THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    need a lightweight guide rifle built
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need a lightweight guide rifle built
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a light weight 416, either rem or ruger to be built to my specs. would be willing to use it as a deposit on a hunt or work it into a hunt price as partial trade.
send me a pm if you might be able to do something of this nature.
looking for 7lbs with out scope
20" barrel
ruger action or other control round feed
stainless
short stock
iron sights/peep

in a nut shell

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd start with a standard Ruger 416 guide gun. It's chambered in 416 Ruger which is optimal for it's 20" barrel. It has factory iron sights. I'd loose the muzzle brake. To get it lighter, I'd get a Manners or MPI light weight stock.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have the ruger guide gun, firing pin rusted up in one day and now it only shoots about one outa every three shots...rest are just hollow clicks..can't trust it now.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
i have the ruger guide gun, firing pin rusted up in one day and now it only shoots about one outa every three shots...rest are just hollow clicks..can't trust it now.

Maybe cerakote it?

What about 416 B&M? Built on M70 action, optimized for short barrels:

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/416-B-M.html

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dang Jake. Guess I need to check which rifle you're carrying when I get to Anchorage next month? Smiler

My 1999 is in .375 H&H, 20" barrel with a B&C stock and it tips in at 7.5#. I'm at 8# 10oz with a a Leica 2.5-10x scope in Talley Lightweights.

I'd bet the larger .416 bore will shave a few ounces and a trimmer stock would get you right on 7#. You could probably get the barrel turned down on a lathe as well.

Actually: http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=182

They advertise 7# 6oz for that exact rifle with a 24" barrel. Maybe give them a call and see if they will build that rifle with a 20" bbl?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll probably have my 243 when you get here. Any gun that goes off is better than one that sometimes does. I'll check with Montana. Might try to buy back my old 416 NULA

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll probably have my 243 when you get here. Any gun that goes off is better than one that sometimes does. I'll check with Montana. Might try to buy back my old 416 NULA

Brown Bear Hunting with a .243 back up.

This trip is so going to rock! jumping

Seriously, that NULA you had was lovely. Featherweight it was!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the 416 Taylor Will has for sale in Firearms Classifieds.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i saw that taylor from will, but would need new dies, a shortened stock, remove the barrel band and rear sight on the barrel, not sure what the weight is? and cut and crown the barrell down to 20" or so. and don't like the drop floorplate, prefer a flush fit. pretty gun though.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I think I would give the Ruger another trial. I don't doubt your experience and understand how one bad experience can shape your opinion, but an overwhelming evidence from so many others should tell you something. And your experience will tell you what you need to watch for.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I must be lucky, I have owned my FN 375 H&H for more than twenty years, and the firing pin is still at 100% reliability.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gonna get it checked out and see if it's something simple. Have another ruger that I guided with for 12 years and never an issue. Love their action. But being on a grizz getting hammered last week and then the gun don't go off when I shot it later. Not good.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I must be lucky, I have owned my FN 375 H&H for more than twenty years, and the firing pin is still at 100% reliability.

Put a little Frogg lube on it and ignore it around salt water for awhile and let us know how well it works.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a gunsmith, but wonder if a firing pin made from stainless steel solve the problem?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm"; So as not to come off sounding like a condescending dick, I'll offer some actual helpful advice of contacting the Ruger Customer Service Department. They have one of, if not the best, customer service departments in the industry. I feel sure they will be interested in your experience and will want to help you however they can. If you take this tack, please let us know what your experience is please. That kind of information from industry professionals such as yourself is always helpful.

Thanks,

Lance

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lshopper:
"Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm"; So as not to come off sounding like a condescending dick, I'll offer some actual helpful advice of contacting the Ruger Customer Service Department. They have one of, if not the best, customer service departments in the industry. I feel sure they will be interested in your experience and will want to help you however they can. If you take this tack, let us know what your experience is please. That kind of information from industry professionals such as yourself is always helpful.

Thanks,

Lance

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lshopper:
"Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm"; So as not to come off sounding like a condescending dick, I'll offer some actual helpful advice of contacting the Ruger Customer Service Department. They have one of, if not the best, customer service departments in the industry. I feel sure they will be interested in your experience and will want to help you however they can. If you take this tack, please let us know what your experience is please. That kind of information from industry professionals such as yourself is always helpful.

Thanks,

Lance

Yes!

I have asked stupid questions and had them answered within 24 hours.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Jake, after reading your experience I thought I would get my rifles ready for another season so took all my camp Rugers apart for a good cleaning and lube and they all seem to be in top shape. which is typical for Rugers, as you know. I wonder what caused your rifle to rust so bad?
I think I would pull it apart to take a look and if you don't find anything take Lance's advice and ship it to Ruger.
And then keep things lubricated well with Corrosion X.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot