THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Want to build a rifle for my Daughter!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to build a rifle for my Daughter!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My step-daughter who turned eight yesterday has expressed an interest in hunting with me. So I'm thinking of building her a first big game rifle. She really wants to hunt elk, but I'm going to cut her teeth on pronghorn, deer and pigs first.

My criteria for the rifle:

1. Light weight rifle fit to her that she can carry and learn to shoot well off hand.

2. Must have light recoil but still a good selection of usable bullets for above mentioned starter game.

3. Back up sights to the scope, and prefer a rear aperture.

Her Criteria:

1. Wood stock, but I've talked her into a cut down synthetic until she is older. That way I can have spacers made so it can grow with her. She’ll probably reach at least 5’10” if not more before she is done.

2. Synthetic stock must be pink camo.

So I'm thinking of a .250-3000 for her first rifle. I’m talking to Kevin Weaver for the build, and he is recommending a Mini Mauser action. He has a couple with the correct bolt face, so I have the problem solved of where to find one. My other option is the M7 or 700 actions, but then I’d have to locate a donor rifle or action. I’ve seen what TC1 was able to do with his Mini action so I’m kind of leaning that way.

If I go with the Mini action I want to add a safety. Move the floor plate release to the trigger bow instead of a cross bolt. Kevin said he would have to lengthen the magazine to get it usable for the longer .257 bullets. Pac-Nor 20” light weight barrel 1:10 twist with banded front sight. I’d like to have the rear sight be integral with the rear scope base, so who makes the best one? Plus who makes a “pink camo” stock for a Mini Mauser action? Is there any other reason I shouldn’t be using the Mini action as well?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light on the recoil and can hunt almost everything larger bullet selections 6.5x55,7x57,and 7mm-08 would be my suggestions from the info given.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I went this route, sad part is, she showed interst in hunitng, but when actually got old enough to go, decided she didnt like the idea....good thing I didnt "build" a rifle for her.

But I did buy a Rem 700 LSS Mountain rifle in 7mm-08. I purchased a take-off Youth model 700 stock that I will have cut down and do the spacer thing for my son.
I have a couple of yrs before my son is old enough to go hunting, but I can have him out with some 120gr squibs this summer.

IR to your stock needs, I am not sure if Mcmillan does a stock for the mini mauser, but if they do, you could have them do a Mcswirly in any thought up color scheme under the sun.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Started the wife and stepson off with a 243. She quickly swithced to a 7x57. As others have said 243, 6.5x55, 7-08, 7x57. all will fit the bill. The latter 3 will even work for elk.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a 6mm TCU on a mini, MPI stock that made a very light wt rifle. The stock could be painted pink, as could a wood stock, just a little sandpaper away from being another color later.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I think the 250-3000 is an excellent idea for an 8 year old girl. With practise it will not 'bash' her and the mild muzzzle blast will not put her off either.

It sounds like a lot of work and expense to get the mini mauser to work properly for a rifle that may only have a lifespan of 2-3 years.

May I recommend a short action Rem 700. Plentiful parts and lots of options including available stock/colour choices. Any good gunsmith can fit a tall front sight ramp. NECG/Recknagel provide rear aperture sights that fit weaver bases. These give a good long sight radius.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:
I went this route, sad part is, she showed interst in hunitng, but when actually got old enough to go, decided she didnt like the idea....good thing I didnt "build" a rifle for her.

I've taken that into consideration as well, that she may not want to hunt. Then I'll have a .250 that I can restock for myself. Wink She doesn't have to hunt, I'll never force her. She does enjoy shooting sports, and having her own rifle is never a bad thing either. She does love to shoot her pink crickett and go to the indoor archery range so I'm hoping to keep that cultivated in her at the very least.

I've considered the other cartridges mentioned as well. I'm just leaning towards the Mini action and I know they will work in it. If I do decide to do something different I've got a sporter M96 carbine on the way that I can always use as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Started my grandson shooting at 7 and hunting at 9. His favorite was my Rem mod 600 in .222. At age 11 he moved up to .243. The .222 and .223 did do excellent on deer despite what some say.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Started my grandson shooting at 7 and hunting at 9. His favorite was my Rem mod 600 in .222. At age 11 he moved up to .243. The .222 and .223 did do excellent on deer despite what some say.

She'll be shooting a .223 soon as I can cut my Stevens 200 down to fit her. However the .223 isn't legal in Colorado for use on big game. When it comes time for her to elk hunt I'll move her up to at least a 6.5X55.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Oh brother, not again... sofa

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started my 10 year old nephew hunting deer and pigs with a 308 using Remington Managed low recoil ammo.

Kicks less than a 243 and kills game real good.

Whe she gets older she can use full power 308 ammo, on elk.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
Is there any other reason I shouldn’t be using the Mini action as well?

For the 250-3000, I feel the mini mauser action is too small. It is just barely suitable for the .22-250.

I'm currently building a 6.5 Grendel on a Mini-Mauser. Much better IMO.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
remington adl 708 youth .. reload with 100gr hornady hp ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38465 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
Is there any other reason I shouldn’t be using the Mini action as well?

For the 250-3000, I feel the mini mauser action is too small. It is just barely suitable for the .22-250.
\

same oal, mike

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38465 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
No Jeff, The .250 Savage is longer.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
250-3000 would require a Krutz lenght action the step above the mini mauser

one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted a picture in the Custom section a few days ago of a mini-mauser I built in 6BR. It was a 22-250 bolt face, and my original intent was to do a 250 Savage. I spent a lot of time lengthening the magazine, cutting back the rear reciever bridge and modifying the bolt stop. Bottom line, it isn't long enough. I moved the rear magazine box wall back until it hit the trigger, and cut the bolt stop until there was barely enough to be functional. The action functioned, but wit a max of 100 grains bullets. There was no way I was going to grind on the feed ramps to make it work, given the amount of metal behind the lugs. I still doubt if you could get anywhere near the OAL needed for full length loads.

I built rifles just like this for my daughters years ago and stuck with Mini Mark X and Sako L461. They were chambered in 6x45 and 6x47. They both killed deer cleanly (uh-oh!) and I have used them for varmints. If you use a mini action, I would stay with one of the 6mm wildcats or a 6BR.

One other obvious choice might be a CZ527 in 7.62x39. I know several people who have gone this route with kids, and it worked out well.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:

One other obvious choice might be a CZ527 in 7.62x39. I know several people who have gone this route with kids, and it worked out well.

I am also building a Grendel on a cz527 for my son. I kinda like the fact that I can control when he gets cartridges by removing/inserting the magazine.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a young daughter that loves pink, she has a pink mathwes bow right now. There are a few places making pink stocks right now like the houge overmold which comes in pink, and mcmillen, but I don't know is you could get one for the mini mauser. One option is to send it to someone like CAS II who could paint it in any color that you like. If my girls want to shot a rifle I have a tang saftey Ruger youth model to start them off on and if they stick with it have Lex Webernick of Rifles Inc put together one of his Strata's in 7mm-08, he will also paint a stock in pink on request.

Posts: 54 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm-08 was my first thought.
6.5x55/260 would be second.

I would not do the 250-3000.

It seems to me that you are making this a whole lot more work and expense than it needs to be.

The 7mm-08 will be easy to find, easy to get a youth stock & accessories. Easy to load for. Start with 100gr light loads and work up. My friends 14 yo daughter shot her elk with a 7mm-08 and 140gr Nosler Partitions this year.

The other factor is what cartridges do you currently have? Just get a rifle that fits her, so chambered. You will already have the reloading overhead to facilitate inexpensive, light loads.

I started both of my boys with 22's, then light loaded 22-250's, then full loaded 22-250's. My oldest then went to light loaded 270 Win, hunted with full power 110gr TSX loads this past year. This year he moving up to full power 130gr loads.

My youngest is going to light loaded 270 loads this year. I picked up 85gr TSX's to try, can't imagine them not working on deer/antelope. Or he may use the 22-250. His choice, whatever he is comfortable with and shoots the best.

But the 22 calibers are not a legal hunting option for you in Colorado.

Why did I choose a 270? simply because that is what I shoot and had all the components already.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I googled "max oal in a mini_mauser"
I think that was it...
Anyway at Brownwll's site, a guy did a switch barrell on a mini that was 22-250....then went to a 30RAR necked to 7mm. They make a stock for it, no mag to alter........read the story, I won't get it right.
I am using a CZ527 in 7.62x39 for a shortened 6.5x54 MS.........my daughter may grab it.......at 33 she can still talk me out of ANY gun I build......

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If elk might be in her future, then I'd recommend a 300 Savage. It has a short standard OAL of 2.6". You can shoot downloaded 130 grain bullets for antelope and deer and it will have light recoil. When she gets older, you can put heavier 150 gr or 180 gr bullets for elk. Several decades ago, the 300 Savage was considered a good elk cartridge and it still is. I built my son a 300 Savage in a short action 700 and it makes stock swaps and other component changes easy as he gets bigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong....
Is the 700 short action lighter than a Model 7?????

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Model Seven action is slightly lighter than the short action 700 by about 2 oz. The length of the Seven action is about 1/2" shorter. The factory Seven stocks and barrels generally are slimmer and shorter. The magazines of both are 2.8".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks duckboat......
So adding in length.......damn 1/2 an inch! Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
I posted a picture in the Custom section a few days ago of a mini-mauser I built in 6BR. It was a 22-250 bolt face, and my original intent was to do a 250 Savage. I spent a lot of time lengthening the magazine, cutting back the rear reciever bridge and modifying the bolt stop. Bottom line, it isn't long enough. I moved the rear magazine box wall back until it hit the trigger, and cut the bolt stop until there was barely enough to be functional. The action functioned, but wit a max of 100 grains bullets. There was no way I was going to grind on the feed ramps to make it work, given the amount of metal behind the lugs. I still doubt if you could get anywhere near the OAL needed for full length loads.

I built rifles just like this for my daughters years ago and stuck with Mini Mark X and Sako L461. They were chambered in 6x45 and 6x47. They both killed deer cleanly (uh-oh!) and I have used them for varmints. If you use a mini action, I would stay with one of the 6mm wildcats or a 6BR.

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Kevin was basically doing everything you just said you did to your Mini action. He had just started opening up the action and extending the magazine box on a Mini, when I talked to him about it last summer when I picked up my .300 H&H. I didn’t figure I’d ever use bullets larger than 100 grains, but if the heavier bullets are not even an option I’ll just go out and pick up an ADL to use as a donor.

I simply chose the .250 because it was pretty much the lightest recoiling round that I could find capable of pushing a 100 grain bullet to 2900+ fps. Made it pretty much an easy choice for her if I’m going to try and build her a lightweight rifle she can carry easily afield. There are plenty of bullet options from varmints to deer as well for me to reload with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm building a Mini-Mauser in 30BR for my 9 year old daughter. 7BR or 6BR would be better if you don't want to mess with neck turning or a custom chamber reamer. 7BR dies are cheaper too. I'm going with the 30BR because I already have a Kreiger barrel with plenty of life left in it. The 30BR will also allow me to adjust power levels from less than 30-30 up to .300 Savage-ish. I'm planning on using the 130 TSX and 150 partition bullets for hunting and the various 100-125 for practice. The 2.350 OAL limits the bullets that can be used in the magazine. It would be a heck of a lot easier and probably cheaper to pick up a Rem700 youth in .243 and do what I need to on the stock, but you only get one first rifle and I want this to be special for her.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Junior shooter, still quite young-- why not start with a single shot like a Ruger #1. 250-3000 is fine deer/antelope cartridge under supervision, with low recoil. She might actually enjoy the range shooting rather than being afraid of the recoil. If you are having a barrel installed search for a 1/9 twist which will handle bullets as heavy as you are likely to want in the cartridge. Lots of safety factor with a single shot. How many shooters started with a single shot 22rf.? You can lengthen the stock by adding spacers when required just like you can with a synthetic. If she doesn't stay with the sport you have a rifle that could be rechambered to a Bob or 25/06 if you wished and then add a full length butt for your self.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Girls/women don't give a rat's axx about the hardware. Anything that fits her and has light recoil will be just fine. Any 6mm will work, or a lightly loaded 7 x 57 of 7-08. Why go to an obsolete cartridge like 300 Savage? Keep your focus on her needs, not your desire to build a rifle.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
<<<Keep your focus on her needs, not your desire to build a rifle.>>>

The two can coexist. We are in the custom rifle forum afterall.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Savage is hardly obsolete. Even if it was obsolete, this is a reloading website, so as long as the brass is available (it always will be), obtaining ammo is not a problem. If you really wonder why a person would build a 300 Savage, there is one simple reason - It efficiently kills anything up to elk with moderate recoil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Girls/women don't give a rat's axx about the hardware. Anything that fits her and has light recoil will be just fine. Any 6mm will work, or a lightly loaded 7 x 57 of 7-08. Why go to an obsolete cartridge like 300 Savage? Keep your focus on her needs, not your desire to build a rifle.

Tell that to my wife and daugther. Neither one like stainless and synthetic rifles. My wife leans towards laminate stocks, and my daughter likes fancy walnut and her pink laminate cricket. I bought my wife a synthetic blued .204 Ruger since she likes to shoot prairie dogs with me. She refused to shoot it until I put a laminated wood stock on it. They might not care about the cartridge it is chambered in but they do care about how it looks.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I did my mini mauser in 7mmBR.
No kick w/120/140gr,
Factory synthetic stock,
med/heavy 19" WindRiver barrel,
burris 4-12
Warne/weaver grandslam mounts.
Anderson 09 style bottom metal.

Feeds just ok, shoot 1 hole, but you gotta reload.

quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
I'm building a Mini-Mauser in 30BR for my 9 year old daughter. 7BR or 6BR would be better if you don't want to mess with neck turning or a custom chamber reamer. 7BR dies are cheaper too. I'm going with the 30BR because I already have a Kreiger barrel with plenty of life left in it. The 30BR will also allow me to adjust power levels from less than 30-30 up to .300 Savage-ish. I'm planning on using the 130 TSX and 150 partition bullets for hunting and the various 100-125 for practice. The 2.350 OAL limits the bullets that can be used in the magazine. It would be a heck of a lot easier and probably cheaper to pick up a Rem700 youth in .243 and do what I need to on the stock, but you only get one first rifle and I want this to be special for her.

Posts: 6392 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't the correct forum for this and I might run afoul of a lynch mob carrying pitchforks, but for an 8 year olds first rifle I'd seriously consider a TC contender or encore. There is no law saying she can only have one rifle in her life, but the big thing here to me is that she can shoot this with a 22 barrel and get familiar and comfortable with her rifle and you can always get different barrels depending on what you want to hunt with her. Stocks are easy and cheap to change as she grows and she'll be able to store the old one for her own children.

Anyway, she can graduate from a 22lr to a 22 hornet and then when she wants to go deer hunting you'll be able to decide on as many chamberings as you like.

My daughter is 10 and has a Chipmunk rifle (same thing as the cricket) and this is the route I think I will take with her. When she is 17 and has a clear idea of stuff she likes to hunt then I'll think of a custom build but a first gun needs to be something she likes to shoot- a lot! If the 250 turns out to be too much gun for her it will be a disaster. (Don't believe me? here is a story- when I was 9 I was given a 28 gauge ML shotgun for my birthday. One of the first times I took it shooting I watched a friend of my Dads load his 16 gauge SXS and of course since everything was there on the bench I loaded up mine the exact same way. I have probably only fired that gun 5 times since then and I still do not like to even dry fire it)

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I don't understand what happened. Are you saying you were able to fire 16 gauge shells in your 28 gauge? What happened that made you shy of the 28 gauge?

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Duckboat sorry I should have been a little clearer!

It was a muzzle loader (ML). Seeing as there was a powder measure and all there it was just a case of "monkey see, monkey do". My dads friend was named Ray Hopper, and he asked me when I went to shoot how I'd loaded it (since I didn't have my own powder flask or shot) and I said I loaded it just like he did (with what turned out to be a full power 16 gauge load). Well he just smiled a little and said "OK".

Gun roared and shoved me back, I think that is the only time I have ever actually have a gun actually get away from me and hit the ground. Needless to say dad and Mr. Hopper found it amusing but I have never given a greenhorn a heavy kicker because of that experience.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stocker recomended a Ruger #1 a couple of post ago. My wife wants to sell her #1 in 7x57. This is a great rifle for a girl or women. It was custom stocked by the old Fajen company in Warsaw MO. This was the International Model with a 20" barrel with open sites and rings.
My wife is short and this gun is only 34" long. She can hold it by the pistol grip by her side and the muzzle does not touch the ground. This gun is stocked in a very fancy piece of maple with a natural finish. It was the best piece of maple they had in the shop. It has a very high comb with a rollover check piece. The butt of the stock was cut with a twist so that the toe of the stock twist out and keeps the recoil in the pocket of the shoulder and away from a womens breast. This stock has about a 12 or 12&1/2 inch LOP including the recoil pad. We also have the orginal butt stock and full length forend. Very little recoil and you can hunt most anyplace in the world with this caliber. If this is something you are interested in contact me.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ruger in 257 Roberts for sale - if interested.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
I've got a Ruger in 257 Roberts for sale - if interested.

KB

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass along with army aviator's 7x57. Both sound like great rifles, but I've got a couple more years before I need to get serious about a big game rifle for he. Think I'll just get my Savage cut down and see how she does with a .223 over the next couple of years.