the recoil.

Some ideas need to be explored on how to do this.

I call BS on this one. My own 9,3x64 weighs less than 8 lbs scoped and does not have a recoil pad. It does not hurt to shoot. Proper stock design and fitment contribute greatly to perceived or maybe lack of perceived recoil.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You say: "Proper stock design"!

I was waiting for a response that defended that stock.

Just look at the drop at the heel. That comb is going to hammer someones face.

I have a rifle with such a steel butt plate in 7mm RM and it hurts. I put a slip on pad on it at the range.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
"That comb is going to hammer someones face."

I'd be happy to let it hammer my face for years to come.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of odyssey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

ForrestB,

I see you're in Houston. When it's complete you're welcome to give it a try.

Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I call BS on this one. My own 9,3x64 weighs less than 8 lbs scoped and does not have a recoil pad. It does not hurt to shoot. Proper stock design and fitment contribute greatly to perceived or maybe lack of perceived recoil.

Yup tu2

That is an absosmurfly gorgeous piece of wood!!!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3289 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

+1

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
once you sight it in, how many times will you fire it, other than hunting? One round per animal if you are a good shot.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know my 9.3X62 is a somewhat smaller cartridge, but it is very pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous, beautiful, lovely, outstanding. Mine kicks, but I would rather be kicked by this beauty. Slip on pad---if you must, but only at the range!

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote