THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    James "Jim" Dubell, November 21, 1955 - July 8, 2015
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James "Jim" Dubell, November 21, 1955 - July 8, 2015
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
"Jim passed away on July 8, 2015 at the age of 59, due to complications following successful back surgery."

Jim Dubell Obituary and Memorial Guestbook

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang, thanks for letting us know...geez 59

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, that is a shocker. I never met Jim, but corresponded a good deal over work related matters and always found him friendly and easy to deal with. I have several rifles with barrels he rebored.

One is an original Mauser sporter with Westley Richards marking which he rebored from 8X57 to 9X57. He was reluctant to mark the barrel "9X57" because the actual 9X57 dimensions are somewhat smaller than the opened up 8X57 chamber, but I persuaded him to simply erase the "7." from the "7,9" marking on the barrel, and he seemed content with that.

If I remember correctly, he reduced his work force to himself during the economic downturn and I suppose never increased it, so I suppose his death effectively closes the business.

What a loss to his family and to the shooting community!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad to read the news. Jim was an excellent metalsmith. His re-boring service will be missed as well. RIP Jim.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad news. RIP Jim....

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we are diminished...

rest in peace Jim.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is almost impossible to convey what a really nice guy he was. Sad to hear. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear this news and wish his family condolences. I have a .270 Jim did the metalwork on, a G 33/40 Mauser. It is a very nice piece of functional art. He was a craftsman and will be missed.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I only met Jim once but I found both he and his wife to be great people. I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Only 59! If you want to do it do it now!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only 59! If you want to do it do it now!

I thought the same Jason. Way too young to pass... a man thinks he has the bulk of his golden years ahead of him at 59.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Very very sad news --

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38474 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Jim.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May he rest in peace, his life was cut too short.

I do have trouble reconciling "successful surgery" with terminal results. Successful to who?

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sad news. Jim rebored a barrel for me earlier this year. This is difficult to believe.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
Word is the surgery was elective and during the procedure Jim went into cardiac arrest and suffered a pulmonary embolism. He had done some barrel work for me and was always very pleasant to deal with. Jim was also an excellent wood craftsman. I recall examining a drilling that Jim had patched in new wood to replace what had been removed by some previous owner for a different rear sight. The wood used for the patch was so well matched to the old stock and so well fitted that a magnifying glass combined with being shown where to look was needed to see the repair.
What a loss of talent. He will be missed, and remembered.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote