THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Anyone have Rifle with a Swift/Blackburn small Oberndorf guard bow?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have Rifle with a Swift/Blackburn small Oberndorf guard bow?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a pic of a custom rifle that utilizes a Swift/Blackburn small Oberndorf guard bow bottom metal? I'd really like to see how they look. Thanks

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3289 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks lindy. Based on that pic, it seems like the size of the bow is similar to an
'09, rather than the larger bow you see in the 20's and 30's. I had a square bridge action from 1912 that had a small inside release bow. It was basically just a 1909 bottom metal.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3289 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I superimposed a 1909 over Blackburn's illustration and if there's a difference, I can't tell it. If there was enough interest in the 1909 profile to pay the light bill, they would be offered.

We did a small run some years ago, no money in it.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know David Miller made his own bottom metal?

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I was looking at the Oberndorf bow Blackburn metals because I thought I might trade one to a fellow for an original Oberndorf 10.75x68 bottom metal. I was just told that he's not fond of the Blackburn, and is fairly set on an original commercial oberndorf 57mm unit, so I'm on the hunt for one of those. Thanks to all for your comments.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another paper I got from Ted. From this it appears that the large Oberndorf guard and the small Oberndorf guard are not the same. It appears that in addition to it's size, the large Oberndorf guard is somewhat of a hybrid of both the small Oberndorf Guard and the Blackburn guard.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
30-06, Beitzinger rifle, Fugger if not Cargnil engraving.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks rich and Lindy. The Stutzen rifle uses the Blackburn style bow, rather than the Oberndorf, but thanks for posting. Gorgeous rifle!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The paper that lindy2 posted from Blackburn's that shows a sketch of their Large Oberndorf guard bow seems similar to me in size to the guard bow on the Brno ZG-47.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Matt,
I have a rifle being built now using that exact bottom metal, but do not have any pictures as my smith just got started on it. Maybe in a few weeks I can help you a bit more.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
Matt,
I have a rifle being built now using that exact bottom metal, but do not have any pictures as my smith just got started on it. Maybe in a few weeks I can help you a bit more.

Thanks, Gundog!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the extremely poor pictures. I was in a hurry.
Hope these help Matt.
TOP Duane Wiebe 1936 Mexican bottom metal.

MIDDLE Blackburn standard length.

BOTTOM 1909 Argentine body with aftermarket straddle plate.

Just in case the pictures don't show properly, here are 2 direct links.

http://imgbox.com/3smtQc23
http://imgbox.com/gF8rN3yG

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the large bows as Idhao is cold country and gloves are a must most of the time..My favorite guard bow is the very large Brno mod. 21 an 22, but they are hard as hell to find..The last one I had I traded for a Blackburn, so if you can find one, it will be expensive..Im always on the lookout for them. I have them on a couple of rifles I built.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one I might sell

Posts: 3468 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do they look like.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
A brno 21? PM me a price?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I wouldn't think price would cause you pause.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
You need to quit thinking! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120