New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at finishing two Win 70 stocks that I've carved from blanks. I'm just curious the best finish to use. I've sanded down to 220 grit and wondering the best finish to go with from here. I've heard some people start with linseed oil right off and sand down, other people start with watered down tru oil and sand down eventually getting to straight tru oil after 2 or 3 coats, and I've heard some like to seal the wood before finish is applied. I'm going for high gloss finish so I know I have a lot of work to do before they're sent for checkering

Charles F. Bartlett

Posts: 80 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: 02 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend timberluxe. It is probably the easiest I have used.

Others will probably have different products they have been happy with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So there as many ways to finish as there are guys' doing it. But ,
the basics are, next use a clothe with warm water to lightly dampen wood, hit with blow dryer then sand with 220 lightly, the 0ne or two more times going finer with each application.

Seal with two coats, sanding in between, 220 or finer. some thin the first coat.

now apply finish or oil of choice. As to poly I have no experience.

apply oil, sand with wet dry, then rub, then wipe small areas at a time, repeat two or three times. then add finishing coats.

That is the basic process. wiping down or not with a cloth ( with some linseed oil on it ) on hand rubbed can have affect as to high gloss or duller finish.

For the first time there is nothing wrong with true oil.

also, I forgot to add putting a stain on which I have never done as I like a dull natural look.

Maybe the experts will chime in now Smiler

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

I have had great results with the Laurel Mountain product called "Permalyn". It is sold by Brownells and possibly others. It is offered as a two stage finish so you need a bottle of each. The first part is a thin sealer that soaks into the wood and penetrates more deeply. The second stage is an actual finish that can be built up by multiple applications to the desired level to fill the pores. I like the results.

Some of the other folks on the forum may recommend products that are just as good or even better. All I can do is give an endorsement of what has worked well for me.

It's always exciting to see the beauty of walnut come to life with a nice oil finish!

Good luck with the project!

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Forget Linseed oil; it does not seal anything; it is a finish from ancient times before they had chemistry.
There are far better finishes how, and if you want a gloss finish; most guys don't these days.
But you will need to wet sand the wood to fill the pores; otherwise it will never be smooth.
Read and practice that. Or come over and I'll show you how.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Laurel mt stains and finish are all good. So is anything Brownells sale; I use gun savr. And tru oil the old standby can't go wrong. For a gloss finish you might want spray poly, again, no one wants that these days. Gloss=Yuck.
Times chanted from 1963.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Pilkington's finish products, also from Brownells, for many years.

Follow their instrustions, which are very detailed, and you'll do fine.

I like a semi-gloss final finish.

A pic from the 80's.......

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Brownells and Midway are saying Pilkington's is NLA.

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
Both Brownells and Midway are saying Pilkington's is NLA.

That's too bad. I've not bought any in many years.

Hopefully, it's still being made.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a shame they discontinued it. The Laurel one sounds intriguing especially since the two products should take care of my needs at the moment.

Charles F. Bartlett

Posts: 80 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: 02 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Laurel Mountain product recently, an a flintlock, and I found it very easy to use and get a great-looking finish. The sealer is the same product as the finish, except diluted with a solvent to encourage penetration on the first coat.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An earlier thread on this topic may be of interest...
https://forums.accuratereloadi...1019521/m/4511090272

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had very good results using this recipe

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/...-for-stock-finishing

And use red garnet paper, c400 grit to sand it in. Oil stock, sand going in little circles and then rub the slurry into the stock. Let it dry and repeat. Start with red oil for the first coat or two, then once the colour is there go to finishing oil.

As you apply further coats drop down to 600 if not 1200 grit.

The secret is to really let each cost dry thoroughly and only apply a little oil at a time. It needs to polymerise and if you over oil it never will. It will take about 6 weeks to get a good finish, it takes time, but each coat really doesn’t take long to apply.

Once done its usable, but it takes a few months for it to really cure. A finger tip of good boiled linseed oil once a month for 12 months then a finger tip full every now and then.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Velvit oil is idiot proof IME (In My Experience - since I am an idiot!)

I get 100% pore fill with in the wood finish. Pics I have don't do justice.

Here's what I do (after sealing with 2:1 mineral spirits:spar urethane):
1) Wet sand 400 grit; leave build-up on stock, don't wipe off. Can't let it be too thick
2) Ditto with 600 grit (sometimes I do this step twice)
3) Wet sand with 800 grit; depends on the wood what happens next, but usually I wet sand once, leave a little on, and then do one more wet sanding and remove it all. Sometimes I have to go to a 1000 grit for the final removal
4) Hand rub with a minute amount of oil

Wait at least a week between each wet sanding.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hee Hee...guessing by now, the OP wished he'd never asked!

There must be thousands of stock finishing ideas with a bunch of the super natural and twilight zone thrown in.

A very good "finish" is simply soak in RAW linsed oil and set the stock aside for a month...Yes...the linseed oil WIll dry...that's why it's called a "drying oil"

From there on, one can refine ad infinitum to give this or that desired appeaance or result.

degree of "refnement" is where the smoke and mirrors start showing up.

Pick a procedure that seems comfortable and give it your best effort..It's not rocket science and...truth be known, you'll change to another procedure down the road anyway

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another thought..."Boiled linseed oil" simply is raw oil with additives...sometimes heavy metal additives...almost all "BLO" containes cobalt (Not good)

Most products like "Velvit" ...and Timberluxe" contain toluene. That is the very same POISON that put Jerry Fisher in the hospital twice until the medics got it doped out. He had been using "Plastic Oil" by Flecto.

Jerry died of multiple cancers...connection? Dunno!

Point? Read the labels and warnings, research and figure out your own level of acceptable risk

Remember when asbestos was so marvelous.....or leaded gasoline such a short cut to hi octane?

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quit using Flecto when advised by the guild member James Anderson that it contained Touenol (sp?)... I really liked the finish and it was the most weather proof product I tested on my Idaho roof..I like most of all Brownell's finishes particularly Gun-sav-R in the spray or can..A filler and Linseed Oil suits me and it has a luster all its own and I know some say it never cures or dries but I see a lot of old English rifle with Alkanet and Linseed still working and many being used to death in Africa by pro hunters and gun nuts, self included. I like Lin speed, and Birchwood Casey. Mostly I think good results depend on the person, I see all manner of finishes being used by the best and the worse, maybe it all works if properly done...I believe the wood makes a big difference also. Black walnut is full of big pores, French or European has few and easier to fill and hide if you must...some woods have almost no pores but most make poor gunstocks or rather plane stocks is a better explanation..My main complaint is high gloss is more waterproof and beautiful egg shell satin isn't by comparison, but high gloss will scare every animal in the country to death with that reflection, a plus for those plastic ugly stocks that I just cannot abide by. faint

Most of my hunting rifles are dead flat no reflection and probably a sponge if you neglect them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tung oil is overlooked....No..not "Tung oil finish" such as offered by Min Wax.

I'm talking pure tung oil. Realistically, about the best (on paper) gunstock finish ever. But...one big drawback...Not a small portion of homo saps are allergic to this natural finish.

Ain't a perfect world!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

But...one big drawback...Not a small portion of homo saps are allergic to this natural finish.

Does that mean allergic to the cured finish or those who are getting their hands wet with it, as in applying it?

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes tung oil is great stuff..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "drums" say some GI 's in WWII, handling Jap rifles developed allergies...So I assume wet or dry the situation persists. However, modern thinking seems to go with the idea that allergy victims is in low numbers.

What to do? Fact is that many finishes contain tung oil in small percentages....which also diminishes the advantages of tung.

Puts the stockmaker in a difficult situaion.