New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quarter ribs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious, but when adding a quarter rib to a barrel you have to get it pretty hot to get the solder to flow properly. I wonder if this does anything to the barrel heat treating? I'm doing a Hi-Wall with an octagon barrel and I want to add scope mounts but I don't want to drill holes over the chamber area for them, thus a quarter rib seems like the answer.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrels are not heat-treated, or hardened, like a receiver or other small, hard parts, if that's what you mean. They are soft steel as originally from the mill.
A soft solder that melts 400 to 450 degrees is more than adequate for holding ribs and sight bases and that temp will not bother the barrel steel. A small screw fastening the part to the barrel won't bother the area over your chamber either so long as you don't drill through heh, heh. The screws help a lot when it comes to aligning the part and cinching it down while soldering. Most times you can hide or incorporate tastefully a 6-48 screw. That's all you need.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bitterroot. Kinda what I was thinking but I figured I'd ask the question anyway just to see what others thought.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote