The Accurate Reloading Forums
Quarter ribs

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/6011030772

23 January 2024, 04:33
clowdis
Quarter ribs
Just curious, but when adding a quarter rib to a barrel you have to get it pretty hot to get the solder to flow properly. I wonder if this does anything to the barrel heat treating? I'm doing a Hi-Wall with an octagon barrel and I want to add scope mounts but I don't want to drill holes over the chamber area for them, thus a quarter rib seems like the answer.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
23 January 2024, 04:57
Bitterroot
Barrels are not heat-treated, or hardened, like a receiver or other small, hard parts, if that's what you mean. They are soft steel as originally from the mill.
A soft solder that melts 400 to 450 degrees is more than adequate for holding ribs and sight bases and that temp will not bother the barrel steel. A small screw fastening the part to the barrel won't bother the area over your chamber either so long as you don't drill through heh, heh. The screws help a lot when it comes to aligning the part and cinching it down while soldering. Most times you can hide or incorporate tastefully a 6-48 screw. That's all you need.

Bitterroot
www.americanhuntingrifles.com
23 January 2024, 17:04
clowdis
Thanks Bitterroot. Kinda what I was thinking but I figured I'd ask the question anyway just to see what others thought.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".